Size: Soldering Iron Starter Kit 7pcs|Change

on 2 September 2014
Im very happy. The first thing I need to mention is that the first one of these I ordered never turned up, but the seller was very helpful in resolving it, they refunded me fully (inc postage).

Pros:
- Cheap
- Strong
- Very well built
- All the various things work well

Cons:
- The image above is slightly deceptive, note that colours vary etc
- The solder is very low temp
- Arrives in one big jiffy bag in individual boxes

Overall:
- I was using the soldering iron for 4 hours straight and it worked very well all the way through, the solder took well and the helping hands did their job, and helped! I haven't tested the desoldering wire or solder sucker/pump, but I'm sure they're fine.
For £15 you cant go wrong, I use this for soldering wiring as well as soldering model railway track.
on 7 August 2014
I couldn't believe the sheer volume of this set. When I ordered it, I half expected it to be made of ham. However, I love it all! It all feels solid, works great and I've already fixed my guitar amp!
on 5 June 2014
cant go wrong with the price the soldering iron heated up kind of quickly and and the desoldering pump is quite powerfull the tweezers are not bad at all the helping hand are very helpfull indeed you dont get much solder and the solder paste is very little aswell but for £12 you really cant go wrong
on 13 June 2014
exactly what I needed for small soldering job. delivered as ordered .found the tools supplied a little flimsy but still good value for money.
on 22 September 2015
I have never done any soldering before and was looking to dabble in electronics so I searched for soldering irons. I found this item and thought that it looked like good value for the amount of stuff you get as individually the items would be more expensive. When i opened the box from Amazon and pulled out the big sealy bag full of my new kit I was genuinely impressed with the sheer volume of bits I got for 15 quid!
You don't get any instructions whatsoever, but that's OK as there are sites devoted to beginners electronics and plenty of instructional videos on YouTube.
I can see why it is Amazon's top seller in soldering equipment as it comes with everything I needed to get started with my new hobby.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2016
This is a really good set to get you going, the only technical issue I would have is that the soldering iron only comes with a conical tip, it's one of those plug stright in kind, so don't expect miricles, but it works and got my job done.

The solder wick is decent quality, and worked well.

The hand grips are really nice.

The tweezers are hit and miss, the red rubberised handle ones in the pack are fine, the others are a little thin and flexible when you pinch harder than just holding an item still (i.e. you apply pressure to a layer of board whilst soldering the tips bend, but you have the hands then to help).

The solder itself was very nice, it's a lead free, but it has a triple core of flux. The dispenser it comes ravelled in is also good for touching just the right amount to a joint, and it flowed well through-through-hole mounted points and onto surface mounter components.

The sponge with the soldering iron is a little poor, but for the price one really can't knock this item at all. And it arrived well packaged.
review image
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2016
Its not a professional kit - but will do the job
Great starter kit for anyone who need to solder, learning about electronics but did not spend too much.
A lot of kit for the price but all useful if you in the electronics / computer repair field
For me I am not going to use this regular so did not want anything too expensive – to do basic soldering on electrical items.
I will be using the magnifying helping hands stand for model making.
Its well made for its price –
Only down side – some of the tweezers were not gripping / holding well
The soldering iron – although it does not come with replacement tips/head – its not fixed so it can still be replaced – which I did not expect – so it’s a bonus.
A point to note – the solder is Lead free – so not sure how strong it will hold
on 22 August 2016
cheap and chearful, does the job

I was struggling a little bit with my gas soldering iron so I got this and managed to complete my task
I was not expecting much given the price, that said some OK pliers, a third hand, not one but two desoldering tools and a reasonable stand (sponge and tray is laughable and the iron gets caught but it works)

What more could you ask for

Point to note. As with all these irons the solder is lead free. While it's handy to include it's you are better off getting some leaded solder seperately as it's much easier to work with and much less likely to produce a duff joint
on 3 July 2015
A lot for your money here. Used to repair a solar charger, the wire came loose. This did the job, and the solar charger works fine again. Also, at least now I know I have the kit to do any other future repairs. Recommended.
on 12 January 2016
Doesn't have replacement tips, and the one that's on it is far too pointed so it transfers heat very slowly and is only useful for really delicate traces, Everything else in the kit was ok, the stand is handy and the helping hands are surprisingly good, even though it is VERY small

Edit a few months down the line - the iron in this really is pretty rubbish, I've since replaced it with an Antex model and don't regret it for a second, the thermal conductivity is much better so heating joints is much easier. The stand, solder sucker and helping hands continue to be very helpful though