VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 April 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was really looking forward to this book and was puzzled by the very dismissive views of seemingly bored students. First of all, aged eyes say this is a book for Kindle magnifications and not for print.
I gripe that media, which is after all to enlighten, entertain and shock is presented in a somewhat joyless fashion. My A level history teacher was more electrified when she described the sudden success of Protestantism was due to the printing press and the unprecidented dissemination of what one very annoyed monk had nailed to a church door. At times the statements are very parochial...I wanted to know if the Quiet train carriage had been introduced in other parts of the world.
Not only is it slightly dated (2009), but it misses out one component almost completely, (which to skirt around Amazon's auto filters I will describe as the adult entertainment industry.). The p....graphy world is mentioned once, in the context of De Sade, 18th Century only. Ummn OK, VHS tapes, DVDs, glossy magazines, the Internet, all a bit of a driving force for.....If you have heard of the monochrome service WAP (which does get a reference) on mobile phones which tried to present some sort of graphics pre smartphones, I can assure you that there was an attempt to present excited unclothed people on that very early in its introduction. Although I maintain a disinterestedness in the pictoral, it would seem to be a driving force in human lives and education, for good or ill. Since this is also very dated it also cannot ask the question, would Savile have got away with it in the instant communication era? Yesterday a political candidate stepped down because of his dated views, other politicians have recordings of their contrary viewpoints shared and brass it out. Actresses have private moments that get hacked and broadcast. This really isn't a book of the moment, but it wasn't in 2009 either, or 1989.
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At around 340 pages, including reading lists and an interesting timeline, this book can't cover everything about media, so focuses on context and impact. Subtitled "from Gutenburg to the Internet" it covers those (to an extent in the case of the latter), and many other things. There's a lot on technology and communication (both electronic and physical, such as the train system) and is a decent if occasionally superficial survey of the topic.
Some of the more important chapters include New Processes and Patterns (the evolution of transport and communications) and Information, Education and Entertainment - three broad buckets into which to pace (most) media.
As an introduction to the subject it is excellent, no doubt many will wish to dig deeper into some of the topics, but this book wisely avoids that in the interests of size / accessibility.
Why 4*? Well the cyberspace section is very thin (and is so current we can't yet fully judge how things like social media are really evolving society, and the timeline while of some interest doesn't integrate well into the book as a whole. I also felt the chapter on convergence could be evolved further, but I am only a casual reader of this subject, so may well be wrong
VINE VOICEon 6 June 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One only needs to look at the authors (Asa Briggs and Peter Burke) to know that this is going to be a book worth reading and it certainly does not disappoint.

The media holds an ever increasing grip on our way of life: whether it is the way in which our views are channelled by news programmes, or the rise of social media assuring us that our beliefs are the 'norm'. This book gives a history of the media, from its earliest guise to the twenty-first century megalith.

If one is to understand the present status of media companies, it is important to know the history. I thought that I had a working understanding of our media industry but, I found much of which I was simply unaware in this fascinating book. If you are a student of the media, you NEED to read this: if you aren't, you OUGHT to read it!
on 20 May 2012
good book good source of media studying
it covers all important history in this book
some chapters are very good
VINE VOICEon 10 May 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is dense and not for casual reading. It is, however, fascinating. Everything you need to know about media is in here, and then some. It is obvious Briggs and Burke know their subject well. It is presented in a manner which makes sense, even to those not intending an in depth study. For the media studen this book is gold. From what I know, and I am no expert here, the historical context is sound. It covers every conceivable aspect of the media including oral traditions. I could highly recommend, for both interest and broadening your knowledge.
VINE VOICEon 12 May 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Some odd criticisms of this book. I see this as a broad, general overview of media history, designed to whet the appetite and get you thinking. It can't cover every area in detail. But it can get you wanting to find out more about niche areas. It is authoritative,clear and not too opinionated, which may weaken it on terms of controversy and fun, but are logical weaknesses in any general textbook. In its own terms, excellent. If you are just starting to study media, I'd call this essential. Good stuff..
VINE VOICEon 17 August 2017
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is unfortunately not the book I was looking for. I suppose it was the sub-title that made it attractive to me as I thought that this would be a light historical overview of the social history of media. It is in fact a serious academic text on the subject and this is too dense for what I was expecting. The late main author is very highly respected in the field and I am sure that it is a very good textbook, but it is beyond the level that I needed and expected.
on 31 October 2010
Used as a textbook for Hsitory of Communications, content is god but the font the too small! bit hard to read!
on 26 October 2010
Pleased with the item, very good condition, took a while to arrive but i didn't realise it was shipped over from US, seller responds back quickly. Thanks very much