Snow Sense: A Guide to Evaluating Snow Avalanche Hazard Paperback – 1 Dec 2000
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Just like all the other books on avalanche safety, you need to combine the content with practical experience. Perhaps 'Snow Sense' is best looked upon as essential preparatory reading for an avalanche course?
It clearly and succinctly describes how to recognise, minimise and avoid danger in the back-woods. All this is without resorting to bewildering levels of science.
Read it before heading out - you're never too old to be told.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Avalanches don't simply explode out of nowhere. The ones that kill people are usually started by the victims. This book will teach you that such catastrophes are avoidable. You can learn to recognize and evaluate avalanche hazards. You can learn to "read" the snowpack, "read" the mountains, and save your skin. "Snow Sense" is a hands-on, explicit, clear-thinking, hard-hitting field guide that teaches you how. By studying the book's "bulls-eye" clues to snowpack stability, hardness tests, shear block tests, weather analysis, simple physics, and hazard checklists, you'll come away with all you need to know about avalanches and how to avoid being caught by one.
Read it once. Read it again. Take it into the field and practice the skills it teaches. Every time I hear of another avalanche-caused death in the Rockies, I wish the victim had read this book. The survivors must read it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Meteorology
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Natural Disasters
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Weather
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Earth Sciences
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues > Social Welfare & Services
- Books > Sports, Hobbies & Games > Winter Sports > Skiing > Practical Guides
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Guidebook Series
- Books > Travel & Holiday > Speciality Travel > Skiing