- Paperback: 246 pages
- Publisher: Aqueduct Press (1 July 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1619761238
- ISBN-13: 978-1619761230
- Product Dimensions: 14.6 x 2.5 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 1 customer review
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,520,753 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Sleeping with Monsters: Readings and Reactions in Science Fiction and Fantasy Paperback – 1 Jul 2017
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Some of the reviews of sequels can be opaque if you are unfamiliar with earlier works but the passion shines through. The essays in the final section are the real gems. Subjects include the scarcity of narratives featuring older women, how queer womanhood is can be handled well or poorly (even when written by sympathetic authors), and the gendered nature of heroism in fantasy contra romance.
In particular a pair of essays digging into the claims that epic fantasy is “by and large, crushingly conservative” and that by comparison urban fantasy is “licentiously liberal” offer food for thought and benefit from being read after the reviews of some less well-known works. Your 'to-read' list will grow.
Whether or not you’ve come across the Sleeps with Monsters blog, this is very much worth your time.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com