Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£9.99|
Save £3.00 (30%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher.
Shared Lives: Growing Up in 50s Cape Town Kindle Edition
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I enjoyed the book because it raises the question of how self realisation is achieved when one's life is restricted by being a woman, and by expectations to conform to community norms when the education these women received should have liberated them. Intelligent and well educated, they were expected to marry as virgins, bring up children and run homes for the convenience of their equally well educated husbands and give up their careers and academic pursuits for the convenience of their husbands.
Funnily enough, I actually felt that the author who obviously feels that she was more liberated as she had a husband who determined that she should continue her academic work was equally restricted. She had to study or work in institutions in the cities in which he worked in America. He also seems to have determined her field of study - biography.
The book is very absorbing but not necessarily easy to read. The syntax is at times convoluted and lack of punctuation means sentences have to be reread to make sense of them. The stories are not linear (which I actually enjoyed) because the author did not maintain a linear relationship with her subjects.Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Africa
- Books > Biography > Women
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Boer Wars
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Africa
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Families
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Self-Help & Counselling > Relationships