- Also check our best rated Biography reviews
Skillful Huntsman, The: Visual Development of a Grimm Tale at Art Center College of Design Paperback – 15 Apr 2014
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top customer reviews
The Skillful Huntsman is actually a story by the Brothers Grimm.
Based on the short story, the artists then came up with concept drawings for the characters, set, props and environment. As you can see in the video, there are lots of sketches on character designs. For every subject, there's comment from the artist on the thought process for the creation. And just beneath that comment is another one from the Scott Robertson, a teacher at the Art College of Design.
It's fun to see how the 3 artists interpret the stories and come up with their own unique concepts and designs.
Bear in mind that this book was published in 2005. These talented students have already gone on to work at major studios.
There are more pictures on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.
From people, costumes, vehicles, weapons, environments, interiors and structures which are presented in simple sketches (pencil, pen, on computer, marker) to fully realised digital pieces - all showing the development and thought process of an idea.
Excellent layout & read. And no there is not that much to read - each page has about one to two paragraphs on text rest in packed full of visuals.
Recommended if you're a design student.
This book goes through the entire development process and offers a wealth of great insights from both students and teacher along the way.
A word to the novices out there: this book doesn't cover application, but covers in depth the design process and theory of development.
absolute top tier stuff!
To be more precise there are plenty of sketches/references/ideas to get you thinking.
A must for anyone interested in concept art and character design, looking for tips and inspiration.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Graphic Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Graphic Arts > Illustration
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Painting & Drawing
- Books > Biography
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Cartooning
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Genre
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Dark Horse
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Fantagraphics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Hamlyn
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Image Comics
- Books > Comics & Graphic Novels > Publishers > Titan Books
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > Production & Technology > Direction & Production
- Books > Young Adult > Comics & Graphic Novels