Shanghai Future: Modernity Remade Paperback – 25 Sep 2014
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'An illuminating primer on Shanghai.' ----LA Review of Books
'This is a fascinating and highly original book a difficult achievement given how much has been written about Shanghai in recent years by both journalists and scholars. The author contributes not only to the literature on contemporary China and conversations about the nature of Chinese modernity, but also to interdisciplinary debates in urban studies and philosophical and literary discussions of the future. Shanghai Future should find interested readers in fields ranging from Chinese studies to urban studies, cultural geography to science fiction studies.' --Jeffrey Wasserstrom, author of China in the 21st Century: What Everyone Needs to Know
'This is a fascinating narrative of Shanghai s urban and cultural changes, reflecting the process of Chinese ubiquitous modernisation. Anna Greenspan s keen observations on the history of Shanghai and its current transformation provide insightful understandings of the making of modernity in China, like Paris to modern capitalism. The specificity of urban cultural studies is artfully examined from a perspective of national development. A book which profoundly enriches China s urban studies.' --Fulong Wu, Bartlett Professor of Planning, University College London and author of China s Emerging Cities: The Making of New Urbanism
About the Author
Anna Greenspan is a Shanghai-based philosopher who focuses on urbanism and digital culture. She teaches at New York University in Shanghai.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Ancient History & Civilisation > China
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > China
- Books > History > Cultural History > Local & Urban History
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media Studies