Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 June 2012
This book is a must have for anyone looking to start their first smallholding. I bought this, eventhough we already have a smallholding and I just wish it had been written when we started a few years ago. it is so helpful, gives easy practical advise in a way that is easy to understand. It gives practical advise which is easy to follow (such as how to put up stock fencing which is a must!). I recommend this to anyone who is either thinking of getting a smallholding, or already has one and wanjt to improve it.
on 10 August 2013
This is a great book! It gives all the basic information you will need, if considering a more self sufficient lifestyle. It looks into buying a property to managing the land, to looking after livestock. It gives the basics, with pointers as to where to get more detailed information and experience. I was apprehensive about the prospect of setting up a smallholding, but now I know it is entirely possible.
on 9 August 2012
Ideal Beginners book, lot there for the more advanced also. Sections on all aspects of the smallholding, and a very nice and easy manuel to read. A very Good reference guide and very good tips.
I would recommend this book to anybody with a smallholding or thinking of starting up.

Ruth Jones
on 19 June 2016
An excellent manual that covers most ares you can think of.
The book starts with the real basics of how to search for what you want, reminding the reader to think about practical stuff like local schools.
The book focuses on livestock through the whole life cycle, from purchase to showing to slaughter.
If you are considering a small holding I would highly recommend this book.
on 12 October 2014
This is so basic, it doesn't deserve the title 'manual'. I read it in an hour or two and can't imagine ever referring to it again. Massively disappointed. Even worse, it simply points you to the author's other work where info is lacking. It pales in comparison to a true manual like 'The Earth Care Manual' which I wish I had consulted first.
on 23 August 2013
I am just starting out with a smallholding and found this book extremely useful and very informative. It is easy to understand and covers the issues that you really do need to know about. Ideal for what I was after and I'm glad my friend recommended it to me.
on 1 July 2015
This book is great if like us you are just about to start out on a smallholding. Answers a lot of questions for us & raises ones we hadn't yet thought of. Nicely chaptered. Clear to understand as you would expect from Haynes. Love it - keep re-reading to make sure I haven't missed anything
on 18 February 2013
I both enjoyed and was disappointed by this book.

On the positive side it is well laid out with quality photographs and is an easy read. It generally covers everything from finding a small holding to buying, crops, livestock, etc. It is good to see that the author acknowledges that small holdings are typically a lifestyle choice but are rarely self-sufficient in themselves, so an outside incomes is almost always necessary.

On the negative side - since the title is "The Complete Step-by-step Guide and since it is using the Haynes brand you would expect detailed step by step 'how to' guides. With the exception of stock fencing, this wasn't the case. I felt that all of the content was relatively light weight with little in-depth detail. I acknowledge that no single book can cover the full A-Z of smallholding in detail, but it would have been useful if the author included more sources of additional information, such as recommended books, website, clubs, etc. for each of the chapters. So if for example, a reader wanted to know more about Goats, there would be a ready source of informaton, rather than spending hours wasted serching forums on the Internet.

The author does make a valid point that I agree with, that the best sources of information are often your neighbours, as these may well have experience or local contacts in the community that can help you get started on a smallholding. My issue with this, is that the book is clearly targeted at new or potential smallholders which probably don't have 'country neigbours' since they haven't moved in yet. Therefore links or references to other research material would have been very useful.

I read this book cover to cover in an evening, hence my views on its lack of detail. I would probably loan this to someone interested in smallholding, but probably wouldn't recommend they buy it as a definitive information source.
on 23 March 2013
it may surprise you but small holdings are normal in the rest of the world and they have machinery to match rather than the outsize machinery which large farms employ. Haynes has put together a lot of aspects you have to consider in a nicely illustrated book and no it is not complex - that isfor another book
on 14 December 2012
This is a fantastic book. It's informative and a must have if you are looking at smallholdings. Covers everything you would want. Great photos and presentation. Even looks at curing your own meats and selling your produce.
It is a book I have read cover to cover, and still pick it up frequently as a reference.