- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1205 KB
- Print Length: 432 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Joseph Mitchell (1 Jun. 2010)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B003P9X8Z2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #695,608 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Shard Mountain Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Top Customer Reviews
The story centers around two petty criminals, Charles and Jake, who meet on their bus ride to prison. One is a geek with too many unpaid tickets; the other, a stoner who jaywalked at the absolute worst time. The bus is in an accident with a military convoy and the pair, along with one of their guards, wakes up 571 years later. Mutants, mind reading, and mayhem ensue.
In telling this tale, Mitchell requires his readers to engage all seven senses (and then some) as he describes his version of Earth in the year 2581. The post apocalyptic world that he creates is vivid, lush and full of imaginative wonders. Similar to the world of Dune that Frank Herbert created more than forty years ago, this version of earth is as much a character in this book as any named protagonist.
As for flaws, there weren't many. There were a few typos, but they were easily steamrolled by the tale. Also, this book is longer than most. Not a negative by itself, but there are one or two areas that could be trimmed without hurting the story. Other than those minor items, this book was darn near perfect. One of the best books I have read in a long time. Which is why I am giving it a very solid 5 stars!
The characters are believable as is the whole premise of this altered future - details of future are interesting and weird. The characters enjoy more than their fair share of new age drugs, trails, tribulations and beers.
I very often do not read the blurb but head straight into books - and this was s engaging read from the first page.
Have to say I downloaded this to my Kindle on 2 Dec along with lots of other books and have just got round to reading it, its great. If the author is wondering why there are not many reviews could be this is why, Kindle owners have been downloading books at a rate of knots and seem to have a 'to read' queue.
This is the authors debut and has been working on this story for some years already as he states in the authors notes at the back of the book.
Hope we dont have to wait too long for the next one.
I look forward to more tales in the future with Charles, Parker and Jake.
The sample grabbed me. I had no idea where it was going (future unknown or present slightly different?) but I had to buy to find out. The book was devoured it in two sittings. The story was interesting, the characters believable and the underlying humour did it for me. I find it hard to believe that this is the first novel by this author?
All I know is that I'd like to know more about what happens to Charles, Jake and Parker in their futures.
I don't usually write reviews, they usually turn out a mish mash of thoughts, like this.
I also don't usually worry about ski-lifts.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Humour
- Books > Humour > Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Humour
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humour & Satire > Literary Humour
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic