on 10 February 2012
I have one criticism: at the end of the book, the author claims the bread can last up to 3 weeks; we have never managed more than 2 days!
I like cooking, but I do not like following "exact" (or any) recipes - and so I had never made bread before. But as the bread from shops around here is so poor, and gives most of the family eczema, I decided to go for it, following this book which I'd actually bought some time ago.
I like it. Others have criticized it because it is short, or because it only gives one variation. Perhaps, but that's all I need, as long as it's good. And it is - my children devoured even the couple of unleavened efforts at the beginning!
I did find that my starter didn't work out, before I used organic bought starter a couple of times - but now I just use the starter from the last loaves (without any added starter-yeast).
I have developed a variation on the cooking - to please my tastes. I cover the baking-tin or put the dough in a Pyrex dish with cover - which I remove 10 minutes from the end. I find, by keeping the humidity in, that the crust particularly is less thick and less dry, that way - and the loaf looks "shinier" (It is important to take off the cover at the end, or else the crust becomes soggy).
I'm still playing with different varieties of flour, will probably try a little Rye. Overall, the book is yes, short, yes, simple - and yes, we get excellent bread out of it!
on 17 July 2013
Makes the black art of sourdough bread easy and understandable. the methods are foolproof - try it, we did and it is superior to shop bought loaves
on 9 October 2011
A waste of time buying this; seriously, you need to research a little more than this 'booklet' which is all it is. There are far better books on artisan/sourdough bread baking out there. The most import ingredient in sourdough baking is the 'starter' ...this booklet does nothing to assist the reader in creating and nurturing that elusive culture.
on 13 December 2013
This is a very short book but it tells you all you need to know to make sourdough. Still I am not going to make bread in the quantities suggested. I have my own sourdough starter but I think I might need to make bread using Mark's method.
on 7 January 2014
The book is too simply and not much informative. Instructions are simple but lack detail I had to dig internet to find out more about starting the culture because it is the most important step towards making good loaf.
on 19 May 2015
Just the basic instructions, without the variations, which is all you need really. Basic instructions are clear and concise, so should be read by anybody interested in making sourdough. Also, they appear to work! For a free book, what more do you want?
on 26 January 2014
The 'book' is a basic article that can be found anywhere FREE on the internet. Not one recipe in sight and nothing I didn't already know...very disappointing!
on 29 September 2014
There is a lot of mysticism and even a touch of magic, perhaps, surrounding this subject.

This book debunks all the myths surrounding sourdough starters. It's common sense approach makes it possible for those of us who are not master bakers or even wizards to enjoy the best bread with ease and confidence.

l wish that I had this knowledge years ago!
on 19 August 2013
I am intrigued by Sourdough, the process behind it and how to make bread.
The book is really short and to the point, but it gives you a real fast insight into the subject.
A good book for a beginner to learn the basics.
Can't wait to try Sourdough out for myself.
Great read!
on 5 January 2013
A pamphlet or leaflet more than a book but has everything you need information wise to make sourdough. There are many books on this subject but at the end they don't say much more than this does and in such a succcinct way. Would recommend for sourdough addicts.