on 25 October 2005
Astronomy for most of us is the joy of looking up into the night sky and view the vista of stars and planets clearly above us, but try to find a simplified explanation for what you are looking at is not that easy - Astronomy for Dummies appears on my bookshelf from a way back.
Baffled by jargon?
Scientifically challenged?
No, but looking for something that will educate, entertain and help you enjoy the night sky - Simple Stargazing is a book for you. Almost completely jargon free and technically/scientifically only 3 or 4 parts needed to be explained throughout the entire book.
It shows you what you should find, how to find it, what it should look like in very easy steps.
The quarterly sky sections show you the night sky in spring, summer, autumn and winter - explaining how the sky moves and what it meant to the human race over the millennia - and in jargon free English!!
The style of writing is that of almost a conversation with you.
The explanations of how the constellations got there names and olde worlde plates alongside the star configuration is very complementary.
The use of photographs that show the sky as is and alongside or opposite the same photograph with the "dots joined" is a clever use of the medium.
I have one small criticism - the occasional description of a named galaxy or nebula, but the accompanying photograph is another galaxy or nebula could be a little confusing.
One noted error, the Transit of Venus took place on the 8th June 2004 and not 4th May as stated in the book.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of 7 to 70+ - this is an ideal purchase as it covers both the Northern & Southern Hemisphere in great and easy detail.
It should become a classic astronomical standard reference for most amateurs.
on 11 February 2006
Simple Stargazing is a book that has been written by an enthusiast. In fact, you can hear his enthusiasm bursting forth from every page.
Forget the dull, dry books of facts that used to be the choice for astronomy textbooks, here is a book that lives.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who has at least a passing interest in the stars above them. It will inform, but furthermore it will entertain.
on 13 November 2006
This book is very easy to read and very amusing. My only criticism is that the star charts are not too clear on where to look in the sky when you are a very unknowledgable beginner like me! definately worth buying though.
on 26 September 2010
I am a 13 year old girl who wanted to learn about the night sky. This book opened a door for me. Everything is explained as clear as day and before long I was explaining the night sky to my family. The book gives you places you can visit and resources to help you learn and expand your knowledge. It tells you what you need to have to be able to see starry objects. I like that there is one chart with what the sky would look like and another with the lines connected. It gives you date ranges and peak dates for meteor showers so we sometimes sit outside and watch tons of meteors fly across the sky. The way it is written is like somebody personally talking to you. I totally recommend it to beginners who want to learn about the night sky.
on 29 November 2011
This review is of the 2005 hardback edition. I am 56 years old and have recently decided to make better use of my 10 x 50 binoculars, maybe even buying a telescope eventually. I also do some night navigation on land and water. I bought this book to help me find my way around the sky without overloading me with information at first, and it has admirably served this function. For me it's pitched at a very young audience, but I was not put off as it was telling me what I needed to know. It is large enough to be easily read under observing conditions, and small enough for me to take it up the hill for a view of the whole sky. It's also robust enough to put up with this treatment. I have read some reviews which state that the black text on blue ground is hard to read. Under day or normal electric light this is true, but if you use a red light to read the book outdoors as the author suggests you will see that this combination works brilliantly under observing conditions. (or you could try this under the stairs if you don't believe me) Note that nowadays (dear me, that's all of seven years on!) an LED bike rear light will do this job very well and is probably easier to get than red lamp gel, though I suppose you could use sweet wrappers, possibly a suggestion for the next edition. There are some LED head torches, especially those sold for military use, which have red light elements too. It probably is more for children, though at this range I would not venture to guess at what age, but I'm giving it five stars because it does exactly what it says on the cover, this was what I expected and it more than met the expectation.
on 16 February 2009
It does what is says on the cover, for anyone who wants to navigate from constellation to constellation its a must, I found it so simple and easy to use, ideal for the beginner as he uses numbers for stars as opposed to greek letters which if your not familiar with makes the job harder.
I would not be without this book and wish I would have bought it before.
on 22 February 2013
this book was bought for my 5 year old gandson who has been learning about star & planets at school
He loves reading this book with me and keeps checking the sky each night
the book was second hand but in great condition and at a super price
delivery was fast ,what more could you ask for .great seller /thank you
on 22 January 2010
My husband rented this out at the library for about a year before I brought it him, he said its a excellent book for somebody just starting to learn astronomy!
on 4 July 2010
This book is spoilt by the fact that the designer decided to put black text on a dark blue background for the sky-maps!!...ridiculous. If you want a a far better book I would recommened STARGAZING by Robin Scargell, an amazing book and all that you would ever need. (I am not related to Scargel by the way)
on 4 December 2012
Totally enjoyed reading this book which allows some understanding of a very complex subject. The writer Anton Vamplew takes a young persons view and this will be ideal for children from 10 to 110