Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£12.99

on 3 May 2017
I very much enjoyed the ended series and was looking forward to this spin off. Enders shadow was very different Friday m the ended series as warned by the author but I did enjoy it. The character development was good and the story fleshed out the world of ender in an interesting way. However I really did not enjoy the follow on books in the series. The characters indulged in an awful lot navel gazing which grew tiresome after a while and the plot grew more and more unbelievable as the complexities of world politics were simplified with silly , and to
My taste mildly offensive stereotypes. The plot surrounding the main "baddy" and also became more and more contrived and unrealistic to the point where I lost interest. I abandoned the last book half way through. That said .... the first book was definitely worth reading.
on 16 August 2017
one of the best books I've ever read
on 4 February 2013
If you thought Ender's Game was a great book and wanted to read the sequel then you're reading the right review.

Orson Scott Card wrote Ender's Game, then Speaker for the Dead, then Xenocide....
Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide take place thousands of years after Ender's Game, feature almost none of the characters from Ender's Game and are written in a very different style than Ender's Game (definitely not much action). Speaker for the Dead is an interesting story, but it's more of a murder-mystery and a look at small town family life. It doesn't feel like a true sequel to Ender's Game.

Orson Scott Card came back years later to write the Shadow Saga, following the tales of Bean. The true sequel to Ender's Game, featuring the same characters, the same time period, and most importantly, the same writing style (intelligent strategy / action).

I'd strongly recommend the Shadow Saga to anyone who enjoyed the original Ender's Game.

As this is the first review of this book, I'll confirm that the description is correct. This is the paperback omnibus with over 1,000 pages featuring all the books from the Shadow Saga.
on 30 April 2013
After reading Enders game and Ender in exile, this book was the perfect companion to continue with Orson Scott Card's universe. I especially love how the story of the battle with the Formics, and life beyond that, is retold through Bean, sharing a perspective you would otherwise have never seen.
Would definitely recommend.
on 5 October 2013
I read Ender’s Game when I was much younger and only recently got around to reading ‘Speaker for The Dead’, which got me interested again.

I loved The Shadow Series, which approaches the Ender story from a very different aspect and fills in some great background.
The characters are great, in fact I preferred them to the main Ender books, as someone else has commented Bean’s character is great. The story really has lots of depth, excitement and is quite moving and sad at times.

I would recommend reading ‘the series’ as I found it a bit confusing trying to find out what order they should be read in individually – indeed the shadow saga should probably be read in between Ender’s Game and ‘Speaker For The Dead’ (but I don’t think they were written in that order).

A note of caution!!

I loved these books so much I could not wait to get my hands on the concluding ‘Ender in Exile’ book, which to me was massively disappointing and really took the shine off the whole series, so if you’re a fan of Ender books I would recommend avoiding that one.
on 2 April 2013
A wonderful parallel story to the famous Ender series. I had to go back and read them again just to see which ends had been tied up in the Shadow Saga. Orson Scott Card explores key themes of friendship, loyalty and 'otherness'. Read both series!
on 25 November 2013
Ender's Shadow is an excellent read and a brilliant re-telling of the original story - particularly if you've just re-read Ender's Game, like I just did :-) It really does give an unexpected twist to the whole tale and I recommend it.

As for the other books - well - they are IMHO for completists only. It's not a joy to read-through and the take on geopolitics is - well - let's just say it's a difficult subject to write about convincingly. OSC doesn't really pull it off.

You won't feel ripped off, just disappointed after such a clever 'sequel'.
on 19 March 2014
This is a great series and has saved me a whole heap of hassle and money.
Orson Scott Card is brilliant.
on 29 September 2014
Thoroughly engaged the whole way through - I really enjoyed the Ender series, however the pace slowed down so much after the first book...much more action packed in this series, and it's great getting a look into how some of the other characters think
on 28 March 2014
Even web I was reading Enders Game, I felt as if the author had just dropped the character of Bean and didn't know what to do with him! But the shadow saga more than makes up for it! If you loved Enders game you will love the shadow aaa omnibus