Have one to sell?
Smith & Keenan's English Law Paperback – 3 Jun 2004
See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
This shopping feature will continue to load items. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Page 1 of 1 Start overPage 1 of 1
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
'Here is a famous textbook'
'...this is simply a good book. It can be relied on for accurate information. It is very accessible.'
'Dip into the book at any point and you will be impressed; this is a book you can trust.'
'...if I was stranded on a desert island and allowed one legal text, it would have to be this favourite volume.'
Stephen Roberts, The Law Teacher, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2005
From the Back Cover
Smith & Keenan’s
English Law 14th Edition
Smith and Keenan's English Law is the classic introductory law textbook for students taking any course where an appreciation of English law is required. Its unique features are its comprehensiveness and the combined textbook/casebook format, which allows students to read the facts and decisions of over 500 cases in some depth. Smith and Keenan's English Law has a considerable reputation for reliability and accuracy, established over 40 years. It covers the main principles of the English legal system, including civil and criminal procedure, and contract, tort, employment, property and criminal law.
This edition has been substantially revised, with major parts of the book rewritten to cover important new decisions and new legislation, which have been recorded in most of the areas of law covered by the book.
- Major changes to the chapters on the Courts, resulting from the provisions of the Courts Act 2003, which will implement, in the main, the Auld recommendations on the Magistrates’ courts.
- Key case law developments in human rights, for example, in the area of privacy.
- The chapter on Criminal Procedure now takes full account of the substantial changes brought about by the Criminal Justice Act 2003.
- Major revision of the competition section of the chapter on illegality and public policy in light of the Enterprise Act 2002, which impacts significantly on competition law.
- New cases and legislative developments in the area of employment law, including the Employment Act 2002 and, in particular, its “family friendly” sections, with provisions relating to maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave and flexible working.
- An update of case law in the area of tort, mainly relating to professional negligence and website defamation.
- In the areas of property, major revisions as a direct result of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, and the Land Registration Act 2002.
There is a companion website for the book at www.booksites.net/keenan, which includes an essential online update service, regularly giving the major developments in the law. The book also features a Lecturer’s Guide, which contains advice on teaching with the book, and additional resources.
Denis Keenan is a Barrister, an experienced teacher and former Head of Department of Business Studies and Law. In addition to being author of a range of market-leading textbooks, he is also legal correspondent for Accountancy magazine and Editor of Butterworths Accountants' Legal Service.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
12 October 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I bought this book to help me complete my first law essay. It's excellent- packed with everything I needed help and advice with. An interesting section of various law cases and materials came in useful.
28 October 2014
This is a real literature of English Law. once you started reading it, you'll have sleepless night until you go through every page.