on 18 February 2014
Good story but some characters do not seem to have any sensitivity at all. The grief suffered by Sarah doesn't cause her any day to day hardships. The grammar is very bad. Found myself waiting for the next "he was sat". Proof readers need lessons in English grammar!
on 15 March 2014
I read some of the reviews of this book and decided to give it a go as it sounded interesting. I did read through to the end, but only in slightly horrified fascination, to see how things were tied up. I am giving 6 reasons why I think this book is awful.

#1: PLOT HOLES TO END ALL PLOT HOLES
The enitre premise of this book is based on something that would never, ever happen, therefore from the start for me was so utterly flawed as to be unbelievable: A little girl goes missing after school. The scene is described as the class leaving their classroom after school on their own, waving their teacher goodbye. The are 6 and 7 year old children. The idea that this would happen is preposterous. No school in the UK would let Year 2 children out of the school on their own. Teachers and TAs would accompany the children, make sure they go to known parents/carers and then take any stragglers back to the office to wait, behind locked doors, for their latecoming carers. The idea that a child would be allowed to wander off, out of the school gates, is just rather silly. The other procedurally nonsensical element in this book is the description of the police 'handing it over to the CID' for the weekend and then only putting together a proper team and procedure on the monday, 3 days after the child disappeared. Really? Other elements of police procedure described are laughable too. It seems from this that Swiss police are inept and stupid, the descriptions of their actions are incomprehensible. It's hard to get past such gaping holes - and there are many.

#2: PREJUDICE, SNOBBERY AND IGNORANCE:
The setting of the child's home, a council estate, is described in no less than ignorant and prejudiced terms - obviously through the eyes of the author, thinly veiled as the police's thoughts - too thinly. Has this guy swallowed the Daily Mail for breakfast? He describes how there are so many new cars down the street, 'yet they cannot afford their mortgages', and describes it in such depressing and derogatory terms it is obvious what he thinks to the scrounging lowlife on such estates. He makes other throwaway comments relaying his own ignorance, for example 'my mum was a good mum, despite being a vicar's daughter.' Er ... what? Because of course, vicar's daughters are patently incapable of being good mums. This kind of sentiment peppers the pages of this book.

#3: GRATUITOUS, GRAPHIC SCENES
Some of the descriptions in this book left me colder than cold. I am not sure the place of graphic descriptions of rape of children and women have in such work - I came out feeling slightly soiled, like I'd participated in someone's perverted fantasies. The impact of the book without such description I think would have been better - readers don't need leading through in such detail. <reaches for the brain bleach> There is an extended graphic scene of rape near the end which I feel was completely superflous to the plot - there was no need for more violence at this point, it seemed to me to only be there in order for the author to indulge in some kind of gratuitous fantasy. Even the cover picture seems somehow....off. To be honest, it worried me a little.

#4: WOODEN CHARACTERISATION
The characters were one sided and unbelievable. Some of these characters were in deep grief, yet going about their lives as if nothing had happened. Parental grief was shunted into a couple of paragraphs but did not equate with how the particular characters acted before and after. The main character, Sarah, had lost her partner, soon to be wife, and a pupil in her class in a few days, but her behaviour in no way reflected this - singing round the house etc. Very one sided and strange. Other characters in the story had no life to them - nothing to place them apart from others. The villain was perhaps the only one to be built up in a more creepy and compelling manner - but it was obvious who he was from very early on.

#5: GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION ERRORS
The book is littered with grammatical errors, especially the incorrect use of commas. It doesn't seem that this author knows how to use commas in any way. There are also petty mistakes, like the wrong names being used. It makes for stilted and difficult reading at times.

#6: NO ENDING
And finally....I read to the end, just to see if the villain got his comeuppance, but it ended so abruptly nothing was resolved. So having read through all the gratutitous descriptions I was rewarded with very little. Perhaps the author wanted to leave it to one's imagination, but so much had been lost in the book already, with very little hope on the horizon - a series of horrifying events, that some kind of closure would be A Good Thing.

Would I read this author again? Er....No. <shudders>
44 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2014
I was very excited before reading this book as I live in Southampton, and was looking forward to the lesbian relationship in the main characters.
I was turned off the book in the first few chapters, as there is an abundance of mistakes that could have been easily edited by a decent editor, and quick clumsy treatment of some sensitive issues in the character back stories.
I had pretty much written it off until the tragedy in the first half of the book, when I realised how invested I'd become in the characters. I was angry and out for justice, which was when I realised I just had to keep reading!
I still had some issues with it (Sarah's grief seemed initially melodramatic rather than heartbreaking, and seemed to become non existent at intervals throughout the book - sometimes I felt that I was grieving her loss more than she was) but the pace quickly picked up and I was soon utterly gripped. If you told me at the beginning that I would read the entire thing in one sitting I wouldn't have believed you!
In conclusion, this book contained an excellent plot and great characters. If I could get my hands on a copy that had been thoroughly looked over by a better editor, I would declare it one of my favourites. Even so, the story affected me so strongly that I have been compelled to write my first ever review - so good work!
on 27 February 2014
First things first it was nice to read a kindle book from the budget end of the spectrum that doesn't contain a plethora of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. There were one or two, but these were easily overlooked. Anyway, on to the story. The story itself was a well handled take on an often used theme, and for me it worked. I read the book over the course of two days, and didn't want to put it down. So why only four stars? For me the lead character of Detective Inspector Vincent, pronounced Vin-Sent, was a little on the under developed side. I don't feel like I knew anything about the man himself, and this applied to the Snatcher too. I'm not going to spoil the story here and also will limit my details accordingly. The snatcher was an unknown quantity right to the end, it would have been nice to have known a little more of his back story, thoughts, and thought processes.
To summarise I will say that the story was good, it was well written and the flow and pace of the story was well handled by the author. A little bit more character development for some of the characters, and more plausible reactions from some others would have rounded the book off and earned it the extra star. Still a good read though and as a freebie it was excellent value for money!!! Definitely one of the better books you're going to read for free.
I have to say that Snatched turned out to be nothing like I expected it to be. I thought I was in for your typical crime story but what I got was way much more.

Sarah I really liked. I think the fact that a girl going missing, not just from the school she teaches at, but from her very own class, makes the girls disappearance that much more personal. She is determined to give her two pennies worth to the police on who she thinks is behind it and I did feel quite sorry for the detective in charge of the case as you could tell he has enough on his plate with out some do gooder trying to solve it for him.

This is another one of those stories that is hard to say to much about in fear of giving to much away for anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of reading it yet. It certainly didn't go down the route I thought it would and it kept me on my toes throughout.

Snatched is a highly enjoyable stand alone novel that kept me guessing all the way through. There are a few red herrings in there which made the twists even more surprising and kept me gripped all the way through. Great read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 November 2015
Well having recently enjoyed a few other Audio books, I was thrilled when Stephen allowed me copy of this to review.

I listened to this over one night shift at work. working nights can be long, and quiet, so this really kept me going.

And it wasn't just he audio aspect of this book I enjoyed, the story line was really quite good.
We start off this story with 7 year old Natalie, not being picked up from school in time, and then goes missing. This has got to be every parents worst nightmare.
One of the last people to see her, was her teacher Sarah Jenson. This teacher really got involved with the missing girl case, occasionally blaming anyone she could think of that might have been any where near or have reason to take Natalie, one of her favourite pupils. It certainly seemed at times that Sarah seemed to do a lot more than the police, the case is headed by Detective Inspector Vincent, pronounced Vin-Sent (which did annoy me to start with.. lol) But I think between himself and Sarah they rounded off the story pretty well.
I'm always worried about giving to much away when doing a review, I think the book description gives enough of an idea what is going on without me giving any more away.
But put the subject of this book to one side, it was a very interesting Listen/read.
on 24 February 2014
Unfortunately I am not allowed to award no stars, which is what this book deserves. It is simply dreadful. I downloaded this book on the basis of the five star reviews - how I wish I'd read the one star review first. I can't believe we're talking about the same book.

The plot is very thin, the characters are shallow, the police are portrayed as stupidly incompetent and even the villain is totally bland (apart from his murderous tendencies, of course). It appears to have been written by a semi-literate teenager with a poor command of English grammar and punctuation. He uses "was sat" and "was stood" (instead of "was sitting" and "was standing") on almost every page, and has no idea how and why a comma should be used. In one sentence, I counted five commas where only one was required.

There is far too much irrelevant detail in the book, and nowhere near enough relevant detail: for example he uses a whole page to describe someone taking a taxi to a station, yet the distress of the parents is glossed over in a few words. I would expect a story with this subject matter to be harrowing and hard-hitting, and to be repulsed and horrified by it - after all, that's why we read crime fiction. The plot was very predictable, I knew who the perpetrator was almost immediately, and the entire story could have been written in about ten chapters instead of 48.

There are two good things about this book:
1 - it was free
2 - I need never read another book by Stephen Ledger.

In short, if you enjoy a well-constructed, exciting, well-written story don't choose this.
on 5 May 2016
Have you ever had that moment of panic when your child wanders from your side? Intensify a hundred times over. The story weaves from there and is well done. Author has managed to draw you in, makes you feel the anguish. A really good read. Well written
on 1 May 2016
I read this book in 2 days. As I live in Hythe, Southampton I know all the places mentioned in the book. This story was very well written and I look forward to reading more of the books by Stephen Edger
on 20 October 2012
From the first to the last page, I just loved this book. Although the subject of the book was quite controversial i.e. the kidnapping of a young school child, the characters were fantastic and you were living the plot with them - I just didn't want to put it down. It certainly kept you guessing to the end. A nice weave of sad and happy moments, made the book delightful.

This is a well researched and well written book, and I would recommend that anyone who hasn't read any of Stephen Edger's books, start now! Well done Stephen.