Customer reviews

Excellent
on 27 April 2017
Excellent
on 17 July 2011
I bought this book because I was seeking hard factual information about the last days of steam on Merseyside. I found what I was looking for, but was not prepared for the sheer, vivid readability of this fine book. I'm happy to report that my expectations of a rather dull list of facts and figures were utterly defeated. This is an extremely well-researched, well-organised and well-written account, which authentically recreates the atmosphere of those now far-off days. The author has gone to considerable lengths to incorporate the recollections of the men who worked the last steam locomotives on Merseyside, which has enabled him to enliven his book with some genuinely fascinating personal anecdotes. There are several well-chosen appendices, which include excellent layout plans of the depots described in the text, and the many illustrations are of high quality. Apart from a few minor typos, the production quality is excellent, especially bearing in mind the modest price. An invaluable addition to the literature, and one which deserves a wide readership.
on 18 April 2012
I hate to say it but I am a child of the 50's and 60's so when I saw this I knew what it should be like! I am not disappointed. I pick it up read a bit and agree and put it down. This is an excellent book for "anoraks" like me. I am learning so much more even though I was there at Edge Hill, Crewe North, Crewe South etc etc.

The local sheds such as Aintree and Walton were almost nightly requirements aah well, they were different times but good!
on 15 September 2012
A superb wallow in nostalgia for all "steam buffs":
Great photographs and much interesting data on sheds and locomotive allocations on Merseyside. Also, amusing anecdotes from former railwaymen of the time.
on 19 March 2014
This is an excellent, well researched book. Living in the North East I only managed to get to Merseyside on a couple of occasions during the late '50's and early '60's and headed straight for the glamour of Edge Hill depot. This book showed me what I missed by not visiting some of the other locations. If only we could turn back the clock. Oh happy days.
on 3 September 2015
My husband very pleased with this book as he is a "shed fan"
on 13 October 2016
A specialist work which delivers on the specialism. Good stuff.
on 1 September 2014
Hassle free purchase, how it should be. Thanks.
on 20 September 2015
If you're in to trains this is a good book.