on 24 May 2009
So it Begins continues with the legacy started by Breach the Hull. Breach the Hull exposed me to several authors whom I had never heard of (e.g Bud Sparrhawk and Jeffery Lyman) and as a result I am now on the lookout for their works.

The stories in SIB are captivating and stimulate plenty of thought. To Spec by Charles E Gannon keeps you wondering right up to the end. Grendel By Jack Campbell gives insight into His Lost Fleet Series and continues to be my favourite of the 16 separate stories in this anthology. Personally coming from an engineering background I found Gunnery Sergeant by Lyman compelling reading as humanity rushes to get its new ships ready for battle. The ending of Glass Box by Bud Sparrhawk will definitely draw a reaction from you as a Marine endeavours to rescue a young girl left behind in enemy territory.

Even if you're not that into scifi the book is well worth reading. This book will have something for you, your parents and everybody who reads it. It will expose you to several talented authors who will draw you into unique worlds and often leave you wishing for more. Another feature is that you can read one story at a time while having a spare five minutes though I couldn't put it down. I eagerly await the next instalment of the Defending the Future series and await the authors return to the universes each one created.

A welcome distraction from the real world.
on 4 November 2010
I bought this because of the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.

I heartily recommend this book since I found it very entertaining and I read it all the way through before getting to the story that drew my interest.

If like me you like science fictions especially like the Lost Fleet or are looking for remarkable tales then take a look at this book, you won't be sorry you did!
on 13 March 2014
A good mix of SciFi with a more military style. Enjoyed this and would recommend it if you like humanity struggling against the alien hoards.
on 14 January 2017
Brilliant book
on 20 January 2011
I found the collection hugely disappointing. They didn't hit the spot for me - maybe they're just better suited to the "space opera" stage with time to build things up. Especially dis-satisfied with the Jack Campbell, as that's really why I bought the book.