on 6 April 2008
I bought this book after reading the other reviews. I am a fan of JR Ward and thought that there could'nt be another author out there with such flair for a story that is within a story. I was wrong and stand in awe of Nalini Singh. I now not only own this one but have hurriedly purchased the others in the series. My husband and dog are having to fend for themselves, because as soon as I finished one I picked up the next. Well done to all those other reviewers without whom this author would have been missed by me.
on 31 December 2006
Sascha Duncan is a member of a race known for their emotional detachment, cold precision and deadly sharp minds. Only Sascha isn't like other Psy. She feels powerful emotion and she grows worried she may soon not be able to repress the building surge. A business meeting with changeling Lucas Hunter, the alpha of the DarkRiver leopards, lures her even closer to the edge of certain discovery. As she is assigned as the Psy contact for the ensuing project Lucas's company takes on, she soon begins to fear grave repercussions from her people.

Lucas feels something different about Sascha--she's not like other Psy. It doesn't take long for the dominant male to begin asserting his blatant interest in her in traditionally pack ways. Could her mysterious differences be the key his and a rival pack's have been looking for? A serial killer has targeted changeling women, and the packs believe the killer to be Psy. As a Psy with connections amongst her race, Sascha will become the only saving grace in a race against time to stop two opposing groups on the brink of war. Her and Lucas's efforts will bring them to some shocking realizations as well as some heated and sensually stimulating encounters.

The first impression of this romance was that it combined an awesome feel of not only paranormal elements, but sci-fi as well. Lucas's pack dynamics will ring somewhat similar to other paranormal romances, while having their own unique qualities at the same time, most notably their love for one another and family dynamics. The chilling addition of the Psy brings to mind a more futuristic sense with their sparse and utilitarian lifestyles. There are some very interesting twists to the plot that makes good use of the pacing throughout the book, making for a very hard to put down read. Sascha is a heroine readers may sympathize with in her plight to become fully herself, while Lucas is so wonderfully sexy in his concern for her welfare. Look for the sequel, Visions of Heat (March 6, 2007) about Psy member Faith NightStar and changeling Vaugn D'Angelo.
on 4 February 2007
Slave to Sensation is an alternative history paranormal, set in the year 2079 on an Earth populated by three races: the Psy - emotionless and cold, the shapeshifting Changelings who rely on their animal instincts, and humans.

From the moment that Lucas Hunter (Changeling) and Sascha Duncan (Psy) meet there is a chemistry between them that fairly leaps off the page. This causes conflict as Lucas is a creature of instinct and sensation, whilst Sascha must maintain a facade of logic and efficiency at all costs.

Although it is the love story between Lucas and Sascha that is the driving force behind the narrative. The reason this book works so well is because you can immerse yourself in the world that Nalini Singh has created. The dynamics of both pack (Changeling) and Psy life are well-explained and the book is populated with interesting characters that give the story an added depth. And at the same time leave you wanting to know more about them. :)

One of the things I like is that it's made clear that both species are equally capable of brutality. Psy who don't conform to the acceptable standards of the Silence live with the constant threat of rehabilitation (mind-wiping) at the Center. Whilst the Changelings live under a territorial law that can erupt into violence. However, the reader does come down on the side of the Changeling way of life with its emphasis on family and pack.

There are one or two slips, but when the standard of storytelling is this high, they are easily forgiven. This is one of the best paranormals I've read and I would rank it with J.R.Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood as one of my favourite series. Visions of Heat (Book 2) is released in March 2007
on 11 November 2006
I enjoyed this book because, despite featuring werewolves and other shapeshifters, it was unlike any other shapeshifter book I have read. In `Slave To Sensation' Nalini Singh describes a world where there are three classes of people - the humans, the shapeshifters and the Psy. The Psy are those with psychic talents who, 100 years previously, made a pact to detach themselves from all emotions in order to become more perfect people. The Psy consider themselves above the humans and shapeshifters and keep themselves mostly separate from the others - it's like a sub-group of people like Mr Spock. Their culture is one of lack of emotion, no touch, no fear or pain and no crime.

Or is it? Sascha Duncan is a Cardinal Psy, theoretically one of the most powerful of the Psy group and visibly marked by her special eyes. Everyone can see that she is a Cardinal and yet she doesn't seem to have the requisite huge psychic power. She can feel that her life is coming apart, her barriers to emotion are crumbling and she knows that when her mother Nikita or anyone else on the Psy Council realise this they will give her, in effect, a lobotomy. She's desperately trying to hide her Psy problems from them for as long as possible.

Lucas Hunter is a shapeshifter Panther who finds himself in a business relationship with Sascha and her mother. He has an ulterior motive for the business link - he is trying to investigate a serial killer of shapeshifter women who is definitely one of the Psy; perhaps Sascha is his chance to learn more about the Psy and to find the killer through her.

However, pretty soon their close contact with each other starts to erode the barriers between them and their mutual suspicions. It seems that they must work together, and with the local werewolf clan, to try to find out who the killer is - but Sascha knows that it will cause her death and Lucas begins to think that's too big a sacrifice.

This book was a really good read - the gradual thawing of Sascha's Mr Spock personality was very touchingly written. Lucas is, of course, an Alpha male and fulfils all the required alpha male stereotypes in this genre of book but he also comes across as caring and intelligent. The hunt for the serial killer, although not an overwhelming part of the story (and the villain not particularly surprising), is well plotted. The descriptions of Sascha's travels in the Psy world are interesting and well thought through.

The final pages of the book are a preview to a new book, `Visions Of Heat' to be released in 2007 which evidently follows on from `Slave To Sensation' - and it's a book that I'll be buying.
There are three races in the world - humans, simplest and weakest; Changelings, strong half-human, half-animal; and Psy, cold, cerebral rulers of the world. Sascha Duncan is a rare Cardinal, a Psy whose mind-powers exceed all classifications. As the daughter of one of the ruling Council, her importance should have been beyond doubt. Except Sascha is flawed. Her Cardinal powers remain undeveloped and undetected, and she's starting to feel things. Which in a race that conditions all emotions out of themselves from early childhood, can only mean one thing - once her shields crack, and others realise, her mind and personality will be wiped out.

As the alpha of an important leopard Changeling pack, Lucas Hunter knows all about being in control. So when the brutal murder of a pack mate threatens his world, he's determined to find the culprit. But the killer is Psy, and the Council deny that any such violence could be caused by their perfect, unfeeling race. In his quest to root out the monster the Council is protecting, Lucas will stop at nothing to complete his hunt. Even if it means getting up close and personal with one of the enemy.

For those new to the PSY-CHANGELING world, (getting a long deserved UK release) it is one of the best paranormal romance series out there. Nalini Singh has created a detailed, complex world based around an alternate San Francisco, filled with powerful, sexy men and strong, sensual women. As Sascha proves when she struggles to cope in a world that rejects everything she is, while fighting her attraction to the passionate and protective Lucas. With the close-knit, affectionate Changelings versus the mysterious, cold and fascinating Psy, there is a lot to enjoy here, even beyond the compelling romance as the two groups move closer to all out war.

If you're tired of the over population of vampires, demons and slayers in the Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance genres, but you enjoy excellent storytelling with well-developed characters, give Nalini Singh a try. You won't be disappointed.
I'm a big fan of Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series so it was about time I finally got around to starting the Psy-Changeling books! I have to say I was impressed and I think this has the potential to become my favourite out of the two series. I loved the world that Nalini has created, you have two very different races who have pretty much the opposite outlooks and are struggling to live alongside each other. The Psy have incredible psychic abilities, from mind reading all the way through to telekinetic powers (although I'm sure there are even more types that we are yet to discover). As a race they have been trained not to feel any kind of emotions, they are supposed to be ruled purely by logic and anyone who shows the slightest hint of emotional behaviour will have their personality brutally wiped out at a rehabilitation centre. The Changelings on the other hand are ruled by their feelings, they work hard and play harder and nothing is more important to them than the bonds between pack and family - the Psy don't even develop close relationships with their parents or siblings.

Our main characters for this instalment are Psy Sasha and Changeling Lucas. Sasha has always known how different she is from the other Psy and learnt from a young age to keep her feelings closely hidden - even from her mother who would never understand her behaviour. As the daughter of an important Council member Sasha knows more than most just how dangerous it would be if anyone found out just how different she is and she knows that not even her mother would protect her if she is discovered. Lucas is the alpha of the DarkRiver Leopard pack and he is working to track down the Psy who has been brutally murdering Changeling women. The latest victim was a member of his pack and he will do whatever it takes to make them pay, even if that does mean working with Sasha and trying to use her to get the information he needs.

I absolutely adored this book, I loved the world building, I'm fascinated by the Psys (although I wouldn't want to be one!) and I always enjoy reading about different kinds of shapeshifters. Above all I loved the relationship between Sasha and Lucas, Nalini Singh takes the time to develop their relationship slowly and I enjoyed every minute of it. The way Lucas cares for his pack is heart warming but it was so good to see the way he began to care for Sasha and how determined he was to protect her and keep her safe from harm. Sasha had never been allowed to freely express herself so she finds it hard to even understand all the emotions that Lucas brings out in her, she instinctively knows how to love but she is so used to locking all her feelings away that she finds it hard to express herself. Lucas never pushes her beyond what she is prepared to give though, he understands how hard it is for her and he teaches her how to care for him and his packmates. One of my favourite things about the couple was the banter between them and when you have conversations like the one below it is very hard not to laugh out loud:

"I could turn your mind to mush if I wanted"
"But then who'd lick you to orgasm?"

Slave to Sensation was a fantastic start to the Psy-Changeling series and one that has left me very excited to find out more. We have been introduced to a great range of side characters so I'm happy that each book focuses on a different couple but I'm also interested to see how the ongoing storyline of the political relationship between the Psy and Changeling races will play out. If Nalini Singh wasn't already on my list of favourite authors this would have earned her a place there so if you haven't read any of her books before then you really should do as soon as possible!
on 1 September 2014
After reading the first book in the Guild Hunter Series by Nalini Singh, I was so taken by the originality of the book and her writing style, I decided to explore more of her work.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the Psy Changeling series but am so glad I decided to give it a go. I loved the idea of the Darkriver Leopards, the Snowdancers werewolves and intrigued with the Psy and their way of life.

The story of Lucas who was the Darkriver Alpha and Sacha a Psy Empath, who was supposed to be damaged is a journey well worth taking. There isn't anything about this book I didn't like. The way it was all put together made for compulsive reading and I would fully recommend. After reading the Guild Hunter and now this, I am definitely a fan of Nalini Sighn and I am sure I will be reading all her books. Sorry if I am not giving away too much as I don't like spoilers and reading this after just reading the synopsis was sheer joy and I hope you feel the same.
on 19 July 2016
A new author to me. It came up in the recommended for you section and I'm glad I took the chance. A very different world to get involved in and your heart went out to Sascha, struggling to hide her problem (not going to say more and spoil it for anyone!). I loved it. Loved the way Lucas was able to be open and how he took care of Sascha. Off now to buy the next one.
on 18 June 2008
...It was so predictable (hence three stars). I chose this book because of the reviews and thought it was worth a go. I'd read one of Ms Singh's short stories and thought this might be a little - well - 'more'.

I did like the book and fell in lust with the passionate 'Alpha Male Panther/Leopard/Man' Lucas Hunter from the outset (he's so hot!) and the chemistry between him and Sascha, the 'Spock-like' Psy was great, particularly as they were supposed to be polar opposites. I also liked some of the secondary 'pack' characters - especially Kit, Vaughn and Tamsyn.

I read it in a day and a bit because it's easy to read promised lots of heat. However, for me, it failed to deliver. Perhaps it's because I've been spoiled by J R Ward, Angela Knight and Sherrilyn Kenyon. The story centres around a series of murders - and I knew who it was the moment the character was introduced. The action and sex scenes could have been much more descriptive but they didn't quite come to the boil.

Ms Singh is a very good writer but could have done so much more with her storyline. She could easily be ranked alongside the likes of Knight and Kenyon if she just opened up a bit more.

This book makes for an okay read but, for me, it was a bit like making room for my favourite dessert in my favourite restaurant, only to find it's off the menu.
on 26 May 2015
This is the first book in this series and was actually the first book I read by Ms Singh. It's being re -released with a new cover and it made me realise I never actually wrote a review for this book and it was certainly no hardship to do a re -read. This book features an almost parallel and futuristic world in which mankind has truly developed and diversified. Ordinary humans seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order with those who have psychic powers ( Psy) and Changelings (animal shifters) firmly in charge. As this story begins the unemotional Psy are negotiating with the Changeling Alpha Lucas and when he meets the flawed but lovely Psy Sasha he knows from the moment he looks into her cardinal eyes that she is the woman of his dreams. Now Sasha is a powerful psychic and actually transports herself into his dreams and so begins a courtship like no other. Hot animalistic male meet cool, emotionally detached female and watch her melt!
I'm not going to gush and go into lots of details as it's a very original and complex world that the author has created. If you are a shifter fan then these Changelings will delight you and there's a scene with a pair of cubs that is pure magic. The ice cold analytical Psy are probably harder to like but this is only the first book and this world is expanded throughout the series giving a far more balanced view. Fear not though as ordinary humans do get more exposure as this series continues and that's what I didn't really like here the fact that we barely glimpse humans. A society who believe in unequivocal Silence with emotions non existent but as we see through Sasha's eyes suppression is not the way forward. There is a plot in this book with a serial killer at large but if I'm honest it's more about introducing the reader to this phenomenal world with it's mixture of passion and corruption. Make no mistake this is a romance but the idea of three separate races just allows the author to run wild. If you haven't yet read this book and are not afraid of a hot romance then I suggest you dive right in because it's a wonderful journey with tortured souls and truly despotic villains and always expect the unexpected!
I was gifted a copy in exchange for an honest review