Size: Gray|Colour: Gray|Change
Price:£16.90+ Free shipping

Irritatingly, the Amazon webpage does not include any size guide. What sizes of feet does `X-Large' fit? According to specialistsocks, `X Large' covers UK size range 11-13.5. I'd say this was a little optimistic - the X-Large socks fit my 10.5 (broad) feet snugly, but they'd be tight as a drum on a size 13 foot. Presumably, a similar story applies to small, medium and large.
The cushioning under the soles of these Medium Crew socks is fine for moderate walkers (like myself), but I suspect determined backpackers might find it a tad lightweight, and prefer the Smartwool Heavy Crew PhD. The socks do need to be put on `straight', so that all the cushioning sits under the sole of your foot.
The socks are sturdy, well made and reasonably comfortable, although I can't help but get the feeling that the good folk at Smartwool might be just a little bit disapproving of anything too soft and luxurious. The wool blend has a slightly coarse 'grainy' feel to it, although that may well soften with use.
I hate to be the only customer not to give these a 5-star rating. But, 5-star implies perfection and, although these are well-made, I have other socks that are more comfortable, which did not cost a bomb, and which have lasted well. I'm going to be brave and deduct a star.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
So you're looking for a pair of socks for a multi purpose?
You want them to be cool in the heat of the summer, keep your feet cool, comfortable, dry and wick away sweat?
You want them to have seams you cannot feel with your toes, and you want them to fit snug, yet to be so comfortable.
You want them to cushion your soles, providing it where required - at your heals and the balls of your feet - so walking just in your socks you can actually feel the springiness.
You want your socks to stay fresh for a long time - out on a hike you want them to be fresh even after 3 days of wear.
Or in the City, for work or play you want them to be fresh, comfortable too - with NO SMELLS.
Other socks can be itchy, or too heavy - these are light fluffy like down, smooth as silk.

In the cold winter you want them to keep your feet warm, dry, and soft - without any clamminess. You want them to insulate?
And you want them to protect your feet from blisters on a hike or trek?

These tick all boxes - they seriously do.

Soi versatile, you can wear them any season, for any activity or just to wear as slippers in-doors.
I have worn and tried many socks - and I always come back to Smartwool.
I have their light weight, medium and extra heavy mountaineering socks.

the extra heavy weight are good, but too tight and heavy.

The light weight are also excellent, but not very hard wearing.

These on the other hand tick ALL boxes. They are almost as warm as the mountaineering socks with almost as much cushioning - but they make up for the 'almost' because they're lighter and fresher and wick away more moisture.
They're almost as cool as the summer weight - but make up for it by being more durable, comfortable and softer.

For extra warmth, wear two pairs!

they're brilliant! Best socks, and for my day to day use, for my treks (Karakoram, Hindu Kush, Himalaya amongst places in Britain) they'll be the ONLY socks I will buy from now on. Holy Grail of Socks.

I am a size 8 (UK) and Medium fit perfect.

As regards longevity, it all deoends on how often you wear and wash them and where you wear them.
Rest assured they'll last you a season.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2014
I’ve been wearing Smartwool socks for years, and purchase again as old ones finally wear out. My latest order was of two pairs of Trekking socks and two pairs of Hike socks. I’m sad to say that whilst quality has varied from order to order over the years, these latest ones (both Trekking and Hike) are really poor. Despite re-ordering the same size as previously, these feel very loose (no, my feet have not shrunk) and slide around underfoot – not something that I want inside my boots, nor even when wandering around indoors without boots on. The padding is also much thinner than previously, to the extent that they barely offer anything beyond a cheap pair of thin socks from M&S. As a result, I won’t be buying Smartwool socks online again – I will go to a shop and check them before contemplating any future purchases, and if the ones in the shop are like these, I will be buying a different make in future.

Very disappointing after years of being mostly impressed by Smartwool.
I was pleased to receive a pair of these socks as a gift. They are warm and comfortable and wash well.

Disappointingly, though, they are not hard-wearing. I walk seriously - more than 2000 miles a year, mostly on lanes and footpaths, but sometimes on moorland and mountain - and after less than 100 miles these socks were wearing thin at the toe. Obviously, that is related in some way to my toes and my boots as well as to these socks, but there is nothing out of the ordinary about either my toes or my boots. The toe is where virtually all my socks fail first, but rarely as fast as these.

Rather than let such a nice and almost new pair of socks wear into holes so soon, I have stopped wearing them with hiking boots and am now using them for general winter wear around the house and out to the shops, etc. For that they are very satisfactory.
on 9 April 2011
I'm not an expert when it comes to hiking gear but I have gone on a fair few hikes around the brecons as well as having done the 3 peaks challenge in these (during mild British weather). They appear to be just that bit better for comfort and temperature management than the random hiking socks I have picked up off the shelves of local hiking stores in the past. They are good enough for me to actively seek out and use these in the future and relegate my other hiking socks to short walks.

Oh and x-large fits my size 12's fine with very little movement during hikes.
on 27 October 2012
Very comfortable and warm - however, I am disappointed with the longevity. I would have expected an expensive and seemingly hard wearing sock to last much longer - there are thin areas in both heels that require repairing - and this after just one winter. By contrast the Bridgedale purchased as the same time show no signs of wear (these do incidentally, have a three year warranty)
So a mixed bag.
Very nice to wear, but mine have worn out rapidly Having said that; they are definitely worth repairing.
on 24 January 2012
I got myself a pair of smart wool socks because I couldn't stand the cold outside and it seemed that my normal socks were letting me freeze, no matter how many layers I'd put on. Also, it's not really that comfortable to wear two pairs of socks, I think you all know that!:)

The smartwool socks are designed to keep you warm and their design and material guarantee that. It's pretty miraculous how good they are and how fast you can feel your body warmth stabilizing after you have your feet warmed up by smart wool.

I also plan on using them for hiking next summer, because they are supposed to keep you feet cool when it's too warm outside, and so far I haven't had them make my feet sweat.

A great investment for this winter and not only!
I find it amusing how the price changes according to the size and colours...I got myself a large grey model and it was cheaper than the small size! Odd things are afoot! (pun intended)
on 6 June 2016
I am a very experienced hill-walker and walk frequently in the Cairngorms. In winter I wear a thicker version of this sock which I find excellent and I have found these equally good. They have a very comfortable fit around the toes with no knots or seams that cause rubbing - important when you are out for several days with a heavy pack on your back. I hasten to add that I obviously cannot say that these socks will be as comfortable on your feet as on mine: feet differ! I have relatively large feet for my height and they still seem to function well after the best part of 30 years in the infantry. In case it is any use I wear Scarpa boots.
on 10 February 2013
These are great socks, warm, hard wearing and very comfortable. I have brought 3 pairs and would but more. They are quite expensive but do last longer than normal socks.
on 12 March 2013
These fit well and seem to have lasted me longer than equivalents. They have been on the Inca trek with me and taken a real pounding, one run through the wash and they're back for another round. Recommended.

EDIT: after a year of frequent wear they have developed loads of holes in them.