Format: Audio CD|Change

When Lily Allen burst onto the music scene with Alright, Still in 2006, I wasn't particularly impressed with what I heard, but she changed my mind completely with 2009's It's Not Me, It's You, which had great tunes and wicked, witty lyrics to match. It was at that point I went back and listened to Alright, Still properly and appreciated it a lot more. When I saw her on the main stage of the V Festival in 2009, I think it's fair to say that I was a bit of a fan. Then, once that album had finished being promoted, there was an extended period of silence from Lily (music-wise, that is; if you follow her Twitter feed, you'll know she has been anything but silent – and good on her), a silence which was broken by 2014's Sheezus album. I have to confess that I heard a couple of tracks from this album and really didn't like what I heard, so decided to buy it when it came down to a very cheap price. This happened a couple of weeks ago and I managed to pick up the deluxe edition of Sheezus for less than three quid, but I'm afraid that I wish I hadn't bothered.

My general problem with Sheezus is that it sounds like so much other music being released at the moment, whereas, before, Lily seemed to have more of her own style and appeared to revel at being not part of the mainstream. There are lots of autotuned vocals, radio-friendly fat beats and slick production, so, musically, it really doesn't do a lot for me. The lyrics are the big saving grace of the album, although they are also hit and miss, in my opinion. The opening track, Sheezus, name-checks a lot of contemporary female artists and journalises what it's like being a modern pop princess, but I really don't care for it at all; there's something rather unconvincing about the lyrics and the less the said about the music the better. L8 CMMR is another bland pop track which sees Lily enthusing about her bloke and Air Balloon is also horribly generic with a “na na na” hook that could come from any mainstream female artist over the last five years. Thankfully Our Time is a much more palatable track; it's a shimmering, glittery song, admittedly with lyrics that make me wince from time to time, but it's much easier on the ear than anything on Sheezus so far.

Some of the songs on Sheezus are listenable, but not particularly wonderful. Insincerely Yours, for example, is a laid-back funky track, but fails to rise above the ordinary, as does Take My Place, which is surprisingly weak for the muscular power ballad it is trying to be. URL Badman is probably my personal pick from the album, as Lily deals with the kind of knuckleheaded people she meets online with her typical wit and venom (“I don't like girls much, they're kinda silly/Unless of course they want to play with my willy”), although, I have to say again, the music really isn't anything at all special. Social media is also the subject for the likeable, catchy Life For Me, with the feeling of isolation and alienation that being spectator of so many peoples seemingly fun lives can bring being explored in the song; the line about being head to toe in baby food will probably hit home for a lot of people who feel like their lives are on hold whilst they bring up children. The feminist anthem Hard Out Here is also one of the better tracks on the record and is a lot more like previous Lily Allen releases; it's just a pity that the vocals are soaked with autotune, which isn't something I really like at all. The lyrics are genuinely excellent, though.

The best attribute of Sheezus is the fact that Lily has drawn from her own life experiences (being a wife, mother, artist, lover, feminist and victim of internet trolls) and the album retains her own unique take on the world that we've become accustomed to, but this still doesn't prevent Sheezus from being the weakest Lily Allen album to date, by a considerable margin. There are plenty of sharp, intelligent (yet grounded) lyrics that will make any Lily fan smile, but there is also a discernible tiredness to some of the themes; I'm not convinced that this album was a particularly easy or natural experience for Allen, creatively, as the vast majority of the songs on offer probably wouldn't have passed quality control for her 2009 release, It's Not Me, It's You. I realise that, as a man in his early forties who isn't really into contemporary chart music, I may not be the target audience for Sheezus, but I count myself as a fan of Lily Allen's music and there's just about enough on this album for me to stick with her as he continues her musical journey. At least she is definitely still keeping it real.

Bonus disc review:

The deluxe version of this album comes with five bonus tracks, the star of which is her cover of Keane's Somewhere Only We Know, a track that backed a hit Christmas John Lewis advertisement which I'm sure many fans will have bought the deluxe version specifically for, and it is a very pleasantly performed version with Lily trilling, bird-like, over a minimalist, but pretty piano backing that grows in stature with strings, glockenspiel and percussion being introduced to the song with particularly rousing effect. I'd personally say that the first three songs on the bonus disc are very forgettable, the kind of tracks that have B-side written all over them, but the fourth song, Holding On To Nothing, is really very good indeed with heartfelt, very personal lyrics backed with a near-ELO sounding arrangement. The last two songs on the disc make the deluxe version of the album well worth having, if you were going to buy a copy of Sheezus.
on 6 March 2015
An album definitely worth listening to and totally underrated, brilliant body of work! I was lucky enough to even have seen her at the Sheezus Tour and she was stunning live too, give it a listen!

1. Sheezus 10/10
An explosive song to start off the album, a club banger that you'll love on a first listen

2. L8 CMMR 10/10
A great sing along track which works really well on the album and being the second track in

3. Air Balloon 9/10
Not one of my favourites and definitely shouldn't have been a single as it was probably annoying and off putting haha! But if it's your kind of thing you'll like it, the beat is great

4. Our Time 10/10
Sounding like songs updated and modernised from her previous albums, pulled it off incredibly well

5. Insincerely Yours 10/10
Great hooking lyrics and melodies, one you'll love

6. Take My Place 10/10
Amazing song about a very personal and sad experience in her life, the lyrics speak volumes!

7. As Long As I Got You 10/10
A hot country flavoured track. One to listen to in the summer with the car windows wide open, the bigger and better sister to Not Fair

8. Close Your Eyes 9/10
A slow and seductive song, one that will grow on you

9. URL Badman 10/10
An album single, interesting lyrics and amazing instrumental. Love it

10. Silver Spoon 10/10
One of my favourites from the album, definitely deserves more credit

11. Life For Me 9/10
This also grew on me and I now enjoy it much much more than I did at first

12. Hard Out Here 10/10
Lily's comeback single, AMAZING! Instant classic

*Deluxe Edition*

13. Wind Your Neck In 9/10
Features male vocals similar to that in Knock 'em Out from her 2006 album Alright, Still. A really good track which could easily have been a standard track

14. Who Do You Love? 9/10
I really do enjoy this track, you can easily sit back and sing along to it and relax. Great!

15. Miserable Without Your Love 10/10
Lily's favourite on the album and I can see why, a slow ballad type song which is a+

16. Holding On To Nothing 7/10
My least favourite song, it's good but not as much as the rest. Worth a listen though

17. Somewhere Only We Know 10/10
The only number 1 single from this album, everyone loves it! Classic song originally and Lily did it justice!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 November 2014
If you liked Lily's previous two albums, it's a fairly safe bet that you will like this one too. There are some catchy tracks, dripping with Lily's trademark attitude (and language). Some tracks are funny, others are a tongue in cheek attack on people (types of) that she clearly detests (keyboard warriors/trolls for example). All tracks bear Lily's brutal honesty. My only issue is that this album lacks the variety of styles that the previous ones displayed, which made them so entertaining. The track "Somewhere only we know" stands out as being very different to the rest of the album. It is a beautiful song that is perfectly suited to her voice, but even if you did not know the original version, it is clear that it is not written by the same person as the rest of the album. And this is where I have to drop one star: although there is variety on this album, the tracks are a bit samey, in a way that the first two albums were not. Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but I am a tiny bit disappointed with it.
on 3 July 2014
Now then, I am a bit surprised to see some poor reviews here. Make no mistake, dear readers, this a good british pop album from a unique local talent to savour. A little more mature in sound and lyric but still sharp and funny. The range of music styles is as wide as the subject matter covered; from chart pop to brit pop to hip hop. Works very best when Lily sings from her heart about things that matter to her like her hubby (loved up and catchy on "as long as i got you" and "close your eyes") or the music business (cool and tuneful on "hard out here" and hip-hop, Kayne-teasing "sheezus") or the cursed cult of vapid celebrity culture "insincerely yours". She has a distictive and charming voice - and the cover of Keane's "somewhere only we know" is heat meltingly good as you already know. A welcome return - there will not be many better or smarter pop albums this year.
on 16 June 2014
I've been a fan of Lily Allen since her first album, and was very much looking forward to the release of this album. (I decided to buy the deluxe version of the album, as there are a number of bonus tracks that I would have missed out on.) Having only heard the track 'Air Balloon' and watching an interview with the singer on Alan Carr's Chatty Man, I decided to listen to the previews of the songs on iTunes before purchasing it on Amazon.

The disc arrived just a few days later, sealed and in mint condition - the deluxe version of the album is cased in cardboard, as opposed to the plastic jewel case that most CDs are stored in.

As is to be expected with Lily's songs, the lyrics are explicit and could cause offence to some people, so I would not recommend buying it for younger audiences without listening to it first. The tracks are mostly upbeat, with one or two slower tracks, such as the popular 'Somewhere Only We Know' (made famous by the John Lewis Christmas advert).

This album definitely lived up to my expectations and reflects Lily's new, 'grown up' sound - witty and comical!
on 4 February 2016
I absolutely loved Lily's previous 2 albums - I still come back to them now and they sound just as fresh.
I also saw her in concert supporting Scissor Sisters and I thought she was excellent live.
However, I found this album disappointing and full of unnecessary swearing.
I bought it probably a year ago and have only played it twice.
on 1 January 2015
Worth the 5 year wait...? Yup! Maybe I'm biased but I love this chick. Sadly this album although hit Number 1 it has not got it's due. Some incredible songs like the personal "Take My Place", the chilled vibey "Our Time" and the groovy "Miserable Without Your Love" - all make this my Top pick of the year.
on 19 June 2014
I bought this album as I already have her first two and have enjoyed listening to them m This album is similar in format but different enough not to be called more of the same . I like this record like the other two , but the subject matter and the lyrics could be a bit strong for delicate ears but not any ears I know ,oh and by the way whoever I bought it from did a very good job ,to be reccomended
on 18 March 2017
Good stuff but not as good as her other albums. Some good songs though. It's worth a punt if you liked her other stuff, I did.Plenty of witty songs and bad language. Just what I want from Lily.
on 26 June 2017
Excellent buy and more than happy with my purchase and would def buy from this seller again