on 29 May 2015
Some of the low reviews doesn't do this griddle justice and is understandable if you haven't used cast iron before. This makes this Griddle the third piece of Cast Iron implement I have in my home. I washed it mildly with warm soapy water, gave it a good rinse and then went on to season my griddle. As I have gas hobs I placed it on top of the gas burners at a low heat to dry off the excess water. I used sunflower oil. (Yes! It will cause a lot of smoke). If you can open all windows, do this on a slightly windy day. Using a BBQ basting brush I oiled the griddle on both sides and then just let the heat do it's thing. It will go dark, which means it has seasoned well. Once it has been used, re-season. It will not take as long as when it was first done. The more you use it the easier it will be to season. Oven gloves is a MUST. If you've had one that went slightly rusty you can remove the rust with a scourer and simply season the griddle. But be quick between drying and seasoning, as rust can set in.
19 people found this helpful
on 19 May 2015
I've owned Iron cookware before, so reading the review about rust I can understand their frustrations.
I've had this for a few months, and used it many times.

It is brilliant for cooking steaks, and really worth effort.
I don't use oil as I cook on really high heat, putting some salt on stops it sticking.

Mines in great condition,
After use, let it cool down (whilst you eat)

Use a sponge and hot water along with plenty of elbow grease.
Immediately dry off as much as you can with a towel, then put it onto a low heat to dry out any remaining spots.
Let it cool down, and put it away.

Never use to detergent.
Never let it soak
Never let it dry

Iron rust, and it rusts quickly.
8 people found this helpful
on 8 September 2017
Expect a bit of smoke on the first use........Other than that it's very good.....it warps/bows a little as it gets hot but works as it should.
I bought this for my BBQ but used it on the electric hob inside over the weekend. It holds the heat for a good long time and I was able to cook steaks and burgers and some lamb chops on it with no difficulty. The searing marks are nice from the ridged side, (not used the flat side yet). The fat doesn't drain off though and tends to collect at the corners so occasionally soaked it up with some kitchen paper towel. Cleaning was easy enough and as with ALL CAST IRON cookware make sure its thoroughly dry before storage other wise it will develop rust, (I lightly oiled it as well).
Generally I am pleased with this item, it works as described which is what I expected.
on 29 June 2014
This griddle was very good value. However, I gave it a 4-star rating rather than 5-star because it came with no instructions (fortunately I know how to get rid of factory anti-rust residue on case iron and to 'cure' it). Food will stick to the griddle until it's been cured and used a bit, or used quite a lot.

The griddle fits on a cooker hob over TWO burners and doesn't give much more cooking space than my circular griddle that uses one hob. The cooking space on the rectangular griddle is reduced by the 'platform' running down one side and which seems to have no useful purpose. The handles are cost iron and attached to the ends of the griddle making the griddle more difficult to manoeuvre than those with wire handles. Your hands will be uncomfortably near the hob. The griddle is big and heavy.

I'd advise that if you want only one griddle, consider how you're going to use it and decide whether you want a circular one to use over one burner or a rectangular one that will sit over two burners. I bought the rectangular one for cooking long fish, and for use on the barbeque, so I'm happy with it for these uses (I use the circular one for more every day cooking of smaller pieces of fish).
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 January 2016
I bought one last year and have used it constantly since. I was so pleased that I bought one as a gift for another who loves cooking.
Never a bad steak and with the addition of a steak weight, speeds up cooking time also for bacon, burgers, chops, fillets, fish, and veg and it sits on my hob permanently and on the barbeque in summer. I notice negative reports show the users are unfamiliar with cast iron cooking.
Once seasoned it will not rust. Washed in soapy water and rubbed with a little oil is all that is needed. Cast iron griddles have been used in homes for over a hundred years and still used in thousands of restaurants throughout the world so they work!
The only reason for a low star rating is the quality of the product, and for the price, the vonshef griddle is excellent.
If you have never cooked with one, I recommend you have a go, and at the price you cant go wrong.
on 1 May 2017
Meat tastes so good and so much fat comes out. So its lower fat to eat I guess. Very smoky, keep a window open. I did scotch pancakes on the flat side and they didn't stick! Press food down hard with a potato masher to get dark lines. Keep the food still so the lines stay in one place. Food taste, smell and look is great. Washing up bit tricky but not as bad as I thought. Stores flat takes up less room in cupboard than a griddle pan.
on 27 July 2015
For this price you can't give it less than 5 stars.
Be sure to season it before you use it. It is a messy job but it will stop it from rusting and the food will not stick to it anymore. In order to do that leave it on the stove until it is screaming hot then coat the surface with some vegetable oil and leave it to smoke for a few minutes. Turn it on the other side and coat it (be really careful!! it is hot and really heavy!) and repeat. Let it cool and wipe the remaining oil then repeat the process. Search on the internet for videos showing you how to do that.
Be sure to avoid washing it with detergent. Also try to dry it after you wash it.
For those who don't know it is really heavy (cast iron) and you may have some issues moving it around.
Personally I am really satisfied with the product.
on 27 May 2016
Excellent addition to the kitchen. Have used it lots, mainly for cooking steaks and the like. Nice and heavy and a good sized surface area. Remember it is iron, so make sure that once cleaned, it's given a rub down with a paper towel dipped in a little oil to prevent rusting. Definitely recommend.
on 11 January 2018
Fill your house with smoke as you burn everything really fast and choke on the fumes for hours after.....great fun for the whole family..
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 May 2017
This was brilliant for steaks and grills. You can use on the oven top and on the barbeque. Easy to clean and no sticking. Well worth it. I even put tea lights under it to keep food hot on the table.