Smiffy's Honk Clown Horn
Package Quantity: 1|Style: Original Packaging|Change
Price:£4.71+ Free shipping

on 24 July 2014
It's not often I actually bother to write a product review, but wow.

This product does exactly what it claims. It certainly does let other clowns know you're in the area and really is an important piece of equipment to any established clown. I would go further, even if you're a new clown or just slightly clown curious it allows you to experiment for very little cost.

As others have said, it is quite cheaply made, but at less than £2.50 it represents excellent value for money. My own experience so far has been on the whole very positive, it raises a smile even from non clowns. (But personally I think there is a bit of clown in all of us). I'm using the horn in a very specialised role as a "clown approaching warning" on my bike, clown bike of course (29er mountain bike). So far I have ridden over some quite technical & rocky terrain and the horn has stood up to the abuse. There has been one instance of bulb detachment, easily remedied by putting it back on. A small amount of silicone sealant (or the cheap "bathroom sealant" stuff) around the bulb/horn interface will undoubtedly improve the robustness and is recommended prior to first use.

WARNING. My cats hate the horn. I think cats have a sixth sense and just know there is a clown around and have no need for an additional audio warning; it just annoys them. Anecdotally I also think this could apply to wives. Although from only a limited sample of one, my darling wife hates the horn, but I wouldn't be surprised if this applies to other wives. Again like cats, I think my wife's clown radar is perfectly adequate without the additional audio annoyance. Although as a previous reviewer stated; a pratfall of clowns had fun with the horn on a hen party in Tenerife. So conflicting evidence, I could hypothesise ad infinitum but for now, to keep the review succinct it is probably best simply to state that further study is required in this area.

CAUTION. This has not been tested in the presence of horses and this is a very likely scenario when clowning around on a mountain bike out on the trails. Given the response of cats, extreme caution should be exercised in the presence of horses. Without further controlled trials it is recommended that the standard "whistling the Muppet Show theme tune" continues to be used when approaching horses.

SUMMARY
* This horn lives up to it's claims.
* Caution is required around animals, my wife and possibly others.
* Recommended.
22 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2016
i am disabled and fell in my garden and had to lie for quarter of an hour before getting help now I can use this so my neighbours know if something is wrong
on 10 May 2012
I facilitate business workshop and needed some bells and horns for an event in a room full of adults. It's a long story but it's tied in with motivating people and generating ideas. Every time someone had an idea, they parped the horn or rang a bell. These horns were by far the loudest and added a great fun atmosphere- a great sound effect. They are seriously loud though so be prepared for neighbours to complain about the noise.

Some comments have been made about the quality and so I was a bit wary, however they are solid quality and survived 'a hard day at the office' - don't be put off! Keep an eye on the price as it does change from day to day. Highly recommended.
on 13 April 2017
Quick delivery,nicely packed. It will do but was expecting more of a base tone rather than high pitch. Other than that, fine.
on 11 September 2015
bought for my teenage son at halloween, he is still annoying everyone with it so i am assuming it was a good buy as far as he was concerned!
on 1 July 2016
Spot on product, well made and if it does stop working you can separate all the parts and fix with ease, they are strong and we'll built but with kids throwing it about you need know!
on 20 January 2018
Love this very loud scare cats away from birds
on 24 September 2017
Best clown horn I've ever owned. It has a tone that's all its own!
on 26 November 2014
Excellent value for a good product (metal by the way, I was expecting plastic) Nice double tone honk too.
(2 years later) We use these horns for water sports and out of 4 original horns 3 are still working.
on 7 August 2017