Format: HD DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 June 2007
I enjoyed "Shrek" and "Shrek 2" , both of which I thought were well animated and funny, but I'm afraid that "Shrek the Third" is a bit of a let down. Typical sequel syndrome has set in with old jokes being rehashed and storylines becoming weaker. The clever wit of the first two movies has gone and there is a strong sense of going through the motions about the film. On the plus side the animation is as good as ever and there is a remarkable list of well known actors providing the voices. "Shrek the Third" will no doubt please small children and less discerning viewers and will rake in millions at the box office, raising the prospect of "Shrek 4" ,but I for one would hope that this film is "Shrek the Last"
Shrek (Mike Myers) and Fiona (Cameron Diaz) are still in Far Far Away. Fiona's father, King Harold the frog (John Cleese), is dying, and the two are filling in for him at state functions. Shrek's really trying to handle things correctly, but he always makes a mess of things.

Unfotunately, King Harold croaks. But before he does, he tells Shrek that Fiona isn't the only heir to the throne. She has a distant cousin, Arthur (Justin Timberlake), who could become king. Since Shrek wants to return to the swamp and give up life in the palace, he sets off with his faithful friends Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Puss In Boots (Antonio Banderas) to find the heir.

Meanwhile, Prince Charming (Rupert Everett) has been reduced to acting in bad dinner theater. After one especially bad performance, he decides to take what he feels is rightfully his. So he enlists the aid of every fairy tale villain he can find. This time, they are going to get their happily ever after. Will his plan succeed? Can Shrek find Arthur?

Like the first two, Shrek the Third is a funny film. There is still plenty of the bathroom humor that was present in the first two, but the double meanings and suggestion jokes seemed to be gone. Frankly, I was thankful for this. Yet there was still plenty of satire for the adults to laugh at. In fact, I think I heard more adults laughing then kids in the packed theater when I first saw it.

All the previous main and minor characters are back, plus a plethora of new friends. We've got King Arthur and assorted other Arthurian characters for starters. Plus Fiona is visited by Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Rapunzel. And having Prince Charming team up with the other villains was brilliant. Frankly, this is the film HAPPILY N'EVER AFTER wished it could be. Yet the story is still fast moving with a good moral. Yes, we're still talking about self-acceptance, but they find a fresh take on it that ties in with the first two.

A word of warning about the death scene. It is long and drawn out. While played for laughs (and it is pretty funny), it might be too much for some kids. Granted, it is a frog, but it also is Fiona's father. Every child is different, so you know best how your will react. But consider that before they watch.

I've spent most of the review praising the film. I really did enjoy it. But I did feel it wasn't as funny as the first two. While there were still plenty of laughs and satire, some of the bite was gone. It's good, but it doesn't live up to the other two. And, with all the characters, some got short changed. For example, Julie Andrew's queen has plenty of screen time, but she hardly has any lines.

In the end, this is another fun animated comedy that the entire family will enjoy.
on 30 December 2007
I know I'm contradicting my own review heading but I couldn't help to comment on the two reviews here, both of which have absolutely nothing to do with the movie content and have everything to do with the fact that they couldn't read to or even notice that this is an HD DVD. Seriously you want to place blame on Amazon because you simply have no common sense? :-|
on 7 October 2011
We had previously seen the film when it came out at the cinema, and in my opinion, the whole film seemed rather weak compared to the other two films, which had really stong storylines.

After all, what do you do when you can't think of a good idea for a sequel? Erm....How about the two main characters have kids? Disney did it with their straight to video sequels, and it didn't hurt them one bit.

So, to the plot. For anyone not familiar with the story of Shrek, he is an ogre who married a princess called Fiona, who became an ogre herself. Following their previous adventures, Shrek the Third finds them living in Fiona's Parents' Castle in the Kingdom of Far Far Away. Shrek had wanted to return to his beloved swamp, but as the King suddenly takes very ill, Shrek and Fiona have to step in to perform royal duties. Eventually, the king dies, and Shrek and Fiona will be the new rulers of Far Far Away. This does not suit Shrek one bit, as royal life is too much for him to handle. The only other possible heir to the throne is Fiona's cousin Artie (King Arthur). Shrek and his friends Puss in Boots and Donkey go off to find Artie and convince him to take his place as king.

Meanwhile, with the kingdom undefended, the evil Prince Charming sees the perfect chance to take the castle by force and become ruler of the Kingdom. It is up to the Queen, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel, as well as pregnant Fiona to fight and defend the castle from Prince Charming and the faiytale villains.

The film has some funny moments, like when Pinocchio is trying to lie to the villains without making his nose grow, but overall, the movie is quite short on laughs and plot. Some of the funniest scenes in the movie are at the end with the baby ogres, when you see how their parents take care of them. There isn't as much action in the film as I would have liked, and too much soppy sentimentality and inward reflection. Kids find too much of that boring.

Visually, the film is faultless, with amazing animation that you would expect from Dreamworks. They are churning out a fourth and supposedly final instalment of the series in June of this year, but I worry that the whole thing has run out of steam.

The DVD is a U rating. As well as the movie, it has some special features such as:

Arties Yearbook
Shrek's guide to parenthood
Lost Scenes
Shmash ups
Merlins magic crystal ball
Tournament games.

There is also additional content that can be accessed if you put the disc in a computer.

The film has a running time of 89 minutes.

The voice cast is truly A list, with Mike Myers as Shrek, Cameron Diaz as Fiona, Eddie Murphy as Donkey and Antonio Banderas as Puss. Artie is voiced by Justin Timberlake.
on 24 January 2012
So you are wondering, is it worth getting Shrek 3 in 3D?

The answer is yes, despite the fact this is actually a conversion rather than a re-render, it is the best conversion you will ever see, in effect it looks like it was natively shot in 3D. It's a totally different experience watching this film in 3D, whilst the weakest Shrek of the series just about, the 3D kicks it up a notch as this CG world is brought to life. It's not a cheap disc, but if you have doubts about the quality of the conversion, fear not, it's absolutely top notch.
on 4 October 2007
I must admit that the first two Shreks are leagues apart from the third installment. However, I think it is harsh that its altogether rubbish.... hmmm well actually now I think about it maybe I'm blinded by bias and loyalty - it had few jokes (well funny ones anyway), there was nothing original or creative in terms of plot and it added very little to the overall story. Actually, it was a very poor installment by Shreks own standards which it set with the first two films. I didnt feel it was a waste of money to see it (thats a bit extreme) but I wouldn't watch it twice. It is always dangerous to release a second film, let alone a third but this time I think they will narrowly get away with it and should now leave the series well alone or run the risk of completely destroying its strong reputation. If they decide to bring out a fourth (to really milk the franchise) then they will need to seriously assess where the series will go and maybe freshen up the writing team a little. I did enjoy it, I would buy it if cheap but I think kids are likely to get more out of it than me.
on 3 July 2007
Maybe I was watching another movie with my kids last weekend at the Cinema?

I found Shrek 3 to be lacking in every respect and I agree with the reviewer who commented that those involved were going through the motions. 1 and 2 were wonderful, but with this movie, it was as though they had taken all the good elements of 1 and 2 and all the comic timing and locked them away in a box! It was simply too slow going and many of the jokes just fell flat.

This wasn't just me - there was a palpable inward groan for at least the first half of the movie from all who were watching.

Mike Myers, can I have my £21 back please?!
on 8 December 2007
I loved the 1st film, enjoyed the 2nd and really hated the 3rd. Arthur was annoying (don't get me started on Merlin) and the plot was so lame it should be shot. They should have stayed with 2 films instead of trying to milk every last penny they could.
on 13 November 2013
I HAVE JUST COME ACROSS REVIEWS FOR THIS---AND I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY SO MANY THINK SO LITTLE OF IT.I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT.I ENJOYED THE ' MAGICIAN MIS-SPELL' AND I THOUGHT THE RESULT OF THAT WAS FUNNY.ANOTHER ASPECT OF 'THE CHANGE' WAS TO PROVE TO ME,THAT,PUSS SUITS DEFINITELY BEING OF SPANISH DECENT!!AND DOESNT SUIT COMING FROM?NEW YORK!!I LIKE ALL OF THE SHREK MOVIES --NOW I WILL SEE WHAT REVIEWS FOR SHREK4 READ LIKE.I WOULD ADVISE ANYONE TO GIVE IT A GO .[LITTLE LATE I KNOW,BUT BETTER LATE THAN NEVER,AS THEY SAY].
on 12 September 2007
The first shrek is a classic, the second was an excellent sequel if suffering from being a sequel. This one was completely wasted, the gags fail, either because they are bad gags to start with or poor line delivery and direction. The whole thing is a poor cash in on two good movies. I really wanted to like this. shame.