Customer reviews

on 28 September 2002
I did not choose to buy this book, it's one of my set texts on a course for my degree. However, having said that, I have enjoyed the poetry much more than I thought I would.
The anthology includes poetry by women most of us would of heard of (Carol Ann Duffy, being one). But it also includes poetry by women you may not have heard of. Two poets whose work I particularly like are Julie O'Callaghan and Medbh McGuckian. All of the usual themes are included; love, death, marriage, loss etc. However, some poets have dealt with these themes in new and interesting ways; for example, "Not My Best Side" by U. A. Fanthorpe is a poem which includes the voice of a princess, a dragon and the heroic knight.
What I like about this anthology is that it has made me more interested in women's poetry. It is a good introduction to the poets included and their work. I will definitely keep this volume once I have completed my degree. For lovers of poetry, I think it is a must.