on 15 June 2012
Decades ago I had a series of SLR cameras, and well remember saving up and buying a screw-mounted telephoto lens. By the time you were screwed up and ready to go however, the object of my photographic intent had invariably bolted, flown away, relieved itself or the season had changed. I think I used it twice to test it then proceded to never use it again, so I was not a committed I must have a telephoto lens fanatic.

At the turn of this year I was persuaded to try out DSLR's, by an incredibly photogenic Husky combined with a need to "professionalise" the photographs I was using for my property business, and bought a Pentax K-r entry model camera.

I then got a bit carried away & bought a series of lenses, but this one with its Macro feature, superb build quality, outrageous value for money & feel is the absolute star. As but one example - if I go near the said Husky she becomes coy difficult & frustratingly reluctant to be photographed. With this lens I can catch her in inumerable relaxed and natural poses from a significant distance & the photographs are absolutely pin sharp & detailed.

If you are teetering on the brink of justifying the purchase of one of these lenses - just go ahead and buy one - you will have no regrets. I am a point and shoot customer, but I am using more & more of the vast range of features of the DSLR cameras. I use this Sigma lens very frequently & will now probably never buy anything other than Sigma & Pentax. These lenses command very strong prices in the second-hand market, which says it all. Very Highly recommended.
on 20 August 2012
First, I totally agree with all the praise of the five star reviews here and on other sites. There's no mistake about it, this is a fantastic lens, especially for the price. Being an enthusiast, not a professional, I don't think I'll be replacing it, unless it dies. But I won't be wasting anybody's time by repeating same things that other reviewers already said. Instead, I'd rather point out a couple of little things to bear in mind.

- Weight. It feels quite heavy. Coupled with a K-r makes for a fairly weighty duo. It doesn't have to be a problem, but it may be for some.
- Noise. It is a little bit on a shouty side. It is a lovely, oldskool cyborg-like sound, but it may feel intrusive for some.
- Operation. Don't know about others, but the zoom ring on mine is slightly laborious. Every time I change back to my stock Pentax lens it feels like I've just reached the solid ground after wading through a bog. Again, not a big problem, but worth pointing out.
- Macro switch. Ah, here's the thing... It's a stubborn little fella. After I bought the lens and encountered this problem I've done a little bit of googling and it seems that I wasn't the only one. The problem is that the switch gets stuck. Sometimes it's enough to turn the camera off, sometimes you have disconnect the lens altogether. It is a definite flaw and an annoying little fly in the ointment of otherwise very good build quality but then again, The camera has the macro setting on its own and on a couple of test shots I took I could not see any apparent difference the macro setting on the lens has made. So I leave it off and don't make too much fuss about it (at least for me it definitely wasn't worth sending it back and waiting for another one).

So for those reasons listed there is a star off, but like I said, these things may not be a problem to every one, same as I can live with them and still be quite happy with the lens.
on 15 May 2013
For the price, this lens is a wonder. Sharp, crisp images with great colour. Well worth the extra bit of money. I have also owned the cheaper version of this lens, and can state that this one is a different animal. Auto-focus is quieter and way quicker than the cheaper model. Also you can manually set the F stop, great if you mount this on an older 35mm film camera without the Auto setting for the aperture.
One small downside to note, and not surprising with a lens at this price, is that the front of the lens rotates, which is something to keep in mind if you use filters, which I do.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 June 2012
Searched many websites and customers comments before opting for this lens for my Pentax K-r. The deciding comments for me were those concerning performance against cost. At a quarter of the price of the similar Pentax zoom, this lens is real value for money. I am a total layman when it comes to photography, point and shoot describes me to a T, but this lens is so easy to use I have already added some wonderful photos to my collection. Much mention has been made about the requirement for a tripod/monopod but I have only found one necessary when using the macro for really close-up shots (you just have to be careful where you hold the lens is all). This lens is beautifully made and comes complete with a carry case and a lens hood. I would strongly recommend it to anyone of my standard who really cannot justify paying four figures for a lens, or anyone that takes photos for fun rather than work. I've just bought the equivalent Canon lens for my grandson. Strongly advise reading the instruction book before even taking the lens out of its bag!
on 4 May 2013
A fantastic lens for the money. Worked well and good sharp focus response, plus it comes with a case for protection.
The macro facility is in teh range of 200 - 300mm so you don't need the crouch in close, best used witha tripod and a remote release to avoid camera shake though.
on 8 February 2012
I am only just starting out but this lens has been superb, would't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Bought for an absolute steal compared to other branded ones.
on 24 October 2012
Usual great service from Amazon, being a Prime member is certainly proving cost effective as I ordered Monday pm and it arrived Tuesday am.
The lens was well packaged, and on opening the Sigma box you're presented with a nice padded case containing the lens and hood.
Build quality is good, not up to the standard of my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 or Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, but overall pretty good.
Zoom is smooth as is manual focus, the AF isn't too noisy and is pretty quick.
Having taken about 50 shots outdoors on a fairly bright afternoon I am only keeping one (2%) that I am happy enough with the IQ (added to this review)
The rest were just not really impressive enough (in terms of clarity or quality under various f-stop conditions) for me to want to keep it.

It's good value for money, IQ is okay for a budget lens, but I'd rather pay more for better IQ.

I also had issues with the macro switch, had to remove the lens from the camera to switch between Normal and Macro.
review image
on 9 June 2015
After comparisons with other lenses of the same type and price range, I settled on this and am extremely happy with my choice, the lens comes with a case and lens hood, the picture quality is very good. Although some reviews imply that the macro facility is a chore to set up I found it quite easy, if the instructions are followed. Works well in auto and manual settings, all round great lens in its class and price range, and added bonus is that Sigma are currently offering an extended warranty.
on 3 November 2012
I bought this for my 16 year old daughter. It works fine and picture quality seems to me to be as good as with the Pentax lens that came with the camera, although I am no expert. She won 1st prize in the children's photograph category in the village show with it, but there were only a few entries. She of course is delighted with the lens.
on 1 January 2013
Was looking for a quality zoom lens at a good price to go with my Pentax k30 and this Sigma Iens is perfect.Picture quality is sharp and detailed,a good buy for someone on a budget.