Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2006
This is the fourth of the novels about Joe Sixsmith, a redundant lathe operator turned private eye from Luton. The chapel choir that Joe sings in is on its way to Wales for a choral festival. Things get off to a fine start when the bus first gets lost on the way, and then breaks down in the middle of nowhere.The last incident to mar the journey is a good deal more serious, as they come across a burning cottage with a woman trapped inside. Joe goes to the rescue, saving the woman but putting himself in hospital for a few hours, and putting himself out of the choral competition with the tenporary throat damage from smoke inhalation. That leaves him with plenty of time to investigate the fire, which at first glance looks like an anti-English arson attack that went further than intended. But his digging gradually turns up evidence of other crimes, some petty and others very serious indeed.

As always with Reginald Hill's novels, this book is both a gripping mystery and a beautifully written piece of prose. Joe is an entertaining character, and the book is very funny without ever trivialising the crime that lies at the heart of the case. The cast of characters is well developed, and there's a nice exploration of the way middle and upper-class criminals can cover their tracks by exploiting the willingness of others to do a little favour for a friend.

Hill's series books build a continuing universe, with his characters developing as a results of events in previous books, and later books often refer back to early books in the series. This one is no exception, but there's enough backstory worked in that you don't need to have read the earlier books in the series first--at the time of writing this is the only Sixsmith novel I've read, and I had no trouble following the references to the backstory.
I usually think of Joe Sixsmith of the poor relation to Dalziel and Pascoe. Often humourous and lightly written in this book Joe has come of age. He is given more maturity and depth and I enjoyed it much more than usual. The Welsh setting takes him out of Luton for once, which I think helps a lot! For a relatively short novel it has a lot to offer.
on 7 February 2000
I always enjoy Reginald Hill's books, they are well constructed and a very good read. But, this book has had me puzzled from the beginning not because of the story but because it keeps sending me to sleep and has taken me longer to read than any of his other books - I keep asking myself why am I reading it, but I will not be beaten so keep trying!
on 5 July 2016
The classy writing and customary humour are there, but there is also something missing.

As another reviewer has observed, this book almost put her/him to sleep and I can understand why. It is quite slow and the mystery element is low. We also have a cast of thousands, most with nicknames, so it wasn't always easy to keep up either.

I like this series, and our protagonist, but most of Hill's stuff is better than this.
on 5 August 2016
Not my favourite because Whitey stayed at home and wasn't able to participate much.
on 13 June 2016
A clever story by a great author. Good sense of humour and an interesting plot.