on 9 June 2014
I have read each of the previous books in the Psy-Changeling series and have enjoyed them all. However those where the Psy have been the main stars and the Changelings the bit players have never seemed quite as entertaining. That all changed with Shield of Winter. Possibly it was because I was already fascinated by Vasic. His small appearances in other stories hinted at what an in-depth character he had - after all, guilt is an emotion and he obviously carried a shed load of it. Whatever the whys and wherefores, honestly, I don't care because I absolutely loved this story.
I'm not one to review by detailing what happens, I want to find that out for myself suffice to say the storyline is awesome, the sex is blistering, I cried like a baby, every woman should have a man like Vasic and I adore Rabbit.
If you're wondering whether you should buy Shield of Winter, stop thinking and go do. It's brilliant and I might just have to start re-reading it...now.
on 12 October 2014
Rating~ 4.5 Stars.

I know as with many fans of the series we were all eagerly waiting for Vasic's book to be released (ever since he said he was tired, and seemed suicidal and some of us were greatly disappointed that he wasn't going to end up with Aden). SoW is mainly about Vasic an arrow and Ivy an empath psy, but we see a lot of our favorite changeling packs and Psy's world where we see the impact of what happened in the last book.

While I did love Vasic and Ivy's story it was different than other other Psy books like for e.g. Judd and Kaleb's. In those books we saw Judd and Kaleb kind of learning about emotions and understanding them but at the same time they were very much still in silence in the way they interacted with others apart from their heroines. Vasic is different in that aspect though he did not quite understand emotions like hope but he had someone who kept him from feeling lonely, his friendship with Aden which saved him from a difficult childhood and later with the morality of what they were doing for their race. To me it felt like Vasic and Ivy's relationship came about very easy and without much conflict. It could be because the end of silence or just because they both could feel without any restraints, especially with all the understanding and emotional backbone that Ivy had. Their falling in love was sweet and cute.

I really loved all the scenes that showed the previous characters since it showed what they had been up to and their meetings were all constructed very well to include the overall arc of the series and its effects.

In the end, this was a great read and I can't wait for the next book in the series (Aden's).
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 December 2014
Nalini Singh has done it again and Shield of Winter is a FANTASTIC instalment to the Psy-Changeling series. Every time I think it can't possibly get better she works her magic and blows my mind with her amazing characters! I have been dying to read Vasic's book for ages now and I loved every minute of it.

It's been painful watching Vasic's deterioration over the last few books, he has come closer and closer to the edge and you could feel how tired he was of living with the things he'd been forced to do since childhood. Although we've seen for ourselves how much Vasic has to offer he never sees the good in himself, all he can think about is the lives he has taken in his role as an Arrow and how much he regrets his past. The fact that he feels so much guilt shows us that his conditioning isn't quite what it should be, even at the height of Silence he was obviously showing signs of fracture and the symptoms are only getting worse.

Aden is like a brother to Vasic, they have been friends since childhood and always did their best to protect each other but being raised by a man like Ming was never going to be easy and we all know how rough the Arrow's have had it. I absolutely love the bond between these characters though, Aden is determined to do whatever it takes to stop Vasic from self destructing and he is making sure to send him on jobs that aren't going to make him suffer even more. I think this is a really interesting time for the Arrows, we're getting to see them making their own minds up about a lot of things, Silence included, and they're starting to see that there are other options open to them.

To give Vasic something positive to focus on Aden puts him in charge of protecting a group of E designation Psy, these empaths may just hold the cure for the rot that is spreading across the Psy-Net and it is vital that they succeed or it could be the end for the entire Psy race. Vasic has always had strong protective instincts but Ivy is like no one else he's ever met before and spending time with her changes him in ways he could never have imagined. Their relationship is one of the sweetest Psy/Psy relationships we've seen and I loved every minute of it. Ivy is a fantastic character, as an empath she was never able to successfully hold onto Silence so she is used to feeling deeply and isn't as cold as some of the previous characters were in the beginning. It was wonderful to see how Ivy instantly warmed not just to Vasic and Aden but also to all of the other Arrows, she is a real beacon of hope for them and I think she's going to be the one who shows them all what it is like to have a proper family. I don't want to give spoilers so I'll just say that things get extremely interesting (and very, very funny) when the passion starts to build between Vasic and Ivy. There was a particular conversation when Vasic askes Judd for advice that was absolutely priceless. You've got to give these Psy guys credit - they like to do their research and it more than pays off for the lucky ladies in their lives.

Shield of Winter was an emotional roller coaster, one minute I'd be laughing out loud and the next I would be heartbroken and crying for everything that both Vasic and Ivy have been through. This was a really heart wrenching read so it needed the humour to lighten it up but Nalini Singh got the balance just right. I loved seeing how things are progressing in the world since the major changes in the last book, a lot of things are happening and it's sure to be a bumpy ride but I'm pleased with the direction things are taking. My only worry is that I've now got to somehow survive the wait for Shards of Hope next summer, write faster Nalini please, please, please write faster!!
on 17 August 2014
I have enjoyed reading every single book in the Psy Changeling series and this one is just as good. I have always liked Vasic and was intrigued by him from his first appearance in the series.

It is so nice to read his story and the way he battles with himself for some of the things he was forced to do since childhood is quite heartbreaking but admirable. I like the way he takes on the role of the E's Protector and how he interacts with Ivy, the quiet but stubborn Empath. As for Rabbit, I am in love with him. He brings something special to this book.

The way Vasic leads the Arrows to work together with the Es to find a solution to Silence being broken is very enlightening as it shows his true personality. It shows the determination, strength and intelligence in Ivy to work with all the others to find a solution. It is a long and hard journey but it brings hope to all the designations.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I am sure no recommendations are needed for Nalini Sighn's fan but if you haven't read this series, it's definitely well worth a go. I now await the next book in the series with anticipation.
on 9 April 2016
I have read all the books in this series, and some are better than others of course. This one would have justified 5 stars if I hadn't loved its predecessor Heart of Obsidian so much. To be fair this is probably a 4.9 star book it is just HoO is marginally better. That said I really enjoyed this story about an Arrow with no hope finding his soul mate in the new world without silence. It had everything it needed to make an exciting story. If you have stuck with this series to this point then you need to buy this one too.
on 5 August 2016
This story is very good climax of the psy storyline.

For the net to survive they have to wake the empaths. I didn't know how they were going to do that.

I felt the romance between the two characters as something so real and lovely.

When you read the book you love their manuals.

I find the characters love for each other refreshing.

It is a good read. But you have to start from the beginning to understand the characters.

Five star.
on 26 June 2014
I love all of Nalini Singh's books but honestly...I was never fussed about Vasic. He was boring. Aden was always more complex and enticing as far as I could see and I'm so glad he's getting his own books! BUT...Vasic did grow on me and became more and more mouthwateringly good as the book went on. Ivy, however, was a bit of a bore.
Plot, as ever was great and I thought the ending was appropriate - particularly for the bigger picture of the Arrows.

On a side note - WHEN do we get to see Hawke and Sienna have a massive fight about which one of them kills Ming? Dying for that scene now!
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2014
I had thought that the previous book, the story of Kaleb Krychek and Sahara Kyriakus was my favourite, but Ms Singh has excelled herself with the story of Vasic and his empathy, Ivy Jane.

Other reviewers have given insights into the story, but what I will say is that she truly understands the meaning of empathy, and how important it is to feel for our fellow creatures. Read this story for itself, but also for the message behind it. You will not be disappointed.
on 11 May 2017
Awesome! Can heat melt the coldest ice? Can fire light the darkest corners of the soul? Wonderful book and a must for all Dark Fantasy lovers. From the same ilk as Day and Ward.Get reading!
on 27 May 2017