Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 February 2016
good album - I enjoyed it even though its not my usual music genre listened to.
on 6 March 2017
I really love this Album.
on 3 July 2002
The timing for me buying this album was perfect. Feeling low, alot of people were on the list for a real good ear bashing to let them know my thoughts about them. Then this album came along.
It was like a new lease of life. A dark, angry album, Disturbed come with something that makes u feel someone else feels the same way you do. David Draiman's vocals are simply out of this world. The whole album is mind blowing. And the lyrics to Down with the sickness? There, enough said.
Buy it.
on 31 May 2002
OK so the first time I heard Disturbed I had borrowed a movie soundtrack off a friend and heard their track "A Welcome Burden".I had to hear the album and when I did I was not disappointed!They stand out from the crowd with David Draimans amazing voice!That guy has some issues and although "Down With The Sickness"is one of the best tracks I have to ask why he starts screaming obscenities at his mother?!Stand out tracks are "Fear","Stupify","Game" and "Down With Sickness".One I tend to skip is the kinda pointless "Shout 2000", but I am not a big fan of covers.That said "The Sickness" is undoubtedly one of the best albums I own.If you like them check out their soundtrack work on "Dracula2k" and "Valentine".
on 23 April 2002
This album IS AMAZING! Disturbed are possibly the best new band I've heard in a very long time, it crosses new bridges in rock music, leaving the bands such as Linkin Park and Nickelback in the gutter where they probably belong. The Sickness is a refreshingly good CD overall, each of the tracks displaying their own unique heavy guitar riffs, flowing drums and amazing vocals from David Draiman (how he does that stuff with his voice, I'll never know! But it does sound damn good!) particular songs that stand out are 'Down with the Sickness' 'Stupify' and 'Shout 2000' which really reflect the darkness of Draiman's impressive vocals. Best album of 2001 without a shadow of a doubt. Two words: BUY IT!
on 27 November 2001
Despite what some people may say, the Disturbed boys have put together a fantastic first album. From the opening track "Voices", through the brilliant "Stupify", and "Numb" the album shows that they have a lot of potential to be great. When I first heard this album, as a friend had bought it, I said to myself I had to buy this. So I did... and I can say I havent been disappointed since. The mix of themes and variation in the styles of each track on the album gives it great variation and means it keeps you interested throughout the album. I would recommend this album to anyone, as I really enjoyed it and hope for a second album!
on 11 February 2017
"Duh duh duh-duh-duh... Duh duh duh-duh... Oh wah-ah-ah-ah!!!"

Released in 2000, Disturbed's debut album came at just the right time as nu metal was creeping into the mainstream and making itself one of the biggest genres in the world (albeit, only briefly). With countless bands coming out of the woodwork and jumping on the bandwagon, only a few of them were able to transcend the sub-genre from which they came and become credible bands.

Disturbed are one of those bands.

You probably wouldn't have thought it back in the day, mind you. Musically this album fits right in with the nu metal fad. Heavy, groove-laden tracks, angst-ridden lyrics, de-tuned guitars with no solos in sight... So what set Disturbed apart from the rest?

With their hit single, 'Down With the Sickness' and it's legendary opening of "oh-wah-ah-ah-ah" that would go on to spawn countless internet memes, puns and pop-culture references, it was vocalist David Draiman's unique style that instantly gave the band their own identity. And it's stood the test of time, because Disturbed would go on to "oh-wah-ah-ah" their way to being one of metals most beloved bands.

Unfortunately, none of that was really all too evident in their debut release, as 'The Sickness', despite a few standout tracks, really suffers from the same mediocrity that a lot of groups suffered from back then. Sure, there's a few hits in here, 'Voices' is an absolute classic, and 'The Game', 'Fear', 'Meaning of Life' and the aforementioned 'Down With the Sickness' are all valid reasons for owning this record and really highlight the significance of Draiman's vocals. But then sadly, a lot of the other tracks just seem to be there to fill time, with special mention going to 'Conflict'... a song in which the word "enemy" (pronounced "en-na-may") is sung a staggering 52 times! Please, no more!

Overall 'The Sickness' is not a terrible record, it's just not really all that memorable either. Well produced and accompanied by a couple of hit singles, it did what it was meant to do and helped put Disturbed on the map.

"Oh wah-ah-ah-ah".
on 11 January 2001
Why are you still reading this when you should be buying this album. to put it simply, this is one of the best albums that i have ever heard and one of the great albums of 2000. Any self-respecting metal fan should already be familiar with diturbed, and if your not, what are you waiting for?....All of the songs on this album kick ass- not one duff track. also, its worth bying just to hear thier cover of shout.....inspired!!!!
on 11 September 2013
Having enjoyed some of Disturbeds songs in the past I thought I would check out some of the their past releases and what better way then to start with their debut album. According to Wikipidia: The Sickness has been certified 4x Platinum by the RIAA, with around 4,248,000 copies sold in the United States alone as of 2011, making it the band's most successful album.

I enjoyed listening to the album and thought that most of the songs were OK. None of the tracks particulary stood out for this listener although I like 'Down with the sickness' (a Nu Metal classic) the call to arms of 'Conflict' and I rather enjoyed the Tears for Fears cover of 'Shout'. I also couldnt help but smile when lisening to the album closer 'Meaning of Life' with its ironic musings on its fans. I quite like David Draimans vocals (he does sound a bit disturbed and sick) and you can tell that Dan Donegan is an accomplished guitar player.

A fairly good debut album, a band I could take or leave I think, the album left me feeling indifferent, might check out some more of their back cataologue. I think someone who likes most metal would find this listenable.
on 16 February 2001
Aw, I love Disturbed!! Every song on this record is fantastic, it is heavy yet melodic, aggressive and angst-ridden yet still something you can sing along to with tremendous glee, and jump about and dance and be happy....every time I hear it it puts a smile on my face...probably my favourite album of all time past and present. Er...buy it, and stuff...!