A Short History of the British Industrial Revolution Paperback – 22 Nov 2010
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'The volume has a clear focus and, didactic in tone, it incorporates much recent research. Griffin's survey of technological change is detailed and critical, particularly her questioning of the force of new technologies, especially steam power, in fuelling eceonomic growth.'- Economic History Review
'The strength of Griffin's book lies in its fresh conceptual approach and well-focused, analytical structure that bridges the major disagreements among scholars on the topic...an excellent book'. - Gerard Koot, Chancellor Professor of History, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, USA
'...a particularly welcome account, not least because it asks the question of why Britain came first.' - Jeremy Black, BBC History Magazine
A succinct introduction to this pivotal moment in world history, explaining what the industrial revolution was, when exactly it occurred, and why it happened in Britain firstSee all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Each week a chapter of this book would be set for pre-seminar reading and it was accessible enough for me to really grasp the debates we would discuss in class.
In addition to this, it was a great little book to reference in my essays and the like as it summarises much of the events and details of the period.
As I've said, I'm not largely interested in the Industrial Revolution, but I feel that my interest would be lower still were it not for this book. And besides, it helped me get an A grade in the mentioned module.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I wouldn't suggest this for readers who don't enjoy and overwhelming amount of statistics and numbers crammed into a small area. This book isn't made for an average read, it's made to get you up-to-speed with the historical event rather rapidly. If you enjoy all those aforementioned items then this is your book.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Industrial Revolution
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 16th-18th Centuries
- Books > History > Political History
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Industrialisation
- Books > Science & Nature > History & Philosophy > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media & Communication Industries > Press & Journalism