Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Should I read it, ive seen the films, Is it worth it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Aug 2009, 22:49:55 BST
Heyy!
I have seen all of the Lord Of The Rings Films, and loved them!! I really enjoy reading, but I was wondering if it is worth reading the books if I have already seen the films?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2009, 15:54:04 BST
S. Partridge says:
I depends how much spare time you have! I personally think the books are better than the films because there are some important events which are missed out in the film, but they are rather long.

Posted on 25 Oct 2009, 20:47:52 GMT
Dannyl Raif says:
Very long. If you hadn't seen the films I'd say definately read them though because they are brilliant. I grew up on them and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. Now though, i can't get back into them and there are faster, more engaging books out there.
Thry Scott Lynch "Lies of Locke Lamora", Joe Abercrombie "First Law" or any Drenai books by David Gemmell instead (Waylander and Druss books are my personal favourites but "Quest for Lost Heroes" is an excellent stand alone)

Posted on 4 Jan 2010, 17:15:40 GMT
Wheldrake says:
Definitely. The books are far richer in the history and detail of Middle Earth, good as the films are. Depends if you have the stomach for a very long story.

Posted on 23 Sep 2010, 20:39:50 BST
K. Hynes says:
Lord of the Rings is a classic. I loved how the books were portrayed in the films, but you can't beat original Tolkien. READ THE BOOKS, you won't regret it.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2010, 20:33:31 BST
Last edited by the author on 1 Oct 2010, 23:19:11 BST
I would definitely read them. I saw the first film before reading any of the books and it inspired me to read the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy before the release of the Two Towers. It was well worth the time and effort. The films were fantastic, but the books are so much more; they will add depth to the films and you will see Middle Earth from a different perpective. Enough from me; get reading!

Posted on 7 Oct 2010, 19:27:53 BST
Daniel Kelly says:
honestly, i have never read them either, though the children of hurin and The Silmarillion are among the best books i have ever read, having the same problem with the trilogy though since i have seen the films but i think the silmariooions would give you all the background on middle earth you would need and the children of hurin expand areas not shown in the trilogy. just my opinion.

Posted on 7 Apr 2012, 19:49:37 BST
No! Life is too short.

Among the most over rated books ever.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012, 13:16:27 BST
S. Long says:
BUT its still the second best selling novel of all time, only beaten by Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities (which has been around 100 yrs longer) so thankfully you are in the minority with your opinion. The Lord of the Rings is hard to read, there are easier,(and if you prefer easier,therefore more enjoyable) and better written novels out there. BUT its a true classic, full of great characters, amazing descriptions (especially landscapes/places) exciting battles and adventure and the detail of the world is 2nd to none. Each to their own but it will always be Number 1 for me.

Posted on 30 Dec 2012, 13:24:19 GMT
wildwolf says:
Yes - go read them! Then you will want to watch the films all over again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  28 Aug 2009
Latest post:  30 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set]
The Lord of the Rings [7 Book Box set] by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 3 Sept. 2001)
4.7 out of 5 stars (5,113)