Shadows in the Fog: The True Story of Major Suttill and the Prosper French Resistance Network Hardcover – 3 Nov 2014
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Francis J. Suttill wrote the Special Operations Executive's "Prosper Disaster" of 1943 with Prof MRD Foot, Intelligence, and National Security. He has interviewed contemporary witnesses and photographed the locations of the drama.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Author Francis J Suttill is the son of Major Francis Suttill, aka Prosper, who was an agent for SOE and who organised a resistance circuit (codenamed Physician) in occupied France during WW2. Based in Paris, this circuit was always in imminent danger of discovery by the Gestapo and so it proved. Major Suttill was betrayed, arrested and in due course executed. So far the open and shut case.
The problem was that while in the hands of the Gestapo, Major Suttill appears, either to save his own skin or by naivety, to have been complicit in naming other persons involved in the circuit, bringing catastrophe to the rest of its members.
Having heard of these allegations, the author set out to discover the truth of what really happened that summer of 1943.
So did he manage it?
Well, whether that was ever going to be possible is always going to be debatable. What cannot be disputed is the lengths the author went to uncover every scrap of evidence he could lay his hands on and if anything the text suffers from the overwhelming amount of information he provides. I'm not sure that documenting the content and location of every single parachutage to the Physician resisters adds much to the narrative though it did reinforce the conclusion that someone was giving the Germans good information on where it was all hidden.
Given the obvious inbuilt desire to exculpate his father's memory, the author has produced a surprisingly objective end product.
No one will ever know for certain the whole truth since all the major players are long gone.
But one thing is for sure: Major Suttill was an extremely brave man and, irrespective of foggy shadows, his author son should be proud of him.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
At last a fully researched account instead of a pure conspiracy theory.Published 2 months ago by Dorothy W.
A superb, detailed account of the life and SOE activities of Francis Suttill, and of the Prosper circuit and it's betrayal. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Mr. N. J. W. Hall
not much new in the book when from reviews I was expecting something new.Published 4 months ago by michael morgan
At last some solid information on Prosper- I have not finished this book yet
but it is terrific. Read more
This book was very informative although not as long as I thought it would be. t certainly helped to clarify the position of Suttill.Published 14 months ago by jeff
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Film, Television & Music > Music
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1901 Onwards
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > France
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > Special Forces
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War II
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Special & Elite Forces
- Books > History > Military History > Military Intelligence & Espionage
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Biographies & Memoirs
- Books > History > World History > World War II 1939-1945 > Resistance