Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit
Customer Discussions > The Boleyn Inheritance forum

Should P. Gregory go back to writing pure fiction?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2007, 16:50:07 GMT
Lizzie says:
Whilst enjoying 'The Boleyn Inheritance' and TOBG etc. does anyone else feel that Philippa Gregory should go back to writing pure fiction using original story lines and fictional characters?

I know her research is extensive and her Tudor novels well written, but at the end of the day no matter how much poetic license she takes not even Philippa can change history's outcome.

I would like to see her go back to writing historical novels like the genius of the 'Wideacre' trilogy. For me it was there her true talent shone through.

I have heard her next book is about Mary Queen of Scots. Yet again, she doesn't have to think up a plot!

Any comments?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2008, 15:44:14 GMT
Kay Leslie says:
Personally, I hate her Wideacre books! The protaganist was so heartless, it completely destroyed the books. I enjoy her other books because it is so easy to immerse yourself in them.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2008, 20:00:05 BST
Sobriquet says:
I agree, knowing the ultimate conclusion takes away the suspence of the book. I think it was that in the Boleyn girl she made us care about the characters that it was ok that we know the fate of Anne (and also Mary was not very well known). This success is repeated in a couple of her other tudor books, but not in the latest ones. The constant Princess felt unnatural in the first person, and i couldn't get into it.

I loved widlacre (i haven't got round to reading the sequals), and the one set post ww1. She should go back to her own plot but set them back a bit (giving tudor a rest though).

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2008, 14:55:19 BST
[Deleted by the author on 5 Sep 2008, 14:55:40 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2008, 14:58:02 BST
Ms. Gregory is a competent storyteller, and though her research is possibly extensive, she tends to mangle facts to fit her plots (For example, Mary was the older of the Boleyn sisters.) Can't say I agree with many of her points, as I am a history buff, and like my facts straight. Regarding the 'Wideacre' series -- the protagonist was a complete obsessive (and today would be in therapy) but the pyschological deterioration of her and ultimately her family was well-drawn.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2008, 23:23:32 GMT
Alison Weir says:
I should like to see Philippa Gregory focussing on modern novels, such as The Little House and Zelda`s Cut, which I loved. I could say a lot about her Tudor novels, but will refrain from doing so.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2009, 14:39:31 GMT
Lizzie says:
Are you the Alison Weir who wrote 'Innocent Traitor'? If so, I loved it. You kept to the facts yet still wove a wonderful tale.

Posted on 23 Jul 2009, 14:17:35 BST
Last edited by the author on 23 Jul 2009, 15:55:32 BST
I haven't read any of Gregory's books (because of content) but is it no possible for her to write historical ficiton and still make up her own plot. For example she could make up about the life of a character who lived in histroy like a maid in the Tudor Court or the story of a girl making a journey to the New World. That way, it would be more of her own story, still reference real figures in history and not have to worry quite so much about beign historically correct about a person's life.

Also, if you are the Alison Weir who wrote 'Innocent Traitor' would you say that the content is suitable for a 12 year old girl? Or anyone else who has read it.
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2009, 22:41:31 BST
Lizzie says:
To C C Higgins,

First of all I agree that a novel could be written with a complete fictional character but placed among real people. There are many books like these around, and Gregory's 'The Queen's Fool' does just that. I enjoy books like that.

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir is an excellent book, but I read it a little while ago. Is it suitable for a 12 year old? Hard to say these days. The descriptions of the execution are very well drawn so I don't know if a child of that age would be upset by it. There is also a bit of sex, but nowhere near the same quantity that Gregory likes to put in her novels. Depends on the child really, but just bear in mind it is written for adults.

Hope this helps.

D xx
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  18 Nov 2007
Latest post:  11 Aug 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
The Boleyn Inheritance
The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (Hardcover - 28 Aug. 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars (424)