Other Sellers on Amazon
+ FREE UK delivery
Shimano LVR Altus Ef51 7S Pair STI
|Price:||£26.42 FREE UK delivery.|
- Great value easy to use 7-speed Acera EZ-fire mountain bike shifters with integrated V-brake lever
- Shift levers use ergonomic shaped triggers for easy accurate gear selection
- Optical gear display
- V-Brake compatible
- Barrel adjuster for fine gear tuning
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Great value easy to use 7-speed Acera EZ-fire mountain bike shifters with integrated V-brake lever Shift levers use ergonomic shaped triggers for easy accurate gear selection Optical gear display V-Brake compatible Barrel adjuster for fine gear tuning Complete with gear and brake cables
1 x STI LVR Altus EF51 7s pair SR
Top customer reviews
So I received ST-EF50-L and ST-EF50-7 from Amazon, which is the V-brake two finger 3/7 speed version. Although the Claud Butler has cantilever brakes, this product works just fine with them, and allows for an upgrade to V-brakes in the future. However I've just learnt that there is an ST-EF50-4A version designed for four finger cantilevers according to Shimano...
After fitting these the gear shifting was much better than before and a very smooth operation was achieved for both front and rear brakes and gears. I suspect this was due mainly to a combination of the new parts not being full of gunk and the terrible state of the 25 year old cables that were replaced thanks to this kit.
The kit includes two all-in-one shifter and brake lever mechanisms (3 speed on the left, 7 speed on the right), gear cable and brake cable outers, and just enough nice shiny metal nipple type parts required to do a good job. The nipples prevent damage to the cable outers and protect the cables from fraying over time.
A surprising and nice touch was that the cable outers had a load of what appeared to be silicone grease in them already (which splurged out the ends when threading the cables through), meaning this really was a lazy mans kit!
I didn't find any instructions in the box but to be honest I didn't look for them (being a bloke) so they may have just been thrown away immediately. There are instructions online though of course if one gets stuck. I'm sure anyone who doesn't mind getting dirt under their fingernails once in a while could install these. Just don't cut the cables to length until you're sure that no more adjustments are necessary (you can coil the ends up and test ride the bike first). I didn't even have to loosen or remove the handlebars or stem. Getting the handlebar grips off is the hardest part in my opinion!
I suggest having a look at techdocs dot shimano dot com.
Tools I required: Set of bike Allen keys, a good pair of wire cutters, spanner for the brakes and mechs, pliers, a bit of rag, a cup of tea.
For even smoother gear shifting and better general drivetrain performance I decided to replace the rear mech with a new Shimano Alivio 6/7/8 speed one and also get a new chain and cassette. The whole repair/upgrade was a pleasantly low cost and the bike is great to ride again thanks primarily to this Shimano STI Altus 7SPD Pair.
Overall a very good value and surprisingly high quality piece of kit that works very well and was much easier to install than I expected.
- When they're working, they work extremely well, and they're a welcome replacement for the separate brakes and grip shifts they replaced. They look good, too.
- They're easy to fit. To be honest, I threw away the instructions (two giant sheets of closely-typed instructions? Way too confusing!). If you need help, I'd recommend The Bike Book: Complete Bicycle Maintenance (Haynes)
On the negative side:
- Within a month, one of the sets stopped working. The 7-gear adjustment would only go down (to 1), and then not up again. So the bike was stuck in 1st gear. I sent them back to Amazon, who replaced them. I fitted the replacement, and within 2 weeks the same thing had happened. It appears the ratchet action gets stuck, and won't allow the mechanism to switch up. The second time I thought I'd have a look inside, and gingerly slackened the main screw holding the mechanism together - as I did, I could feel the mechanism slackening off, and a ratchet on the underside clicked back into place. So I tightened it all up, and it all started working again. It's been another 2 weeks since I did that, so I've got my fingers crossed.
But, as I say, when they're working they're great.
As a replacement I bought these from elsewhere because I found them from somewhere else slightly cheaper and I'm very happy with them. They arrived with inner gear cables attached. They were easy to install. What I really like about them is the pressing handle and the way it moves so easily. Compared to my old shifters the pressing handle is slightly longer and moves a little more and is easier to press. In fact it is a joy to use it.
These are super. They look really cool too. I like everything about these shifters.
Unfortunately I forgot to weigh them before installing. But they are lighter than my old ones and the old pair was 440g. So I would say these are around 380g as a pair without the gear cables. They saved weight on the break lever. I have put them next to each other with my old pair and they were the same size.
The ST-EF-29 would gear up only one level on the rear cassette. This one can gear up 3 levels with one push. For example I'm on the 7.th gear on the rear (the smallest cog) and I push once and it goes to 6,5,4. Then I push once again and it goes to 3,2,1 In other words, on a 7 speed cassette I can change from smallest cog to biggest with 2 moves.
I think these are very good value for money. They are perfect in every aspect.
Update 2 years later (18 Dec 2015):
These still work great. These are definitely one of the best purchases I made for my hybrid bicycle. They improve the riding experience a lot. The previous shifters I had were difficult to shift up. These are enjoyable to use.
Most recent customer reviews
It was easy to fit & set up .Read more
What can i say
Switching from a twist grip to a leaver change,
Easy to setup Easy to use