Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens: Uniforms, Wings and Insignia of USAAF Airmen in World War II (Schiffer Military History) Hardcover – 10 Sep 2004
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
So, how is it SO indispensable? It helps you know WHAT to look for when you collect militaria from this genre. It helps you to develop an "eye" for what is correct in authentic items.
Secondly, Jon Maguire's descriptions enable you to KNOW what WIEGHT or colour or texture a GENUINE article should be.
Any suggestions for a "Revised" edition by Maguire? He might want to add a 1-2 page writeup on the "Best-of-the-best" militaria items, such as A-2 flight jackets by "RoughWear" [no longer in business] or uniforms [and especially officer's visor service caps] by the inimitable "Luxenberg" [also no longer in business] and so forth.
Secondly, sometimes his foto light was a shade deviant, so that the reddish-russet officer's officer's shoes looked more tan-brown. How do I know? I own an "NOS" [new old stock] pair of UNissued officer's low quarters. They are a burnt-orange reddish-brown, like some of the early war visor service caps.
I also own a full set of officer's PINKS, and under flourescent light, they look mauve/pink. His fotos looked more khaki.
But this can be improved in time. Nonetheless, this book rates 5 stars for EFFORT and for its overall USEFULLness.
BTW, if Jon Maguire reads this, can he write me for suggestions and queries?
2LT Jesse Irwin Carnes
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > Strategy, Tactics & Military Science
- Books > History > Military History > Weapons & Warfare
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Engineering & Technology
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > Reference > Transport > Aviation
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Military & Naval > Military Aircraft
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Political Science & Ideology > Political Science
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence > Weapons & Equipment