on 6 April 2013
I didn't buy this lens from Amazon, I wasn't an Amazon user at the time that I made the purchase.

I've been using this lens on my Canon EOS40D for about three years.
When I first bought it I was pleased to see that there was a carrying case and strap included because I knew it would be a bit unwieldy to carry on the camera.

What I didn't realize was the quality of the lens was such that it would become my favourite go-to lens for just about every photography outing.

I have a battery grip that makes the rig even heavier but helps greatly as it does give you a much better hold of the camera and lens.
Using the tripod "foot" in the crook of my arm helps control the lens but unless you use a tripod then the autofocus and stabilization should be used. The autofocus system is quick to come into effect when the shutter release is pressed halfway and is excellent, plenty good enough for my needs.

A bonus with the EOS40D is that it is a 1.6 to 1 sensor ratio compared to a full 35mm frame size so the actual focal length that you get is 240-800.
This fits well with my Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens and my Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens.
So I am covered from 17mm to 800mm in three good quality Image Stabilized lenses.

I do find that the Sigma 150-500 are is the lens that I use and the Sigma stays attached all the time.

I could go on but the test that I apply to purchases of this magnitude is "would I buy it again". Having used it for a few years I'd have to say yes I would!

My only regret was that I had to part exchange the lens that came with the camera, a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM as I miss the ability to take macro shots.
33 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2009
I bought this lens after extensive research of views and opinions. It is an excellent lens and very good value for money but of course it is not a "pro" lens (check the price of those!!). The most obvious restriction is aperture but by using good light or a tripod this can be minimized. It is also quite weighty which is another good reason for using a tripod.
All in all it is a good value lens and a cost effective way of getting those close up shots you always wanted.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2010
Bought for wildlife photography and receiving a "baptism of dust" on safari in South Africa in mid-August, this lens has proven to be exceptional value for money. It survived the dust, the heat and the bumpy drives admirably and provided some wonderful photos.

Used with both a Minolta D7 and a Sony A350, I've found focusing to be quick for such a long lens and very quietly thanks to the HSM. Hunting was only a minor problem and even then only in particularly cluttered scenes or at particularly close ranges. Speaking of close ranges, this lens does a surprisingly good job of "close-ups", but it's not a replacement for a macro lens by any stretch of the imagination. Also bear in mind the imnpact of APS-sized digital camera sensors... both of the cameras I used have a 1.5x multiplier on focal length which mean this lens effectively becomes a 750mm maximum zoom.

The lens comes with two modes of optical image stabilisation; one for use with static subjects and the other for moving/panning shots. Using either with a Sony/Minolta body can produce "intersting results" if you forget to turn of the in-body anti-shake mechanism. Having tested all combinations, I've been reasonably impressed by the OIS included in the Sigma lens. The fact that it moves lens elements rather than the CCD means that the effects of OIS are immediately visible through the view-finder and can be quite disconcerting to begin with. It also means you have a little more confidence in the stabilisation because your subject isn't jittering about in the frame anywhere near as much. In use, ther's not much between the lens-based and body-based stabilisation technologies. If anything, I think the in-body mechanism gives marginally better results than the lens for static subjects while the lens-based stabilisation is slightly better for panning shots.

The maximum aperture is surprisingly large for such a long lens, and wide-open at 500m it does a wonderful job of losing all background detail. The images seem a little soft at maximum aperture but I think this varies between subjects and is only likely to become apparent at A4+ sized enlargements.

The lens comes with a nice, padded carry case and a strap that attaches to the tripod collar. The collar itself is a very handy addition providing much better balance of the lens on a tripod and, when rotated to 12 o'clock, serves as a great "handle" for the camera & lens. And make no mistake, it's good to have a reliable means of holding things as the pair combined will weigh about 2kg depending on the body you're using and, zoomed to 500mm it's quite a handful. The Zoom lock is handy, it's main use to stop the lens "zooming under it's own weight" while being carried. The OIS mode selector is conveniently located on the barrel close to the body for operation by your left thumb.

All things considered, this lens offers exceptional value for money. Having image stabilisation in the camera body meant that the OIS was less of a selling feature for me, but I still found it useful. The HSM works wonderfully well and is much quieter. But above all, it's the zoom range and quality of images that sell this lens. Highly recommended
on 16 June 2014
Ordered this as I currently have an SAL75300 that wasn't quite getting me 'close enough' to the action, and tried this out at Thruxton race meeting over the weekend. It has to be said that this is a 'heavy' lens so if you are going to be using a lot you will either need very big arm muscles, or a tripod / monopod. As I'm not a muscle-man, the monopod was my option. It proved to be a very good lens zooming in and out very well. Autofocus hunted a little bit (but not so much that I missed any shots). The zoom itself was also quite heavy but you get used to it quickly. I have read some reviews where you lose image / light around the edges but I haven't seen this. There is also a warning that you can lose shutter speed with big lens, but again I didn't find this - even though the weather conditions were fairly overcast. Really like this lens!!
on 4 April 2014
It was with trepidation that I bought this lens. I was looking at the Canon 100-400mm L series when I tested this lens on a Canon 5D Mk3 at the shop. I have had mixed results with Sigma in the past but good experience with their 50mm 1.4 and 15mm. The reviews on the web did little to encourage me but when I took a close look (pixel level) on a calibrated monitor I was simply stunned by the overall image quality compared to the Canon.

Now perhaps I was lucky in having a good copy of this lens and unlucky with the Canon copy. However, considering,after the £100 rebate, this is half the price of the Canon it out performs its price point by a fair margin. I really wanted it to fail. Honestly I did. I wanted to dislike the pictures it produced. I tried it in all sorts of situations over a week in the hope I would be sending it back to Amazon! But I concluded that for me it would do what I needed.

OK, the 500 end is soft when viewed at pixel level, but do a normal A3 print and with correct sharpening it looks great. Drop it down to 400mm and f8 and the results are very good. A picture of a car parking sign from a long distance revealed the contours of the previous car park plastic sticker that was underneath the new one!

Yes, I know that the far corners are really quite soft but then I am not looking in the corners! 99% of the time my subject is in the centre or near enough. Stop down to f11 and the corners improve a bit. But it is still soft so if you are a pixel peeping junky who wants razor sharp everything then this lens is not for you.

Colour and contrast are fine. It is a little more yellow than the canon but a tweak in lightroom or equivalent is all you need. Colours have a nice punch to them.

Build quality? Well it is only £600! What do you expect? Overall it is a nice finish though how it stands up to rough handling over the long term remains to be seen

Focusing on my Canon is fast enough and i tested moving cars and planes using the servo which tracked with ease and multiple shots were all sharp. No issues. Again, don't expect the speed of the Canon f2.8 lens but for most situations it is fast enough.

The OS is brilliant. You would not believe how slow a shutter speed I was using hand held at 400mm..........you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

All in all, despite wanting to justify buying the Canon, I have decided to run with this lens and see if Canon update their range. Will I swap? Time will tell. I need to improve my technique and stop pixel peeping. When that is achieved and I have more practice I may look at the next Canon zoom lens but it will have to be significantly better. I may elect to go for a prime and keep the zoom for the 100-400 range and the odd trespass to 500mm. Let's see.

Try it yourself. Stop pixel peeping. Worry about the picture and if you like it and less about the ultimate sharpness and above all go take some piccys and have fun.
on 1 May 2014
I am a private investigator and I use this lens professionally for evidence gathering in legal cases. It is light enough to be used hand held and gives clear images to the max focal length using a high ISO on my canon 7D. I have used better lenses such as the Sigma 2.8 300mm telephoto (non zoom) at £2200. The 300 will give crisper images at speed but is over 3x the price and not as portable. The 150-500 is very good all round and is the best performance/cost ratio.

The weight s about 1.7kg. Best to use it with an additional battery pack. HSM means Hypersonic Motor, tye lense has its own motor for focusing.The 150-500 has a bellows action but does not move or rotate when focusing. The max bellows movement is about 65mm. I prefer non bellows lenses: However for the money and the portability this lens has to be a top buy.

Check me out at [...]
on 9 May 2014
I've had my eye on this for a while, and I finally took the plunge, and I'm glad I did. Its brilliant. Everything I'd hoped for, its smooth, fast and silent auto-focus. Mind it is heavy, so if very difficult to hold still if not attached to a tripod. Love the lens and very glad I finally decided to get it. Delivery was first rate - ordered it on next day and it arrived in the morning post - before breakfast, whilst I was up in the back and beyond in Scotland! Can't get better all round service than that!
on 22 May 2014
So far excellent very quiet focusing and has optical stabilization great for wildlife,Requires steady tripod to make best use of it
on 24 August 2015
Very good thanks and very fast delivery
on 10 July 2016
Works very well but is heavy and works best on a monopod.