on 20 April 2013
Robert Mitchum (Duke Halliday) is chasing Patric Knowles (Fiske) who stole an army payroll of $300,000.00 from him. In turn, William Bendix (Captain Blake) is hot on the heels of Mitchum whom he believes has taken off with the money himself. Knowles has also stolen $2,000.00 from girlfriend Jane Greer (Joan) who has caught up with him and wants her money back. Everyone arrives in Mexico and the chase is on.

This film is basically one long car chase and the cast all play their parts just fine. Mitchum was arrested in a drugs bust and spent some time in jail during this film and so it's understandable that he wants to get his hands back on the loot so that he can make a nice investment in some Mexican marijuana.

I must mention the misleading advertizing of this film, by Amazon, in allowing customers to believe that they are purchasing the original black and white version. I ordered the film, and like many others, I received a colourized version. This is simple enough to fix, ie, just turn the colour right down on your TV, but that is not the point. Film-making in black and white is a completely different process in terms of lighting consideration, materials and textures used to provide an effective contrast between different shades of grey, how to make things sparkle, etc. For someone to come along and start colouring in these black and white films is utterly moronic, illustrates a complete lack of understanding of how the medium of film works, and annoys the viewer. It should also increase the number of refunds paid out to unsatisfied customers.

Unfortunately, there is just not a lot going on in this film. Everyone meets up in the end and the film pans out exactly as you would expect it to. In fact, the role of William Bendix makes little sense once you get to the end of the film. Whilst the film is ok to pass the time, I've no idea why such a distinguished cast bothered with it. It did have one purpose though - it must have inspired ABBA to write their hit song "Chiquitita".
One person found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
The "Big Steal" refers to a money grab (you do not see the actual crime being committed), nothing to do with steel girders or anything of that sort.

I read all the good things said of this film and wonder what I might say that is not so god. Nothing much, except that some minor details generally puzzle me with scenes of violence where men exchange heavy blows that generally take a good deal of time to lay them low. Then there is the recuperation period, coming out of a scrap and looking pristine clean in no time at all; or young ladies (and sometimes not so young) who appear to negotiate difficult terrain underfoot in high heels and elegant clothing, and so on. This film has all of that and more.

I agree with those reviewers who find the "colour" something of a turn off. Follow the advice to manually return the thing to mono, and then it looks fine. And no, not one of Mitcham's best either.
on 24 June 2017
A light-hearted romp of a car chase across Mexico, with a great cast, but with nothing remotely noir about it. As if to add insult to injury, it's also a colorised print, a fact hidden in small print. Mitchum and Greer make an attractive pairing (with Bendix as a welcome bonus) but it's no 'Build My Gallows High' Three stars for the film, one star for the execrable colorised version.
on 30 June 2013
I was like other reviewers horrified to find this was a colourised version. This should be put in the description and made clear. This is why I gave it 3 stars as I would give 4 for the film.

However it wasn't that hard to sort out as I just turned down the colour on my TV and started to watch in black and white. I really enjoyed this film. Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer are great together with her giving as good as she gets from him. There are lots of funny lines, fights, car chases and a twist at the end. It also has the added advantage of having one of my favourite actors, William Bendix, as an army cop on the trail of Mitchum who he believes has stolen an army payroll. The gorgeous Ramon Navarro is also witty as a clever Mexican cop.

It may not be a classic but its definitely worth the £5.95 I paid for it and I know that I will watch it again if only for Robert Mitchum's sexy one-liners.
on 10 June 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Robert Mitchum movies, another good performance. and a solid performance from William Bendix and not forgetting Jane Greer a tremendous performance. The chemistry between Jane Greer and Robert Mitchum was brilliant as it was also in the movie Out of the Past
aka(Build my Gallows High).
on 18 November 2015
Wonderfull! It was bought as it had Ramón Novarro in and he is my favorite actor but it was a truly great film and in COLOUR unlike television showings.
on 26 July 2017
classic
on 29 September 2012
We were also dismayed to find that this DVD was colourised. As it was so cheap anyway, we didn't think it worth the trouble of returning; but there should be VERY prominent warnings on colourised films, particularly ones supposed to be "noir". The same goes, I may say, for ABRIDGED talking books; the fact that they are abridged should be headlined, not buried in second-rank product details -- I've had to return two of these in the past year.
on 18 July 2014
I liked this film, could watch it over and over again, I like the 40s and 50s look about it.
on 24 May 2015