• Slam
  • Customer reviews

on 14 September 2013
Having enjoyed 'A long Way Down' and 'Juliet Naked' I expected to enjoy this too. Sadly I was disappointed to the extent that I struggled to get half way through this book and then just read the last couple of pages to get a gist of what I may have missed. Not much it would seem.
I hated the time travel, was I missing something? Why not just write it as it happened rather than using this strange and seemingly unnecessary plot device?
Can't recommend this I am afraid.
on 9 September 2014
This is another good read. I just love the style of writing and wry humour.
on 3 March 2016
A gift. Well liked by receipient
on 1 February 2016
loved it
on 28 January 2013
well told and with a vital twist! Really enjoyed seeing the world through his eyes. Reccommended for young and old.
on 21 September 2017
IN GOOD CONDITION
on 10 May 2014
Fantastic character development as ever from Nick Hornby. Slam is a coming of age tale told in Nick Hornby's brilliantly dry style. Very entertaining.
on 21 July 2014
Must read for young, single fathers and all their family and friends. Funny and sad and hopeful. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone.
on 16 December 2015
You could at least warn buyers that this version (the first you're presented with if you search for "Nick Hornby Slam") is an ANNOTATED LEARNER'S VERSION for German students, with numbered lines and footnotes explaining "difficult" words.
on 17 July 2015
Much to the probable annoyance of nearby sun-lounger occupiers, I read this on holiday by the pool. Annoyance? Yes; the book had me laughing out loud with its wit.
This very funny and often moving story is told through the voice of boy growing from near 16 to 18 years old. He becomes embroiled in a trap by accident and suffers the social and emotional consequences of what might otherwise have been a fairly commonplace adventure.
There is real insight here, coupled with empathy, humour and social comment. Great characterisation brings the characters to life on the page and allows the reader to actually care what happens. The tone is perfect for the narrative voice and places the reader right inside the events and issues raised.
This story of family, relationship, love and trust deals well with the basic questions of life and the trials of a young man as he tries to grow up.
A novel I picked up from the hotel library in Thassos and one I thoroughly enjoyed. Happily recommended.