- Also check our best rated Camera reviews
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ £24.00 delivery
2 year Accidental Damage & Breakdown Coverfrom London General Insurance Company Limited
- Accidental damage cover including mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- E-mail delivery of policy documents within 24 hours.
- If your product cannot be repaired, you choose between a replacement or an Amazon Gift Card to the value of a replacement.
- Cancel at any time; full refund within 45 days, proportional thereafter. Transferable if you sell or gift your product.
- Amazon Protect does not cover products purchased for business/commercial use and only covers products purchased on the same day from Amazon.co.uk. Please read the Policy Summary and Terms and Conditions located on the insurance product page before buying.
Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 DC Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- an ultra wide angle zoom lens for Nikon digital SLR cameras
- Incorparates four FLD low dispersion elements and three aspherical elements
- HSM motors for quiet high speed focussing
- Internal focussing
- Suitable for Nikon digital SLR cameras with APS-C sensors
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Compare with similar items
Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras with APS-C Sensors
Nikon AF-P DX NIKKOR 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens Black
Tokina AT-X PRO 11-16mm F2.8 DXII Lens
Tokina AT-X 11-20 mm f2.8 PRO DX Lens for Nikon Camera
Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical Lens for Canon
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||£24.00||£24.00||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.co.uk||Amazon.co.uk||Digital Decoded||Ergositting||Ergositting||The Toy Aisle|
|Item Dimensions||10.6 x 7.5 x 7.5 cm||8.8 x 8.7 x 8.7 cm||20.32 x 11.43 x 11.43 cm||10.2 x 10.2 x 10.2 cm||8.89 x 8.89 x 9.19 cm||8.3 x 8.3 x 8.7 cm|
|Item Weight||0.56 kg||0.52 kg||230 grams||0.55 kg||0.56 kg||406 grams|
|Max Focal Length||16 mm||20 mm||20||16 mm||20||24 mm|
|Min Focal Length||8 mm||10 mm||10||11 mm||11||10 mm|
|Mounting Type||nikon||Nikonbayonet||Nikon||Nikon F||Nikon||Canonbayonet|
Style Name: Nikon Digital DSLR Camera
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Zoom Adjustment:Manual, Mounting Type:Nikon D, Min View Angle:75.7 degree(s), Minimum Aperture:F/22, Magnification:1 / 7.8, Max View Angle:114.5 degree(s), Type:Wide-angle zoom lens, Lens Aperture:F/4.5-5.6, Special Functions:Wide angle, zoom, Focus Adjustment:Automatic, manual, Filter Size:72 mm, Features:Internal focusing system, Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM), aspherical lens, FLD glass, Focal Length:8 mm - 16 mm, Diaphragm Blades:7, Lens Coating:Super Multi-Layer Coating, Intended For:35mm SLR, digital SLR, Optical Zoom:2 x, Lens Construction:11 groups / 15 elements, Min Focus Distance:24 cm, Included Accessories:Lens hood, lens cap
The first ultra-wide zoom lens with a minimum focal length of 8mm, designed especially for APS-C size image sensors. The wide angle of view and exaggerated perspective enables the photographer to emphasise the subject. Four FLD ("F" Low Dispersion) glass elements, which have the performance equal to fluorite glass, compensate for colour aberrations. Two glass mould elements and one hybrid aspherical lens give excellent correction for distortion and astigmatism. Incorporating an internal focusing system, the lens produces high definition images throughout the entire zoom range. FLD glass is the highest level low dispersion glass available with extremely high light transmission. This optical glass has a performance equal to fluorite glass which has a low refractive index and low dispersion compared to current optical glass. It also benefits from high anomalous dispersion. These characteristics give excellent correction for residual chromatic aberration (secondary spectrum) which cannot be corrected by ordinary optical glass and ensures high definition and high contrast images. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting. It provides sharp and high contrast images throughout the entire zoom range. This lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), ensuring quiet and high speed AF as well as full-time manual focus capability. The lens has a compact construction with a diameter of 75mm, overall length of 105.7mm and weight of 555g. This compact and lightweight construction makes it ideal for travel photography. This lens has a minimum focusing distance of 24cm throughout the entire zoom range and a maximum magnification ratio of 1:7.8.See all Product description
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
First the bad -
1) Beware Sigma's quality control! The first sample of the lens I received exhibited serious decentering in a large area of the upper-right quarter of the frame. This revealed itself as a blurry area while the rest of the image was well focused, even when stopped down to f8. But amazon, true to form, sent out a replacement straight away.
2) The maximum aperture is only f4.5. Now, being a wide angle lens you don't have to worry as much about camera shake with exposures of under say 1/20th sec as you would with a telephoto, BUT as this lens has NO image stabilization, I'd strongly suggest you steady yourself when shooting in poor light or with exposures of under 1/20th sec. I find that while I can risk shooting with my image stabilized Nikkor 16-85mm @ 16mm @ 1/5th sec, I can only risk 1/10th sec with this lens @ 8mm.
3) It's not the sharpest lens in the bag, but not the worst out there either. You can use it wide open at f4.5. Centre sharpness is very good even at f4.5. But it is soft at the edges until you stop down to f8. f11 is the 'sweet spot', with very good (although not excellent) sharpness overall.
4) This lens will not accept standard filters. However, I believe that an attachment is available that fits over the front of the lens which accepts large filters the size of a dinner plate. Unfortunately it's very expensive, as are the filters. But I'd suggest you google for "sigma 8-16mm filter" and other suggestions may turn up.
5) It's difficult to clean and to keep clean. (Inevitably) the large front element protrudes bulbously, and no matter how hard you try to keep it safe, it will be only a matter of time before raindrops or accidental greasy smudges appear on the glass. The usual puffer brush is no use for cleaning off the grease, so before long I had to send off for PecPad non-abrasive wipes and a bottle of Photo Solutions Lens Cleaning Fluid. They're available from amazon at the links below -
I'd suggest you buy them along with this lens, if you don't already have them :-) Cleaning isn't easy, as the petal lens hood cannot be removed !
6) Auto-focus is a bit over the place. On my Nikon D5000 I found I had to use live view to get consistent focusing results. But it's no big deal as this lens has immense depth of field even wide open, and stopped down everything from 6 inches to infinity can be in focus.
And now the good -
1) There is simply NOTHING ELSE quite like this lens for an APS-C sensor camera. And while there are other wide angle zooms out there that may offer wider apertures or sharper images, you will inevitably wish you had the extra few mm focal length that this unique lens offers. Compared to say the Tokina 11-16mm zoom, the extra 3mm that this lens provides at the wide end is VERY significant, as a friend of mine on Flickr found out recently - he now wishes he had this lens too.
2) Depth of field is good with this lens (assuming you like great depth of field). And this negates the auto-focusing issue mentioned above.
3) Build quality is very good indeed.
4) Barrel distortion is very well controlled. Remember that the only lenses which offer wider angle than this lens are fisheye lenses, which are fine if you like LOADS of barrel distortion. And while there is some degree of barrel distortion with this lens (I'd say it's less noticeable than the barrel distortion on my Nikkor 16-85mm @ 16mm), rest assured it is nothing major and can easily be corrected in Lightroom.
So there you have it. This lens does have several shortcoming, but I feel that most of these are an inevitability of the problems involved in designing such an extremely wide angle zoom with minimal barrel distortion. And despite there shortcomings (and please forgive me for repeating myself) there's nothing else quite like this lens that will allow you to produce dramatic wide angle shots with extreme perspective on your APS-C camera.
For that reason alone it's a must-have for many photographers and I find I have it fixed to the front of my camera most of the time. If you'd like to see the results I've obtained with this lens, please check out "Grim Git" on Flickr.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to reviewing sharpness and the technical performance of a lens.Read more