Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2014
Funny, wry observations on family life with young children, awkward social moments, and navigating social niceties in the workplace. Mr. Conmy brilliantly catalogues those moments when that voice in our head gives us bad advice and leaves us wanting the world to swallow us whole at that very moment. They are his experiences, but we all laugh out loud because anyone who has been left crimson after a social faux pas or an innocent, but terribly direct question from a child can relate.

I am looking forward to his next instalment as his children begin school, he hits his next “significant birthday” and more people who put the ‘strange’ into stranger sit next to him on his train journeys in to London….
on 8 April 2014
Funny just doesn't cut it. This book is hysterical. It's also heartwarming, heartwrenching and poignant in places. If you're a fan of Bill Bryson, you'll love James Conmy.
on 14 April 2014
James Conmy has a wonderful take on the world; at the same time witty, tender and sharp. His stories are delicious, they make you nod and grin as you read them, in recognition and delight. I've been following his work for a few years online, it totally deserves a book and it's a thrill to find he's published one. His inimitable conversations with his brain are deceptively anecdotal; with a feather-light touch and huge wit he illuminates all our everyday skirmishes with life, love and other people. Mostly love. Reading Conmy is a total delight and leaves you wanting to write yourself.
on 14 April 2014
This book is an absolute must read! I have many a time had to put this back in my bag on the train as I've made myself look a fool laughing out loud!! Fantastic genuine,funny book written by a very nice chap indeed! Well Done James..get on with book no 2 now please
on 10 April 2014
Great read, lots of laugh out loud moments, I would highly recommend to everyone! Well done jimbob can't wait for more
on 15 April 2014
Possibly THE funniest book I've ever read. I've had the joy of reading James' stories on Facebook, and this is a fabulous collection, with many I've not read before. It's very, very rarely that a book makes me laugh out loud, and I've done it such a lot with this book that my partner has made me read vast chunks of it out loud to him.
A tale of a father of young children and husband of a long suffering wife (Toblerone toast rack, anybody?!), James sees the absurd in the world, gets himself into ridiculous situations and damn it's hilarious!
Buy it. You will laugh your (IRA puppet) socks off!
on 28 September 2014
If you're someone who is easily embarrassed, I'd recommend you don't read this on a train, plane, bus or indeed in any public place. This book elicited a steady stream of snorts, giggles and outright guffaws, and many an "oh god yes, I'm so glad it's not just me!" Insightful, funny, wistful and yet down to earth, it's a joy to read. The only downside was that many of his hilarious anecdotes seemed all too short, where I was hoping for further detail or was left wondering what happened next. But like all good artists, James has left his audience on a high, wanting more.
on 20 May 2014
James Conmy walks us through the misadventures of ordinary life as if our internal monologue was a dialogue, and one party in that conversation was too clever by half.

Awkward circumstances are drawn out of just about every social situation, and every interaction with the modern world is the basis for the sort of wry comedy we all wish we'd come up with, normally about half an hour after the event.

I would advise against reading the book on the bus or the train, unless you want complete strangers to wonder why you are laughing at a Kindle.
on 7 December 2016
A good read although a little annoying at times. I generally enjoyed the humour and discovered Conmy when coming across an article of his at one point. I think in smaller doses he is great but as a full book it can drag a little especially some of his views when it comes to women. Saying that, as a woman, I also know when to not take offence and know that this is just humour in which case it did make me chuckle at different points. Would read something of his again and I enjoyed the book but not my favourite.
on 8 April 2014
Laugh till it hurts... laugh till you cry... this book will make you do both! Genius book, extremely well written. Highly recommended!