SilverStripe: The Complete Guide to CMS Development (Wiley) Paperback – 30 Oct 2009
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
aninvaluable guide, taking you all the way from installation tocreating professional quality websites. (.netMagazine, March 2010).
From the Back Cover
Design Powerful websites using this definitive guide to theaward winning SilverStripe framework.
SilverStripe is a robust and exible website contentmanagement system (CMS) tightly integrated with an applicationframework. It is open source and embraces modern systemarchitecture and agile development methodologies. Intermediatedevelopers can implement powerful websites and web applicationsquickly and customize them to their needs. The award–winningPHP5/MySQL–based system saves not only time and nerves fortechnical users, but also features a straightforward interface thatnon–technical content authors will find a joy to use.
This guide helps you to:
- Get started with SilverStripe: learn the architectureand usability principles that underpins SilverStripe. Go throughthe technical requirements and installation process, and learnuseful tools for your daily work.
- Learn the CMS: practical examples show you how to usethe CMS for managing content, images, documents and forms withouttechnical knowledge. Administrators learn to set up permissions andsecurity groups.
- Develop a custom application: use MVC and other moderndesign patterns to create concise template markup and wellstructured, object–oriented PHP code. Let the authors walk youthrough the creation of an interactive recruitment website aspractical example project.
- Extend through clean code and modules: understand howSilverStripe is built on modularity and why this empowers you tobuild plugins and core extensions in an elegant, maintainablefashion.
- Use SilverStripe professionally: in–depth topics oninternationalization, security, unit testing, performance,multi–page forms and web service APIs ensure that you can buildworld–class websites.
Top Customer Reviews
Those days are long gone.
The sort of client who can put enough money on the table to allow you to pay for the mortgage, holiday and decent car wants a lot more than the typical '8 page static website and contact form' from 5 years ago.
They want their news page and company blog entries to appear on their facebook wall, and they want a forum that uses the same styling as the main site. Plus they want an online product catalogue with e-commerce capability. Oh, and you'll have to fit in that twice monthly newsletter. And the twitter feed thing needs to go in on a sidebar somewhere. But of course, they won't ask for all those things up front. That would be too easy.
And here's the killer: its got to be all editable and moderated by the client, noting that the client knows only two applications: Word and Powerpoint. Yeah, I know. I feel the pain.
If the client I'm describing is the one that you have to keep turning away because you don't know how to do what they are asking for (or you have to hire that really expensive PHP/MySQL guy to do it, and he just eats up the profits) then you need Silverstripe.
Silverstripe is one of the easiest Content Management Systems out there. It lets you the designer create mid level dynamic websites with ease. You don't need to know much more about PHP and MySQL that you can't pick up in a few evenings of staying away from the pub. You need to know the barest minimum about OOP (because thats all handled in the naming structure). And best of all, that money on the table is all yours.Read more ›
Very well written, and explains everything I need to develop solutions with the Silverstripe CMS.
/Lars T. Hansen - Software Developer