on 27 May 2016
It's an exact copy of EYFS tables which disturbs me somewhat. Being an SLT I would assume that government guidelines and EYFS is taken into consideration but no deviation at all saddens me. I have come to the conclusion that child development in the UK must be different to the rest of the world or is heavily edited by whatever flavour of education goals is favoured by the powers to be at the moment. I have studied child development incl. speech and language in another European country and I am appalled that normal child development is not even taken into consideration in this book. Please get yourself non government and NHS sponsored books! Pestalozzi, Steiner etc...would be a start!
on 26 June 2013
Small talk is an easy to read guide about children's speech and language development from birth up to the age of five. As an owner of a nursery we have recommended this book to our parents and families. Feedback was unanimous; Small Talk's simple and fun activities really encourage and promote high levels of engagement with your little ones and focus on positively developing a child's ability to communicate successfully.
This book is about enjoying your child's development as much as supporting it. I speak first hand when I say it has greatly helped close friends to understand and support their child's language and development needs.
on 30 July 2013
I love this book - my boy is 14 months and really developing a great little personality. I saw the authors interviewed on Breakfast news and was fascinated by the theory behind how little ones communicate and learn to talk.....so I pre-ordered the book. I would certainly recommend this to anyone who is interested in learning when, why and how babies learn to talk- even from birth it explains the development processes in an easy to understand way. It has summary pages, songs to sing, games to play and really makes you think about how your little one is communicating with you. I have definitely picked things up that he is trying to tell me that I might otherwise have missed. It is also very reassuring if you are worried at all about your little one not talking or making progress like his friends, or meeting the so called milestones. What I really like is it gives you activities you can incorporate into playtime with your little one and take it from me, they work! I love playing the games and doing some of the suggestions in the book, seeing how he enjoys it it makes you feel you are making the most of the quality time you have together, even if its only 10mins.
on 21 April 2015
I couldn't recommend this book more!

The author has made this book accessible to all readers, be you a parent, teacher or teaching assistant (in my case). In the past year I have been given the responsibility of leading a speech and language program and was very keen on building my knowledge regarding the subject.

It did just that. It is the perfect book if you want an introductory style text. It covers from birth to the age of 5-6 which is generally when speech and language develops. It is so easy to read and follow that I found I couldn't put that down and for a text book that is astonishing.

What I love about this book is that it is easy to read, separates topics well and offers you lots of games to play with your children to help boost their language.

In this day and age it is not uncommon to see SLCN in children and if parents just read a page or two every so often it would greatly benefit their child.

I recommend every school to have at least one copy of this book!
on 24 September 2014
This as an amazing book with lots of good ideas and explanations. As a grandmother of two grandsons on the spectrum, as well as having worked over the last 20yrs with children with varying stages of autism I found it really informative with some good ideas.if the child is a visual learner you will Also find lots of flash card for them to use and they are very good from amazon.
on 25 October 2013
This book is full of great advice, songs, games and information about communication development in -0 to 5s. It impressed me with so many useful ideas and clear explanations how to best prepare children for their early years schooling as well as everything else you would expect to find in a book about speech development. There are so many simple things that we can do (and avoid doing!) to encourage and develop communication even when we are so short of time. I would really recommend reading the book cover to cover however short of time you are as the benefits are so great.
on 17 July 2013
Nicola is a brilliant speech therapist who has done fantastic work with my six-year-old son, who has autism. She really is very gifted - she has a unique ability to form a rapport with children and is full of enthusiasm and ideas. Over the course of a year working with Nicola, my son's gone from having very little expressive language to taking pleasure in describing the world around him. So I knew her book would be full of really useful advice, and sure enough, it is!
I think Nicola and Tracey, her co-writer, have done a great job of breaking this subject down, giving information about different stages of development and handy tips for things you can do to help your child. It's a good read and very accessible, and deserves to become a classic. Every new parent should have a copy! I think parents will find it both reassuring and empowering, and I can't recommend it highly enough to anybody who is concerned about their child's speech, or just wants to help them get the best possible start.
on 27 December 2015
I bought this book as I was slightly concerned with my son's speech development. It is excellent to help me understand the ages at which children start to use various sounds and also which sounds can be challenging. After reading this, I stopped worrying and started applying some of the useful techniques to encourage talking. Highly recommend book with useful ideas and explanations.
on 30 July 2013
This is a great book, very interesting and full of ideas and tips to encourage your child's speech development. It's also very easy and enjoyable to read, would recommend to anyone with a little one.
on 30 July 2013
I am halfway through this book and have found it very informative and helpful. I had no massive concerns about my son's language development but it has reassured me that he is at the right sort of level and has helpful ways to develop baby's and toddler's speech. I shall use some of the baby tips when my second baby arrives. The book is written well with case studies which I always like as it brings the theory to life. I would suggest this is a good read for new mums and also professionals like childminders, etc. It has pointed out potential flaws in my communication and I aim to change some of the ways I deal with things due to this book.