Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2017
An excellent book. Slow start, but well worth the effort. Carofiglio is a wonderful writer. I'm a great fan of his Guido Guerrieri series.
on 21 August 2014
The first thing to say is that this story is quite different to Carofiglio's Guido Guerrieri books - although, the more I reflect upon it, the more I see the seeds of "The Silence of the Wave" in the other stories. However, at first glance, this offering would seem to have more in common with something like Gabriel Byrne's "In Treatment" TV series than with standard crime drama novels. And I suppose the key question for the reader then becomes, "Is that the sort of book you want to read?"

The story is about Roberto, a forty-something Marshal in the carabinieri (the national military police in Italy) whose work has led to him having a breakdown. We join him attending therapy sessions with a local psychiatrist in Rome and, as well as reviewing and coming to terms with memories from his past as they surface in his conscious mind, Roberto also has to continue some kind of existence in the present. This is stimulated by meeting another patient of his doctor's, a former actress called Emma. She has a 12-year-old son called Giacomo who is also an important figure in the tale. As the therapy works and Roberto slowly recovers, the story gently develops before reaching what I considered a good and satisfying conclusion.

Personally, the experience of reading this book reminded me a little of reading the books of a bygone age - the build-up is very gradual and NOT the action-packed activity from start to finish that's more synonymous with much contemporary fiction. However, make no mistake, by the end of this short novel, I was turning the pages avidly to find out what was going to happen.

Carofiglio also has a depth to his writing - and, indeed, to his view of life - which, in my opinion, puts him in the exalted company of the Colin Dexters of this world. "The Silence of the Wave" is, in fact, his most reflective offering and coaxes us into exploring ideas about the tension caused by spending our individual resources on performing vital functions for society at the expense of our personal relationships and, indeed, our very selves. This book may well gently suggest to the thoughtful reader that they might like to ask one or two questions of their own society and even themselves.

However, if that sounds heavy, don't be put off! "The Silence of the Wave" is not preachy or brow-beating - and the story is really very readable and enjoyable. It's not hard-going and Carofiglio weaves his tale masterfully.
So, whilst this book is not full of car chases and explosions, I found it to be a high-quality offering which was a pleasure to read AND which made me think. Overall, I was very glad to have invested in it!
on 21 October 2013
I ordered this book because I had enjoyed Carofiglio's previous books about Guido Guerrieri an advocate in Bari. This book is much more unconventional and takes you on a journey into the mind of Roberto a carabineri who is on sick leave for reasons that only become clear as the narrative unfolds. This was a very different kind of story to Carofiglio's previous work but proved to be a very rewarding and thought provoking read that raised intriguing questions about the relationship between someone's deepest personality and their professional identity. This was psychological thriller in the truest sense.
on 5 December 2013
Having read all of his previous books translated into English and greatly enjoyed them, I have just read The Silence of the Wave.

It was a case of ..."well I have started it so must finish it". It is not a thriller of any sort and to me, nothing like his previous books. So if you buy it, do not do so expecting another good Carofiglio read.

It tells the story of a Carabinieri Marshall who has worked under cover for too long and has finally had a breakdown. The world of vice and narcotics has destroyed him and he is regularly attending a psychiatrist. The book is lightened by his encounter with an attractive ex-actress, who is also having weekly sessions with the same psychiatrist. It is a thought provoking book but cannot be likened to previous Carofiglio books translated into English therefore buy it as a book to read if you have nothing better to do.
on 10 February 2016
Having read all other Carofiglio novels in English, this book didn't quite match up to the others. You seem to wait for it to kick into life and it does, but only at the very end.
on 7 September 2013
I wasn't able to engage as well with the central figure as I expected - but that could be me rather than the book/author. I am a fan of Carofiglio as a commentator on life, and some of his writing is excellent too - but there are flaws in the pace of things.
on 19 May 2014
This is the first Carofiglio I have read and am unlikely to read another. A nice romance book and I liked the way he brings the parallel stories together, but not enough crime in it to either turn it into a thriller or keep you guessing whodunnit.
on 2 November 2014
on 5 May 2014
A quiet understated story but hugely powerful. Not a thriller as such but you still can't wait to find out how the story ends.