- Paperback: 276 pages
- Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; New edition edition (23 Jan. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0312363761
- ISBN-13: 978-0312363765
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 1.6 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,501,912 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Sex Life of Food: When Body and Soul Meet to Eat Paperback – 23 Jan 2007
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"A sweeping look at how food, sex, and desire are intertwined." Entertainment Weekly"
About the Author
Bunny Crumpacker is the author of two books based on recipe pamphlets issued from 1875 to 1950. She and her husband, a record producer, live in the Hudson River Valley region, just north of New York City.
Top Customer Reviews
The book explores the complex relationship between food, sex, sensuality, our history and who we are, covering all kinds of topics, such as:
whether certain foods are considered male or female;
aphrodisiacs; restaurant decor; comfort foods; food symbolism in fairy tales; the part food has played in politics and an excellent (and intelligently explored) chapter on cannabalism.
The book does jump around a little which may annoy some readers and its scope might be considered ambitious, but if you abandon youself and go with it, you won't be disappointed.
Lots of interesting facts, intelligent explorations of different topics, humour and a really pleasant narrative voice. Highly recommended.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Food & Drink > Reference & Gastronomy > History of Food
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Sexual Behaviour
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Sex
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology