Shelter Paperback – 19 Jun 2000
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"How very fine it is to leaf through a 176-page book on architecture -- and find no palaces, no pyramids or temples, no cathedrals, skyscrapers, Kremlins or Pentagons in sight...instead, a book of homes, habitations for human beings in all their infinite variety."
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Get lost in this book forever! Be inspired! I keep on finding new stuff in this all the time, loads of great ideas, amazing stories. I think the format makes it even more fun and loads of hand drawn sketches give you loads of inspiration. Check out Homework too and see how many people shelter has inspired. I love it, i bet you will too.
`Shelter' is a collection of photographs and housing wisdom originally assembled by Lloyd Kahn in 1973. The book could be categorised as being somewhere between a coffee-table book and DIY/lifestyle manual. As such `Shelter' can be dipped into for visual interest or for more in-depth reading.
Not only is there a vast selection of photography of different types of housing from around the globe but there are useful pages on everything from woodland management to assembling and putting up one's own timber frame. The main point the book appears to make is that a real home cannot and should not be mass produced, and that "shelter" can be as much about personal expression as about being a means to keep warm and dry.
I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in sustainable and hand-made building techniques. There are also other books created by Lloyd and Shelter Publications that follow on from this book which may also be of interest; this includes a book about septic systems!
The orther gives a short history of the peoples, landscapes and building styles from country to country.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A lot of research has gone into this volume, and good to see all the 'pieces' being brought together.Published 11 months ago by Driftwood
The book is nowhere near as nice and informative as Home WorkPublished 19 months ago by michaela bisogno
An inspiring book. I also bought Homework and intend to get Tiny Homes too! For anyone with an interest in alternative living this book is very good.Published on 30 Dec. 2013 by Suze
good book, have been looking for this kind of books with illustrations, stories in a personal, less formal format. highly recommended for vernacular architecture enthusiast.Published on 6 Dec. 2013 by I Nyoman Gede Maha Putra
Wonderful book full of information on various 'shelters' or homes built throughout the world.
Inspiring stuff for anyone who wants to find a more sustainable way to live.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Planning
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Drafting
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Structure & Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Types of Architecture > Residential Buildings > Houses & Flats
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Home & Garden > DIY & Home Improvements > Home Extensions & Renovation
- Books > Home & Garden > Interior Design & Decoration > Styles & Decor
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Conservation
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Civil Engineering
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Environment