on 31 March 2017
The beauty of this book is the simple, easy to follow style in which it is written. The anecdotes fit in well with the instruction and make it an interesting read. Unlike others of the genre, the author does not confuse and over complicate the subject. Perfect for a student like myself! Would highly recommend to any keen golfer looking for that Nirvana of the game - Relaxed Concentration!
on 28 April 2014
As a mid handicap golfer I have always struggled in competitions to stay calm and focused, especially during slow play, so I decided to try and work on the mental side of the game by reading publications such as this. Following reading this particular book, I found that I was able to free my mind of all the junk that normally would wizz round during play and that by only thinking about where the shot would go my game and my personal enjoyment improved immediately. I am still working on it and re-read snippets everyday. Would recommend to anyone with an over busy mind and lacking in focus on the course.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 March 2017
It's a reasonable take on golf sports psychology. The comparisons of the mental approaches of Hagen, Jones and Hogan are interesting.
on 3 May 2016
I have the Kindle version of this book and was my bedtime reading in the run up to our Club Championship in 2015.
The prospect of a 2 day 36 hole medal was really playing on my mind as a higher handicapper but having finished the book the night before the first round I found myself calmer with less fear and even relishing the challenge.
Only managed a net 74 on day 1 and re-read part of the book in bed ready for a 7.50am start on day 2 (I am retired and hate early starts especially Sunday morning)
On the first tee I felt calm, relaxed and determined to enjoy the day and started with 3 straight pars with conditions perfect for golf.
I finished with the best net of the day, a 67, beating a field of around 80 players and finished 2nd overall in the net 36 hole competition.
For me this was nothing short of a miracle having won the Sunday medal and I now re-read my favourite chapters in the book before club matches and medal comps.

I am 69 years old playing off a 20 handicap and to have come so close to actually winning our Club Championship playing off the back tees is a dream come true and has proved to me the need to work harder on my mental game.
Golf can be incredibly frustrating and still is but I now have a simple and effective way of coping with the worst that this amazing game can conjure up. I no longer feel helpless when my swing breaks down far from the clubhouse.

This is the first and only book I have read which deals with the mind game and has given me the confidence to believe absolutely that I can continue to reduce my handicap down to 16 and play as well as I did when I started golf in my mid forties.
on 8 July 2010
Any of us who play golf know it is all in the mind. Yes, there are skills and techniques which have to be learned but after that the mind takes over and you bring the same doubts, fears, problems and negativities to golf as you bring to the organisation of the rest of your life.
What Sieger does very well in this book is to analyse this aspect of the game and devise skills and suggest ways for dealing with it. This is not a book which is micro analysing your swing or where your left foot should be, but one which sets out to improve the attitude and approach you bring to your game.

His assessments of the way great players played the game are very useful and shows that even they had the same mind problems all of us high handicappers - and even low handicappers - face.

I thought his story about his golfing record at Surrey University was particularly illuminating. When he thought he was in a position in which he couldn't lose he believed he could win. When he realised a mistake had been made and he was actually playing a much better player than himself he believed he would lose - and he did.
I hope he had a nice glass of red wine after that match!
I can recommend this book to anyone who is looking to improve their game of golf not by shaving a club or chanting mantras during their backswing but who wants to clear their mind and bring a proper mental approach to the game.
on 19 July 2010
Silent Mind Golf: How to Get Out of Your Own Way and Play Golf Intuitively and Instinctively

The beauty of this book is in the simplicity of the message. The use of metaphors from every day life and the practical examples make it an easy task to assimilate the key learnings and make them stick. It may be just a coincidence but my game has become less complicated and more consistent since I picked up the book.
on 13 April 2010
At last a book on the mental game of golf which is practical and really helps! I have bought several other books on this topic which promise amazing changes but are very low on the practical aspects of what you could do to improve performance. This one hits the sweet spot and provides simple but powerful ways to improve.
on 1 November 2012
I've reached a point in my golf where my missed are down to mental conditioning rather than technique. Having read 4 of the Rotella books and a Joseph Parent book I found my understanding of the 'why' of mental conditioning and 'what' needs to be fixed but very little 'how' to fix the problem. As such I don't feel that they helped my game as much as I'd have liked. I then heard about Silent Mind Golf through a golf forum and based on the rave reviews on Amazon I bought it and have read it three times in as many weeks now. The book explains clearly and concisely the reasons for mental conditioning but more importantly (for me!) it gives several conditioning exercises throughout the book to start your mind along the right path. There's also a free downloadable audio file on the author's website which covers one of the exercises.

To summarise the last three weeks of adopting this new way of thinking on the course I feel like golf is less technical and there's less thought while on the course. I simply apply the three thoughts in sequence and hit the ball and it seems to be a vast improvement over my previous pre-shot routine both in terms of enjoyment of the game but also the resulting shot. I *highly* recommend this book to anyone who has a decent basic golf swing to begin with but finds their mental game letting them down, whether through over-analysis or excessive pre-shot routine checks.
on 3 April 2010
As a female golfer who has not being playing for long, I have had many lessons and find myself spending too much time thinking about my swing 'whilst I am swinging', which makes me too conscious of
what I am trying to do. I realise that I don't think about driving my car whilst I drive my car, or technique when I cook. This book is wonderful because it brings the same logic to golf. I loved it. Simple, very instructive, and the CD shows me how to still my mind and believe in my swing and myself on
on the course.
on 15 January 2011
This is certainly a must-read. It has transformed completely my whole outlook. Just how many times have we 1) messed up on the first tee, under the "pressure" gazes of your playing partners? 2) choked under pressure and fluffed shots we have done a number of times in the past and therefore should be simple? 3) allowed negative thoughts to enter out mind and sabotage our play? 4) messed up a shot before we've even executed it because we recall the last time we hooked/sliced it into the woods/water?

We've all been there and this book tells you how to avoid these "mind traps". It's very readable and I will certainly revisit it periodically. To paraphrase Tony Jacklin in the prologue "I wish I had found this book years ago!"

An invaluable aide is the CD which comes with it. I have listened to it a few times and even have it in the car, so I can listen to it on long-ish journey (my daily run is too short!).

Finally at the price you can pick up on Amazon, it's an absolute bargain! So don't ponder, buy it and see for yourselves. No golf lesson nor new club can help when it comes to the mind - this book does just that!

Happy golfing