Size: n/a|Change
Price:£29.99+ Free shipping

on 6 October 2010
I bought these MTB pedals back in 2007 and 2010/11 versions are exactly the same. This isn't laziness on the part of Shimano though, it's more a case of don't fix what isn't broken.

First off if you are a newbie these are clipless pedals - advanced riders skip this para. i.e.the system doesn't use toe clips. Instead a metal cleat bolts to that bottom of your cycling shoes (check compatibility of shoes first) and is 'clipped in' to the metal spring mechanism on the pedal. This is a learning curve of adjusting the spring tension so you can upclip quickly when you need to footdown. There will be Delboy 'Only Fools and Horses' falling over moments which seem to happen in slow motion, so I recommend doing this bit on a flat park where you see you are not falling on rocks/broken glass etc. Shimano calls this system SPD and the benefits are improved pedalling efficiency, a more secure purchase on the pedals which means your feet don't slip of the pedals even in the wet and proper foot alignment which can reduce likelihood of injury.

By comparison to other more expensive clipless pedals the main difference is that the M424 cleat entry system looks much larger and more robust than the more expensive SPD pedals like XT,XTR and indeed competitors like Crank Brothers Candy pedals. There is a slight weight penalty for this but unless you are a weight weenie coming from full carbon TT bikes you won't notice it.

Performance wise these pedals are excellent. The bearings spin smoothly and freely meaning all your energy goes straight to the chain drive and in practice despite the size of the mechanism the pedals collect very little muck even on the muddiest of rides. The replaceable acrylic cage/platform (never needed replacing in 3.75 years of abuse) also provides a stable platform should you need to unclip and ride on the platforms. This also makes the pedals very handy if you just want to go down to the shops on your bike and don't want the faff of getting changed and putting cycling shoes on because in normal shoes the mechanism is pushed out of the way so you can just ride on the platform.

When you have the spring tension set to your liking (an easy process) clipping in and out of he M424 becomes second nature and you will wonder how you ever got on without them.

Cleaning is easy as they stay pretty clean anyway and occasionally a bit of lube around the seals and springs keeps water out and the mechanism working smoothly.

There is a more expensive version of this pedal (M545) with an aluminium cage but I don't see the point when the M424 is so good.

If you don't need the cage look at the Shimano 520 pedals I have them on my road bike so I can use the same cycling shoes and they are very similar mechanically and in practice.

I would score these 4/5 for performance and 5/5 for value.
on 24 February 2013
First of all I am by no means a keen/club cyclist but merely a commutor, so don't regard myself an expert on this sort of equipment. This is the first time I have used clipless pedals and cleats. I found them easy to fit to my bike and set them up on their slackest setting (so I could easily unclip being a novice). Clipping in takes a bit of getting used to but within a few days I can now do it without having to look down, easy to disengage and even on the slackest setting don't come unclipped unintentionally. Went for these particular pedals as they have a nice flat platform that means you don't have to put cycling shoes on if just nipping down the road to the shops. Overall very pleased and they suit my needs perfectly at a reasonable price.
on 15 November 2015
Although these are for mountain bikes, I use these on my road bike as I use the same shoes with the SPD fitting in my spin class.

Easily adjusted to the right level of tension and easy to clip in and out.

The reason I've only given 4 stars is that these are touted as being able to use without cycling shoes and just cycle on the outer pedal. However I would advise against this as it's quite uncomfortable.
on 26 March 2015
I have always used shimano spd pedals but thought I'd try this type with a bit of platform for trail riding when it's usual to dab a foot quickly now and then in technical sections. The platform on these makes it easier as you don't need to be as exact when placing your foot back on the pedal. These have a plastic rather than metal platform cage but still seem sturdy enough for 20 quid. Would certainly recommend. Especially at the price.
on 16 May 2013
This my second set (for my other MTB) and I have to say these pedals are astounding value considering how well they perform. Shimano quality is apparent as soon as you open the box and they come with loads of literature for the newbies as well as set of cleats for your shoes. Big wide platform gives you loads of confidence and is handy for the odd ride in normal shoes.
on 30 January 2016
Pretty good pedal. Beat to use correct shoes though as the mechanism does protrude. Having said that, I have used normal trainers plenty of times and it's alright once you get uses to it (thick soles recommended).
on 14 May 2012
These went onto my new bike and then were taken straight back off again! I bought them as I liked the idea of having a bit of a platform around the spd clip, so that you could ride with or without cleats. However, even with the tension reduced to its slackest setting it required a major effort to unclip from the pedals, so much so that the first time that I used them I came off as I slowed to a stop as the effort to release was so distracting. My spd pedals on my older bike (different manufacturer) did not require the excessive twisting and pulling that these did.
I have since bought some Shimano PD-M530 SPD Trail Pedalss after reading a rave review on Bike Radar, which clip/unclip really easily and with mininum effort - buy these instead if you want a decent spd pedal that's reasonably priced!
on 13 January 2014
I was looking for those pedals and they work exactly as I spected, and even better for the price that I paid for them.

I received them in a buble envelope but they where completly new and with every set up guide and waranty document too.

Totally recomendable.
on 17 October 2010
The SPDs work fine, but with normal shoes the SPD sits to high and the surrounding cage is barely touched. If you want the best of both, go for a splt SPD/Flat pedal.
on 7 June 2014
These SDP's are very good for begginers or intermeadiates easy to fit easy to adjust work well for me have had no problems but have seen some negative comments. They are for me good quality good price and work well on my mountain bike.