on 3 March 2017
I have little to compare these too, except the Brompton pedals they have replaced, and the Look pedals that I used over 25 years ago.

Compared to the Brompton pedals, these are heavier, as the outers are not aluminium, so if you're trying to save weight, you are not going to. Also, you will lose the ability to fold the left pedal. However, the efficiencies totally outweigh this feature for someone that doesn't take his bike on the tube/train very often.

However, compared to my memory of the Look pedals that I had all those years ago, is that they're a little more difficult to get your foot out, and don't necessarily provide quite the same efficiency. But they do let you use them without having cleated shoes, without difficulty.

For commuting, these pedals are ideal. I went for some Giro shoes with a recess for the cleats, rather than a full road shoe, so both sides of this pedal work well. Riding without cleated shoes, it tends to be a 50-50 chance that when I stick my food on the pedal, I'll get the SPD side, but when riding with cleated shoes, I tend to take my foot off the left pedal near the ground, and the SPD side tends to stay up so that I can quickly click back in.

It's only been a week with them, but so far, I'm pretty happy. Maybe I've ruined my Brompton a bit, but with cleated shoes, everything is more efficient, even with the extra weight. In traffic, is easy to unclip, and use the other side of the pedal instead. Maybe not quite the same as I remember the Look pedals, but I'm happy all the same.

Update: They're not necessarily the best quality. After about 1000km or so, already getting a little clicky. Also, for longer rides, I'd probably go with larger cleats, like Look or SPD-SL that spread the pressure out a little more. But as a commuter pedal that gives you the option of not using cleated shoes, I'm still pretty happy with them, although annoyed with the clicking.
on 2 October 2014
I have had 3 pairs of these and one pair of the similar 323 pedals.I cycle roughly 200 miles a week and typically find these pedals last me about 5 years which is brilliant.What's even better is they are much cheaper now than the first pair I bought which were £60.00 and they also came with cleats worth £15.00 meaning these came in at under £9.00 what a bargain.I think I'll stockpile a few spare pairs.
on 3 June 2017
Fantastic, highly recommended
on 18 September 2013
Bought these pedals for a cycle tour in the Vendee in France. Perfect for days between locations using clips and for use with casual shoes to potter around on other days.
on 15 June 2017
As described. Good quality Shimano product. Works well for me as wanted option of clip in or normal. Good service by supplier.
on 23 February 2012
You can't go wrong with these pedals, the best of both worlds.. cleats or no cleats. This is my third set, I now have a set on each of my bikes (a Ridgeback Panorama World touring bike, a Scott SUB 30 hybrid and a SCOTT Speedster S30 road bike).

Well made, and more convenient that a double sided SPD cleated pedal. They might seem a bit expensive from the photographs, but when you see them 'in the flesh' you can tell the quality, well made and yet still not over heavy.

All in all, I wouldn't buy these pedals on 3 separate occasions, if I didn't like them now would I ? - that should speak for itself. So... in summary, don't let the price put you off (they are even more expensive outside Amazon), if you intend using (or are already using) cleated shoes, then put these on your shortlist and after comparing with other cleated pedals, spend just under forty quid and buy with confidence...
on 1 August 2012
In a multi-bike, multi-user, multi-purpose household, these pedals allow casual and more serious biking without time spent fiddling around swapping pedals. The flat side is fine for casual runs to the shops while the clip side helps on longer rides when you have your bike shoes on. I have an MTB with the double-sided plastic clips, and these metal ones are SO much better.

Obviously, only one side has the clip, so if you are constantly on and off the bike but trying to clip in, this will be frustrating. But I don't see that as an issue.

If this is your first set of clip-ins, back off the tension to nothing, then tighten three "clicks" put on your special SPD shoes and find a spot where you can lean against something (a picnic table is handy) then clip each foot in and out at least 50 times. That's right, 50 times. 100 times would be better. If you just get on and ride with these, chances are good you will fall over!
22 Comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 August 2012
I do a mixture of town, country roads and towpath riding; these pedals are great for stop/start riding in heavy traffic as you have the choice to use the non-clip side which means that an unexpected stop won't catch you out. They're also ideal as you can comfortably ride in normal trainers if e.g. you're just popping out to the shop and don't want to don all the gear. Actually clipping in is a breeze once you have sorted the tension adjuster to a mid-range level. I'm not going to drone on about the merits of riding when clipped in, as you've no doubt heard it all before.

Concentrating on the pedals themselves, the build quality is excellent; this is my second pair, I've used the originals on my other bike for over a year in all kinds of weather conditions, they've survived numerous knocks and general rough handling with no sign of any problems.

If you're considering buying your first pair of clip in pedals, but don't want to commit to full-time clipped in cycling, look no further; these will do the job very nicely.

Thoroughly recommended,
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 September 2016
Very handy! Perfect for clipping in for 2+ hours on the commute and equally good with flip-flops on the 5 min pop to the shops! Exactly what I needed! Very well made, nice and solid.
on 5 November 2011
For those of you who don't know; clipless pedals are a system that allows you to join a special cycling shoe to the pedal so that your feet are securely attached to the pedal. They attach your foot so that you press down with the ball of your foot, which will feel different if like me you cycle with "incorrect" method of using the middle of your foot on flats(term for normal type of pedal). Despite the name 'clipless' you do actually clip the sole of your shoe into the pedal but they are called clipless as they differ from cycling straps that would enclose your shoe. The actual benefit of clipless pedals varies depending on the person and how you intend to use them. I am sure there are a large number of web pages debating this topic but the best way to make a decision is probably to try them yourself.

I use my bike mainly for cycling short journeys so I wanted a flat pedal for using my normal shoes. I choose these over the variety that have the clipless SPD system surrounded by a platform as I wanted a good flat pedal in its own right rather than a compromise and was worried that the clipless socket would protrude and dig into the soles of my feet.

The first time using the flat side my feet instantly felt more secure on them than the black plastic ones that were included in my bike. Then the main drawback of using one sided pedals occurred as soon as I reached some traffic lights. While one foot would remain on one pedal ready to push down, by the time I has launched and put the other foot onto second pedal I would find it more often than not I was pressing down on the SPD and had to try and flick the pedal with my toes to get it to turn around. This was frustrating for a while but once you learn how to avoid this you can get the right side in seconds:
With my bike at least the key thing to notice was that the pedal will always tend to have the same side pointing towards or away from the centre of the cranks (where the pedals rotate around). So when I stopped at traffic lights with the flats side at the bottom of a rotation so pointing up and towards the centre of the cranks, by the time I had pushed down on the other pedal the flat side had rotated 180 degrees and now faced downwards towards the centre of the cranks. So if you shoe is on the wrong side of the pedal just push it down to the bottom and take your foot off and allow it to go back up on its own and by the top it should be the correct way up.

Sorry If that didn't make sense, two (fairground based!) analogies are that without being touched the pedal will behave like a cart going through loop on a rollercoaster always parallel to the track rather than a Ferris wheel where the carts are always the same way up. This is how it works on my bike but this could change if the joints were oiled differently, but either way it shouldn't be too hard to find a method that works for you.

Now I bought these pedals to use the clipless system for the occasional long ride. The pedals use the Shimano SPD system and you are able to adjust the pressure you need to apply to twist your foot in or out with a 3mm Allen key. I would recommend you start on the looser settings then get tighter as you become more confident. I use clipless in central London which is probably one or the worst places to use them with all the traffic lights, but if you really like the feeling of riding clipless this shouldn't be a problem, even here. I found the main advantage to clipless to be climbing hills and better acceleration.

When buying these pedals you need to decide whether the inconvenience of only being to use one side at a time it still better than changing the pedals to pure clipless or flats each time. If you have never used clipless before then try to use them before buying all the clipless gear. Once you have decided you want half and half pedals these are the best you can get.
33 Comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse