Customer reviews

Shimano LVR Altus Ef51 7S Pair STI - Black
Size: N/A|Colour: Black|Change
Price:£26.42+ Free shipping

on 17 January 2013
When both the Shimano 200GS gear pods finally fell apart at more or less the same time (!) after 25 years attached to a Claud Butler from the 80's, I deemed that this was the perfect replacement. I spent a long time looking for a cheap as possible fix and unless you want to keep the original looks of such a bike I believe this is a no-brainer. This gear and brake lever combo also allowed for an economic brake lever upgrade. My research of late concluded that Amazon had the best price.

So I received ST-EF50-L and ST-EF50-7 from Amazon, which is the V-brake two finger 3/7 speed version. Although the Claud Butler has cantilever brakes, this product works just fine with them, and allows for an upgrade to V-brakes in the future. However I've just learnt that there is an ST-EF50-4A version designed for four finger cantilevers according to Shimano...

After fitting these the gear shifting was much better than before and a very smooth operation was achieved for both front and rear brakes and gears. I suspect this was due mainly to a combination of the new parts not being full of gunk and the terrible state of the 25 year old cables that were replaced thanks to this kit.

The kit includes two all-in-one shifter and brake lever mechanisms (3 speed on the left, 7 speed on the right), gear cable and brake cable outers, and just enough nice shiny metal nipple type parts required to do a good job. The nipples prevent damage to the cable outers and protect the cables from fraying over time.

A surprising and nice touch was that the cable outers had a load of what appeared to be silicone grease in them already (which splurged out the ends when threading the cables through), meaning this really was a lazy mans kit!

I didn't find any instructions in the box but to be honest I didn't look for them (being a bloke) so they may have just been thrown away immediately. There are instructions online though of course if one gets stuck. I'm sure anyone who doesn't mind getting dirt under their fingernails once in a while could install these. Just don't cut the cables to length until you're sure that no more adjustments are necessary (you can coil the ends up and test ride the bike first). I didn't even have to loosen or remove the handlebars or stem. Getting the handlebar grips off is the hardest part in my opinion!

I suggest having a look at techdocs dot shimano dot com.

Tools I required: Set of bike Allen keys, a good pair of wire cutters, spanner for the brakes and mechs, pliers, a bit of rag, a cup of tea.

For even smoother gear shifting and better general drivetrain performance I decided to replace the rear mech with a new Shimano Alivio 6/7/8 speed one and also get a new chain and cassette. The whole repair/upgrade was a pleasantly low cost and the bike is great to ride again thanks primarily to this Shimano STI Altus 7SPD Pair.

Overall a very good value and surprisingly high quality piece of kit that works very well and was much easier to install than I expected.
on 3 May 2013
I've bought two sets of these, for two different bikes, but as the title says I have mixed feelings. On the positive side:

- When they're working, they work extremely well, and they're a welcome replacement for the separate brakes and grip shifts they replaced. They look good, too.
- They're easy to fit. To be honest, I threw away the instructions (two giant sheets of closely-typed instructions? Way too confusing!). If you need help, I'd recommend The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)

On the negative side:
- Within a month, one of the sets stopped working. The 7-gear adjustment would only go down (to 1), and then not up again. So the bike was stuck in 1st gear. I sent them back to Amazon, who replaced them. I fitted the replacement, and within 2 weeks the same thing had happened. It appears the ratchet action gets stuck, and won't allow the mechanism to switch up. The second time I thought I'd have a look inside, and gingerly slackened the main screw holding the mechanism together - as I did, I could feel the mechanism slackening off, and a ratchet on the underside clicked back into place. So I tightened it all up, and it all started working again. It's been another 2 weeks since I did that, so I've got my fingers crossed.

But, as I say, when they're working they're great.
on 5 August 2015
These work well and are easy to fit. There is a design fault I think though. I have had 2 sets which have both had the same problem. The cable in the right hand (rear) shifter tends to start to fray just at the exit point. Eventually it will break. Admittedly this is after 2000 miles of city cycling! Not sure if the constant bending and work hardening of the stainless steel strands is the issue.
on 31 January 2013
The gear shifters and brake levers are superb value; they are the 3 speed and 7 speed units (although picture shows an 8 speed version), they look and feel great and function very well indeed. Fitting was a breeze on a 15+ year old Raleigh Max Cromo II MTB, (the instructions provided looked pretty comprehensive but didn't need them). They came pre-fitted with gear cables so it was just a case of removing the old, fitting the new shifters to the handle bars and then routing the cables to the respective derailleur. End caps are provided to keep the cut cable ends tidy.

Packaging for shipping was very suitable and not the ususal huge cardboard box stuffed with packing materials. Dispatch and delivery was very prompt.

The product is great value and seller highly recommended.
on 6 June 2013
I chose the product as a replacement for the right hand lever on my wife's bicycle that just stopped working one day. The reviews were all favourable and stated that all cables etc were enclosed. The product arrived within a couple of days and opening the box I was pleased to see the lovely new shiny black levers and cables. Fitting was a cinch just cutting the cable housings to match those I was replacing. These are V Brake levers but work perfectly well with the Cantilever brake setup on the wife's bike. They work really well and look great.
on 23 April 2017
Prefect ... price and quality.
on 12 October 2013
Bought this to upgrade my daughters new bike that had cheap twist grip shifters & seperate plastic brake levers.
It was easy to fit & set up . I did fit a new rear cassette (7 speed from 6 speed). This kit is indexed so make sure your
front & rear deraileurs are also indexed, I had to change the front one as it was not. Once done everything worked a treat
on 19 August 2013
Shimano STI Altus 7SPD
What can i say
Switching from a twist grip to a leaver change,
GREAT
Easy to setup Easy to use
on 21 February 2015
fitted easy, what a difference it makes. great product and great delivery.
on 23 December 2012
Bought these and was unsure at the time but I'm well pleased the packaging was very good toothy are worth a lot more than 20quid