Sexual Politics: Sexuality, Family Planning, and the British Left from the 1880s to the Present Day Hardcover – 24 Nov 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
this book covers new ground and is full of important insights and ideas...it is sure to become an essential work in British political history and Brookes lucid and lively style will ensure that it is widely read. (Kate Fisher, Twentieth Century British History)
Stephen Brooke's work is a fascinating and important contribution...Full of colourful nuggets of history, Brooke pieces together a detailed account of how British leftists made their peace with sexual politics, and found their own ways to be equality pioneers. (Olivia Bailey, Renewal)
Highly recommended. (H. L. Smith, CHOICE)
[Brooke] convincingly argues that bringing sexuality into politics might not just result in accommodation from the centre, but a gradual, powerful transformation of that centre. (Times Literary Supplement)
a much needed intervention in the history of politics and sexuality in the 20th century - a book which students and researchers of the subject will find essential and also, due to the clarity of the argument and lucidity of tone, enjoyable ... a book which should provoke debate and focus minds for years to come. (Charles Smith, Reviews in History)
About the Author
Stephen Brooke has been a co-editor of the journal Twentieth-Century British History since 2004 and managing editor since 2010. He has also served on the editorial boards of Contemporary British History and the Journal of British Studies.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Sexual Behaviour
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > UK