Customer reviews

Smolder (Dragon Souls Book 1)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.56

on 10 March 2014
Found this as a freebie on Amazon which after reading I was really surprised at as the story was amazing and completely addictive, it did have some editing errors but it's a great start to a new series.

Marina has had to deal with the death of an amazing mother so after discovering some property she'd bought she takes her best friend Cat to see what it's like. Whilst on a hike she sees the skies turn to fire and a beast from fantasy emerge from them. She knows after seeing him her lives changed forever but what she doesn't first know is the beast is also a man.

Koen is destined to lead his people but first he must find his Empress. None has been suitable for him and he's coming to resent his Kingdom and their ways. Whilst evading the latest females pursuit he crash lands in front of a woman who will change his life forever.

I loved this story. The background story, characters and world it's set in are fabulous if not reminicent of the Asian culture.
Really gelled with Marina's character as she's completely true to herself and just seems normal. She isn't overtly girly or trying to play the tough female so she sat in a happy medium.
The males like Nikolai, Daniil and Koen are all great and equally play their part in Marina's life. Koen should have been closer to her but the rules of his world say he must distance himself until they can officially Marry.

I orderd the sequel as soon as I finished it
on 25 April 2014
one thing i did NOT like and appreciate and thats the retarded spelling mistakes - still worth the 5*s .
many have criticized that the main female character did not show ANY emotion when the main male character was falling out of the sky.
she is not fazed by the fact that the guy is a dragon lord, that is due to the girls dead mother - teaching her child about myths and legends being real - just not in our dimension, and never rule out other possibilities.
the girl herself was going thru a traumatic life event. but through out the book 2 books ( cant wait for the 3rd) and find herself in love with the dragon lord and have to fight for him thru trials...she meets up with her father. it cuts off at the most unwanted timing but that is where book 2 comes into play.....
on 29 March 2014
Loved the book from start to finish.

Marina meets Koen when he falls out of the sky in his dragon form instead of running away she tries to help him. While she adores his dragon she isn't so keen on his human form when he first shifts, no surprise there she is a very small feisty female and he is a tall powerful good looking male but she doesn’t put up with his arrogance and stands her ground. There is an instant sexual magnetism and a love hate relationship and when he returns to his own realm she persuades his brothers to fly her there on their dragon forms and follows him .

The author described the dragon world enough so that you can visualise it but doesn’t over do it so you get bored reading long descriptions. The author used Daniil explaining rules and politics to Marina to illuminate them to the reader.

Marina isn't intimidated by all that she will have to go through to achieve her goal which is to have Koen. The end was a bit abrupt and my reaction was to download the second book to find out what happened.
on 26 February 2014
I struggled a bit with this. you know how, sometimes, you read the reviews and they are all ranting and raving about how good it is, and then you read it?? and you wonder, is it the same book?? that's this book.

its not BAD, by any means, it just didn't much do it for me. the beginning was good, but once Marina hit the Dragon world, (I cant find it to spell it right!) it all got a bit political and went off at an angle.

that said, I would like to see how this story pans out, so ive added the second book to my list.
on 16 March 2014
I took this book as a freebie via BookBud' really got it as the night read ..the one were you read a few chapters then leave it to sleep BUT I couldn't leave it. I got engrossed with the characters and the story. I agree needed a little stretch of the imagination re her accepting personality but that aside found it engrossing. Loved the mishmash of asian cultures and legend but it worked. I found myself really needing to know how this developed....so I stayed up till dawn reading to be left slightly disappointed..could have ended better but I suppose guarantees I buy the next one. Not 5* as disappointed with the editing..Capitals in mid paragraphs...come on!! After saying that I have ordered the second one as the book definetely resonated with me.
on 26 July 2014
I like reading shape shifter/vampire fantasy stories, but this is the first dragon shifter book I've read.
I was totally taken by this book, it drew you in from page one and I couldn't put it down, so much so I brought the second book before I was half way through the first, and I don't often do that with sequels.
You are drawn to the characters of Marina, Koen and Daniil throughout the story.
There were some editing errors on the kindle version but other than that, this book is great, well done Penelope.
on 20 March 2014
Well, the storyline is good. What I didn't like was how scenes jump from one to the other. I went back many instances thinking I had missed something but I did not. The hero and heroine appeared childish at times with their petty quarrelling . That I did not like. Marina acted spoilt a lot especially during training. That was annoying. Marina was trained in every form of self defense, yet she was weak and had panic attack. I couldn't buy that. Overall, I liked the storyline and may buy the next one to see the conclusion.
on 5 April 2015
So it took me a while to get into this as marina annoyed me with her whining "he's not acknowledging me" crap and then the advances of another Dragon Lord who is in love with another but wants her, and marina almost gets involve with evisceration Lord even though she risking her life for another...you get the gist....annoying! It did get good after you cut out the romantic stuff....
on 24 February 2014
I really liked the names of the cafe racers and the spur and fire between koen and Marina was funny especially as she tolerated his dragon better than the man. She develops in to herself and matures with dignity and it is hard to imagine that she chose to go with the hardships to earn her place as queen. Interesting plots and vivid detailing of the dragon worlds making it interesting to read.
on 27 March 2014
I think Penelope has read PC Cast's novels, as this is very similar. It's not as good as PC Cast but if you have ever read any PC Cast books (and these are highly recommended) you will love this. I'm on the second book and wish she had written more. I love it. But i'm afraid to say PC Cast still has my top vote.