Sirens (Aidan Waits)
Format: Paperback|Change

I would probably not have bought this book had it not been chosen by my Book Group. I was pretty appalled by the world Knox drew his readers into but found his writing mesmeric and following the twists and turns of this story fascinating, if somewhat hard to take in.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 August 2017
Sirens is an incredibly accomplished debut novel, a fast paced read that I had trouble putting down.
Knox's cast of damaged characters step off the page, and the timeless writing alongside the atmospheric mood of the northern city makes the book read like classic, but with an exciting new edge to it. I loved Aidan Waits, the quick-witted detective who finds himself working a destructive undercover case in a world without certainty, and can't wait to see what's next for him.
The mystery is wonderfully twisted (I didn't guess), and I'd be lying if I said the ending didn't leave me with a tear in my eye. An excellent novel.
on 8 March 2018
I found this slow and hard going until half way in when I really began to engage with the story. The final pages seemed more tidying up than natural run out of the story
on 6 May 2018
Not really my sort of book! Too violent, too urban and about the drugs trade. It was a page turner and well written, however.
on 22 May 2018
A great book - a book that starts slow but then speeds up faster and faster. Gripping right to the end. Time to start the second one!
on 7 May 2018
did not live up to expectations
on 20 January 2018
A v good read ... esp for expat mancunians ... via stoke. Interesting character, the lead. Got legs (one broken).
on 1 April 2018
Good story although writing style needs some getting used to. Liked the preview of second book ,what little I read I think it could have more depth.
on 2 April 2018
Read his two books in the "wrong"order but didn't stop me enjoying them! Both excellent. I would recommend them (in the right order!)
on 1 April 2018
First time I have read a book in years and really enjoyed it...Good story and everything was tied up nicely, look forward to the next book..and getting me reading again...